main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will McDonald's do poorly with merchandise tie-ins?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by budspencer, Dec 8, 2012.

1. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    I am an avid collector of Star Wars and am collecting tie-ins with a New Hope. I was always amazed at what Burger Chef and Burger King did with a New Hope but always less than impressed with McDonald's tie-in over the years. I remember that they had beautiful mugs for Batman returns and Shrek and such but very poor childish offerings for any Star Wars stuff that was coming out.

I do hope that we will be offered more than just a stupid happy meal piece of plastic Skateboard to commemorate the new Movie. and hope that we can get glasses like Shrek and the old Burger King offerings but i doubt it.

What is your opinion?

Will McDee's drop the ball on this one or perform properly this time.

2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    My opininion as a collector is that I'm much more interested in what Hasbro, Sideshow and eFx will be offering than Mickey D's, but I hope whatever they may put their name to will be cool for everybody who's interested.

edit: I did really love my ROTJ glasses from Burger King as a kid, though! :D

J_Girl likes this.
  3. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Lol!

I never thought of that! Indeed, most of McD's happy meal toys suck tibanna gas. Mugs would be great, I would collect those. Also, back when EpI first came out, McD's had some decent collectible stuff, as did Taco Bell and a couple of others, but everything went downhill after that. I still have a Taco Bell Artoo ornament/toy in the box.

4. budspencer

Dec 23, 2010
    I have the original Burger King Glasses and they are super fantastic, i was able to secure a set on ebay. and Yes on Phantom KFC and Taco Bell did offer some interesting tie in with there plastic cups with plastic characters on top and other toys. But when McD took over everything got super childish and stupid dumb. I do hope that is is begin looked upon by Disney....

5. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Wow. I'm so old I remember Burger Chef.

krtmd and DarthRelaxus like this.
  6. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Do we know for certain that it will be McD's?

It could change by the time the ST comes out. I remember for the PT the fastfood tie-ins were done by KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hutt.

I also remember the BK glasses, fragile as hell, which is why they're cool -- not many lasted. I still have a Han Solo one.

Also, the toys McD's put out for ROTS weren't too bad. They were those little character based figures. The coolest ones were the Anakin/Vader and the carbonite Han Solo.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  7. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Bring back C3PO's.

kevmp, clone3131 and TreborSabreon like this.
  8. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I remember those -- tasted like Captain Crunch AIRC.

9. budspencer

Dec 23, 2010
    I remember Pepsi doing an awesome job with the phantom menace, they were plastering every pepsico products with Star Wars images which was extremely fun to collect. I had picked up a few bottles and other trinkets but lost them in a moving shuffle.

I remember the original cereal promos for ROTJ in canada where we got a small booklet in our cereal boxes. I do hope that there is a lot of food promos around the new movies. I like those. Better start saving some money cause these will get expensive. I am sure that disney will want to have the brand on everything and anything when the movie comes out.

If Pepsi has the agreement still then it is going to be a Pepsi restaurant that gets to do the promos..but then again i am probably wrong...

Darthsuggs likes this.
  10. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I can't wait for the first wave of market saturation. I wanna see life-size cardboard cut-outs in 7-11 again.

11. budspencer

Dec 23, 2010
    yes those are extremely nice and valuable. :)

12. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    I remember some of the tie-ins as a kid for the PT. I think Pizza Hut did mini planets for the Phantom Menace, which were kinda cool. However, I am more interested in what Hasbro does than the fast food tie in.

13. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes sir! I'll be excited to get the first "sneak preview" figure for Ep 7. I remember for TPM the Battle droid with Sstap was the first sneak preview figure in stores. Then you could send away for Mace Windu. Very cool!

Trask Ulgo likes this.
  14. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Double post.

15. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    It will be like reliving my childhood!

Echo-07 likes this.
  16. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I really hope Pepsi continues its association with Star Wars, despite the fact that I don't even drink soda. I honestly can't say why this is, but there are moments in every Star Wars movie that I think of as Pepsi moments - moments that just make me think "Pepsi" for some reason - and they make me happy. Again, there's no rhyme or reason to that... it's just a part of my experience with these movies that I don't really want to lose.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    For whoever gets it - please make things available in countries outside the US/Canada. I don't recall seeing much food-related in the UK for the PT other than cereal promotions.

18. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

Its called "Subliminal advertising."

[​IMG]

R2 looks like a pepsi can with a dome on top. LOL

[​IMG]

19. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Well it isn't really all that subliminal, but yeah it does work. And normally that would bother me, but in this case I just like it for some reason.

True. And the consistent use of the colors blue and red in the movies might have something to do with it as well.

20. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Pepsi also did a good job with the special edition stuff at Taco Bell.

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Burger King respected the legacy of the O-O-OT. McDonald's is totally just about CGI McNuggets.

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I say they should make a peel off contest, like how they do in monopoly when you peel of to see what game piece you have. Well in this one you do it 2 months before episode VII release and 7 winners get to see the premiere with the cast in Los Angeles,

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Echo-07 - if those are your cans I hope they are empty. CrazyMike (other Collecting mod) found out the hard way that they can leak and/or explode if left full for long periods. I had the same thing happen with some old Mountain Dew cans a few years ago. .

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  25. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012