main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Luke Skywalker visit Mustufar and Utapau in Legacy of the Force?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by THRAWN007, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THRAWN007

THRAWN007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2002
    Along with Luke and Leia learning about Padme in Legacy. I think it would be neat if Luke visited Mustufar to learn where his father fought Obi-Wan and was disfigured and became the mechanacial Vader.

I think it would also be fun if there were action scenes set on Mustufar in Legacy perhaps Lumiya fighting Mara over Ben or have a battle scene on Utapau and Luke could learn about Obi-Wan fighting General Grevious.

2. Dread_Lord

Dread_Lord Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2003
    I was thinking along the same lines. More specifically that if the penny has dropped that Padme is Padme Amidala of Naboo they would surely want to pay a visit to their mothers homeworld and find out what they can of her there. They seem to have worked this out between Joiner King and Unseen Queen so surely they would have visited in the year between but this has not to have happened.

I think tho' with continuing revelations regarding whats inside R2 they will visit some of the locations relating to their parents on a kind of pilgrimage to find out all they can. Whether this come in the legacy series or a stand alone book between Dark Nest and Legacy I'm not sure. I think a stand alone book may suit it better. Dark Pilgrimage, how does that sound? Dark Revelations? Dark Journey? Oh, that's been done. It'll be interesting tho'.

-Dread-

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I've had enough of EU authors always entitling their novels with "dark". Let's have an original sounding name for once.

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Considering that Artoo witnessed Vader strangling Padme', and the "opening rounds" between Vader & Obi-Wan, I wouldn't put it past the little droid that this is the "big secret" he's keeping in protected memory.

5. Dread_Lord

Dread_Lord Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2003
    I've had enough of EU authors always entitling their novels with "dark". Let's have an original sounding name for once.

Yep, I was joking, the net seems to swallow sarcasm.

-Dread-

6. Bodknocks_

Bodknocks_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 4, 2004
    I think that it would be a great idea for Luke and Leia to learn about Naboo, Mustufar and the like. IMO, that's the direction EU needs to go now that all six movies are complete.

7. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    What's the point really? Are Luke and Leia going to learn anything by embarking on some PT travelogue?

Just let it be a very, very minor plot point in LotF or a standalone novel--even better, comic book anyone?

8. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Maybe if Jacen visited Mustafar... but I think there's too much of the Skywalkers/Solos visting places where Anakin just happens to have been in his life. It's supposed to a big galaxy.

9. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    exactly... what exactly would be gained by going to Mustafar or Utapau? will it bring them some vital information that will reveal everything about their parents' relationship? or Obi-wan's character?

most likely, we'll get all this learning about mom and dad and obi stuff finished in the swarm war, so we don't need them trekking off to every point that might be important in their private history looking for witnesses or diaries or holorecordings...

oh look. this polis massan droid has a recording of me and sis being born.. what's mom saying? still good in him? heh.. i already knew it, since i saved him. yoda looks a little non-muppety though.. and what's that guy from L.A. Law doing here?

10. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Why should he and what purpose would it serve?

Seriously, the authors have an entire galaxy to play with, so why return to the planets from the movies?

And why should he learn all about his parents (aside from a number of vocal fans wishing for it)?

Some things are better left open especially after all the time, that has passed in the EU since ROTJ. The major characters of the OT did well without knowing about the PT, so why turn back there now?

11. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Considering that the legacy will bring everything full circle with the prequels, I'm sorry to disappoint some of you, but this remains a possibility.
    The fact also remains that most of us have wanted Luke & Leia to learn of their mother, their mothers homeworld and the relationship between her and their father.

But why wouldnt they find out about their mother? Would it not be an inevitability? If you looked at the whole thing properly, it would (disregarding the Post ROTJ EU entirely and starting just from the end of ROTJ itself) make sense that they would come into some information on Padme. I mean the spirits of the three Jedi give it away from the off, I never liked the contrived rubbish that was done in the early books to rid us of the spirits of Obi-Wan, Anakin and Yoda. And in the proper continuation its obvious that Luke would have garnered the info from his father. And he'd have to face the awful truth of the past that Anakin told him too.

So Luke & Leia discovering this info is not something that shouldnt be told nor fobbed off in a one shot novel nor in a meaningless comic, that defies the object of the exercise IMHO, but to include it within a major series and use it in a minor way to influence or contribute to a plot point or a turning point in characterisation. I think there are more worthwhile opportunities for this to proceed.

As for Mustafar and Utapau being included in the LOTF series? I would doubt it. Naboo is a definite but is it really worth a trip to those other worlds? I sadly think not. It sparks of unimaginative writing and actually a fanfic based idea. We dont need to visit the planets to get an idea of the info that Luke & Leia are about to uncover (except Naboo), because its the information more than anything which holds the power and is the plot device.

