main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Luke Skywalker visit Mustufar and Utapau in Legacy of the Force?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by THRAWN007, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMaceSeven

DarthMaceSeven Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 2005
    I would generally be against these visits unless the author figured out a REALLY good way to tie them into the plot of a story. However, I definitely think R2's holos will have a big impact on Luke. For the most part, my biggest prediction is that R2 shows Luke a lot about what the old Jedi Order was like. Since the NJO is a lot different, im guessing that Luke might end up wondering if he really can come up eith better ideas of how to run the Order than Yoda himself did.

I think this might have something to do with Legacy of the Force, but I hope he doesn't make a lot of random visits unless they tie in really well.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Mustafar would probably be pointless- the facility was pretty welld evastated, and the environment would not leave much of anything behind worth finding.

Utapau, on the other hand, while I can't see having any particular use in LOTF, I could efinitely see that popping up in a future issue of Rebellion- afterall, the Utapauans were apparently enslaved after Order 66, so it makes sense they'd have freedom fighters and a general anti-Empire viewpoint (tough I could see them having similar views to the Jabiimi what with the Republic betraying them and probably not being very trusting of the Rebels now).

3. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    What would the point even be of going to Naboo? Ooohhh--they meet cousins they have absolutely no real way to relate to. Wow.

Well considering they are learning who their mother is (and in TUQ finally learn where she is from), I think its a logical point for them to make a trip to Naboo. I can't see the problem with them visiting Naboo. I mean why deny Luke & Leia a chance to see the planet their mother grew up on and even to find their extended family?

It doesn't make sense now that LFL & DR are finally allowing Luke & Leia to learn all there is of their mother.

4. AlphaTrion-TJW

AlphaTrion-TJW Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    Naboo I can see - They'll want to visit the grave of their mother.

Mustafar, there's no real reason to waste ink on it. If they use Mustafar it should be some minor throwaway moment, like have Luke's first appearance in the story be him already on Mustafar looking for information about what happened there (basically trying to put the real man who was his father in prespective too the man he thought/idealized as his father) and being recalled back to the Alliance to deal. Basically just a quick, "I'll be right there." moment.

5. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking if they had Mustafar.

6. Kish

Kish Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2004

Family is family.

I'm sure most people that never knew theres would jump at the chance to actually meet them.

7. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I don't care if we go back to Utapau or not. Going there just to go there would be bad, but not going there just because we saw it before would be equally bad. EU authors never had any reservations about throwing in reference after reference of any number of EU planets in each and every single damn book. Why exclude the PT where we actually see some places for reference?
    However, as the Pauians (I spelled that wrong. You know, Tion Meddon's race) were pretty well civilized and had a very interesting look to them, I feel it'd be downright irresponsible for the EU not to bring in a Pauian character or at least mention them in this great big senate they've got going on.
    Muuns, Shu Mai's people, Wat Tambor's people, Neimoidians. We need more of these popping up.

8. SithDudeRBF

SithDudeRBF Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2005
    I pretty much have the same thoughts about Naboo- its reasonable for Luke and Leia to go there.

Mustafar- nothing to gain. Even as a side note, it would still be kind of pointless to go there.

Utapau- I can't think of a way to tie this planet in with the LotF, but it would be interesting to see what happened to Tion Medon. Comic book would probably be the proper medium for this story. Just wouldn't want the Jabim story with just the planets names switched.

9. JacenSolo48

JacenSolo48 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2005
    That_Wascally_Droid: I believe they already had a minor Neimoidian character in the NJO. Jaina's wingmate in Destiny's Way and Ylesia was a Neimoidian. She died eventually, I think. God bless everyone. -JacenSolo48

10. JediPrincess37

JediPrincess37 Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    Family is family.

I'm sure most people that never knew theres would jump at the chance to actually meet them.

Since I am adopted, I have to agree 200% with this statement. If someone gave me the opportunity to travel to where my biological mother was from, meet her (and my) family, and learn everything about her, I wouldn't hesitate to go.

That being said, I have to also agree with what's being said here. Utapau nor Mustafar have any relevance to the story now, but a backstory featuring Naboo would, I think, prove interesting and finally award readers some answers.

11. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Should Luke and Leia meet Jar Jar on Naboo? j/k :p

12. Knight_Wanderer

Knight_Wanderer Jedi Master star 2

Apr 12, 2004
    DarthMaceSeven:
    Since the NJO is a lot different, im guessing that Luke might end up wondering if he really can come up eith better ideas of how to run the Order than Yoda himself did.