12. Sand_Hill

Sand_Hill Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

13. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    [face_laugh]

14. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    I hope not. I want to forget every bit of the prequels that don't feature Palpatine directly in them.

15. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanos6: Too bad.

Well, first off, Utapau has nothing whatsoever to do with Luke and Leia. It was one of thousands of planets caught up in the war.

As for Mustafar, it doesn't matter. Where someone gets into a wreck and is paralysed doesn't matter, it's the injury that matters. Anakin suffered horrific injuries there. For Luke to stand on the banks of the lava river and say, "This is where my father got burned the crap out of!" And feel alll sad. Well, what's the point? Even if Obi-wan wouldn't have cut off Anakin's legs, he was so badly burned, just by falling on 1200 degree dirt, that he would have lost his limbs anyway, for the fire. It's the fire that caused Anakin his condition, and the proximity to the lava.

16. Kish

Kish Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2004
    I don't know about Utapau or Mustafar, but I think it's more then appropriate for Luke and Leia to go to Naboo. For their entire lives they have thought of themselves as alone, the rest of their family destoryed. But when they learn about their mother, and where she came from, then they can find living family members of theirs, and reconnect with them.

I also think it would be nice for a book to take place on Naboo for once. It's an important planet in the Star Wars mythos, just as important as say a planet like Tatooine, yet it hasn't recieved much attention at all from the literature.

17. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I'd have to agree with the others who say that there'd be point in going to either planet. If Luke was/is going to visit any PT planet it should be Naboo.

18. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    So far, Naboo and Mustafar have been mentioned in The Dark Nest trilogy. And what is all this, "We shouldn't have them visit the planets because there's so many in the galaxy" I've been hearing?

Look at our galaxy. How many planets have we been able to find that harbor life? That's a big ZERO.

And not for lack of trying, either. It might be a different galaxy, but it doesn't mean there's a plethora of planets to go visiting.

19. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Yeah, Naboo is a definite possibility, Mustafar and Utapau, not so much. Espically Utapau, that had little to do with the Skywalkers anyway, unlike Jabiim which was a very important landmark for Anakin. A book where Luke and Leia go to all the PT locales would be very boring, IMO.

20. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    These 2 posts sum up my my thoughts exactly.

21. Bodknocks_

Bodknocks_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 4, 2004
    I agree with most that Utapau should be out of the question. It's just another planet, nothing special needs to happen there, it would only make the galaxy seem smaller. I also agree that Naboo would be a really good idea -- after all, Luke and Leia probably have some long-lost cousins there! (Right?? I'm pretty sure Padme had some brothers and/or sisters. Has this ever been discussed?)

The one planet I'm not really sure about is Mustufar. I agree, Luke going there would be kinda dumb. "Oh, so he probably fell in the lava here, and uh... burned. Yeah, burned a lot."

But then I got this idea. You see, sometimes in the EU certain planets and locations have these sort of spooky dark side connections with them. Like the tree on Dagobah, or when possesed Kyp visits Vader's funeral pyre. I think it would be pretty cool to include some sort of darkside connection on Mustufar, where Anakin/Vader murdered dozens of separatists and then got chopped up by Obi-Wan. After all, Anakin Skywalker died in the ashes of Mustufar -- only Vader remained. (oooOOOoo, spooky, no?)

Since this Lumiya (sp?) character seems to be returning for the Legacy series, I think it'd only be fitting to see a conflict at a location powerful in the darkside. But really, Mustufar or no Mustufar, it wouldn't bother me either way.

22. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Maybe a mention, "...and we've lost contact with Utapau" or something of that nature. Just a throwaway nod mention, like Rutan and Senali in Force Heretic.

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, Luke and Leai kriffing live on Coruscant, and Luke spent 19 years on his father's home planet. How's that for a PT planetary visit? But really, Naboo is the only logical place to visit, as it has such a strong connection to their mother and their heritage. If they learn about their parents, they'll definitely visit Naboo. If Luke lears Mustafar was where it all went down, then I could see him making a little pilgramage. It'd be some interesting psychology for Stover to toy with. But it should have zero story significance, or else it gets real stupid real quick. "Oh, look, the big confrontation just happens to be on the planet my father got all burnt up on! Gee willikers, what a coincidence!" But no other planets really have any significance that could cause a visit.

24. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Would probably be as "interesting" as the parts of Darksaber dealing with Luke and dimwitted-computer-girl playing "This is your life Luke Skywalker".

What would the point even be of going to Naboo? Ooohhh--they meet cousins they have absolutely no real way to relate to. Wow.

25. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Going to Mustafar and Utapau seems pointless to me, although a short trip to Polis Massa might be interesting, and I'd definetely be down for seeing an adventure or trip to Naboo. Pooja Naberrie in the Imperial Senate if I'm not mistaken, so it's possible Leia met her (well, OK, thousands of planets in the Senate, still, it's a possibility :p)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.