Long story short, at the end of ROTJ Yoda realized that the OJO were wrong, and he'd been responsible for training them improperly. If the authors have Luke suddenly thinking he needs to follow the OJO traning tenets, it's really sloppy storytelling.

The crux of the matter gets hit in DW, when Vergere accuses Luke of making his Order less than complete Jedi. He responds by saying he's made them more complete beings - and that's why the OJO failed.

KW

13. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    Knight Wanderer said:The crux of the matter gets hit in DW, when Vergere accuses Luke of making his Order less than complete Jedi. He responds by saying he's made them more complete beings - and that's why the OJO failed.

I totally agree. If the the Jedi at the time of the Clone Wars had been more like the Luke's New Jedi Order; living and working alongside regular people, married to your brother, sister, cousin, etc. the people wouldn't have stood by and let the Empire hunt the Jedi down.

As for the prequel planets showing up in post-ROTJ literature: I'd love to read a comic series set after ROTJ and the Marvel series but before Luke and Lando resign their comissions, in which the heroes of the OT visit these world to recruit them into the Alliance of Free Planets. Maybe the Big 3 visit Geonosis to get the location of a secret battle droid foundry (on Mustafar) that they can use to churn out enough battle droids to overtake the last working Imperial Stormtrooper Cloning Facility on Kamino, thereby breaking Imperial power that much quicker.

14. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Utterly amazed no one's even mentioned the Power of the Jedi-connection yet:

Utapau, of any of these planets, has the greatest potential to be revisited in a series titled "Legacy of the Force," considering it's one of the earliest known Jedi Bendu enclave worlds...you'd think if Luke were questing for answers to the deepest questions of the Force and the Jedi Order's ancient history, there'd be SOMETHING worth developing there on a revisit.

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Sweet. I didn't like the idea of going just for EpIII. But that would make it worth it. Most importantly, it would be a chance to expand on The Incredible Tion Medon.[face_dancing]

16. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Too right. Chances are he'd still be around anyway. [face_mischief] [face_coffee]

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, they're supposed to be a very long-lived species. A couple hundred years or so. No reason why he'd have to up and die in 60 years.

18. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2002
    Luke and Leia going to Naboo is not a bad idea. Learning about their heritage is important.

I doubt either will go to Utapau, as for Mustafar, maybe just a quick visit or something, don't want to dwell on it though.

I don't think there is a need to go to any other PT planets besides Naboo.

19. Obiyodawinduvader

Obiyodawinduvader Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    It would be hilarious to see Han and Jar Jar have a conversation. I'd give the author who wrote that (or Jar Jar's death) a Pulitzer Prize (those are for writing, right?).

20. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    they should visit dantooine and scour the old jedi enclave dantooine can be healed like telos was

to get to the point of this thread yes i think luke and leia should go to naboo to see there mother's grave perhaps sola and pooja. could there grandparents still be alive? utapau would be nice mustufar no it's an evil world.

21. topher694

topher694 Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    That's what I was thinking too. Given lifespans in a GFFA, it's entirely possible Luke and Leia have a grandparent alive on Naboo. Even if they don't they could have an aunt or uncle that could tell them first hand about their mother. There's nothing far-fetched about them going to Naboo to seek that out.

22. PrincessofVictory

PrincessofVictory Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    I think it'd be cool to see Luke and Leia go to Mufustar, no real purpose perhaps, but still interesting.

It'd probably be better to go to Naboo for them, I think, though. It'd be more interesting, more of their history is there. To go to Theed, find out Padme was a queen, and so much more..

23. The_Red_Blade

The_Red_Blade Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2005
    While I am getting tired of references to the PT cropping up in earnest every time a new movie is released (they're usually clumsily done, as can be seen by Denning's increasingly contrived, though well written and well used, R2-flashbacks) (he had me up until the Jedi Temple one), I would like to see a trip to Naboo. That being said, a whole book might be excessive. As mentioned above, a comic book stand alone or series may work best for this, as it can focus more on the characters than a larger conflict (think Union). In the right format, it could be alot of fun to see the Skywalkers meet the Amidalas.

As for Mustafar... it should make a cameo appearence, if that. It was selected as a Separatist hideout precisly because it was inhospitable and out of the way.Any big story or event centering around it would be... forced, at best.

24. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

What would be the point of a Mustafar pilgrimage? Darksaber's movie locale tours were corny enough.

25. Mandalore_X

Mandalore_X Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    What is a funeral pyre,Where was it at?What book did this happen in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.