main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Will of the force". What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AnakinSucks, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Why must it end? I know we're getting a bit off topic, but those who have faith do not always use it to gain power. Fanatics who abuse their faith, can and have for power. But there are those who do not abuse their faith in that regard. They still put their trust in something which may or may not exist. Even with scientific fact, people of a religious faith will not accept it. Hence the arugements that continue about creation versus evolution, which continue to this day. You cannot simply dismiss all faith, regardless of your beliefs. Because not everyone can share your opinions. I understand your point, but I'm also showing the counter to that. Anyway, let's be careful how we discuss this. We don't want this to become something that is more fitting for the Senate forums than for here.

As it is in regards to Star Wars, a religious type faith cannot be dismissed by the people who live within the Republic. Especially the Jedi and Sith. The Force has proven time and again that it is more than just power. In Star Wars, you have both the fanatic who abuses it and the non-fanatic, who seeks to understand it's divine mysteries. Hence Qui-gon learning how to become a ghost and Yoda admiting that there must be more to learn.

2. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Well, the way for the fanatic/extremist to go is paved by "moderate" faith IMO.

As I say, it is something for people to hide behind, because we are taught that Faith is a virtue - something not to be questioned.

Everyone must walk on eggshells when the topic comes up (because of this concept), so I think that I will leave it there.

3. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    The will of the force definitely sounds like a faith thing and there's nothing wrong with that, if you ask me. You gotta believe in something, unless you're a complete nihilist. At the same time, I don't see the Jedi trying to attack science or politics. They're not trying to control everything. Sounds fair to me.

4. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Joseph Campbel, Lucas' mythological mentor, termed mythology "someone else's religion."

All religions embody an important truth for their respective believers, believes that others politely term 'myth.' Problems appear when one people, tribe or nation believed that their god was the one true god and all others were false gods, and those beliefs of superiority led one people/tribe/nation to war against another solely because of religious differences.

Yet ironically Campbell points out that all human myths have many common elements based upon Jung's subconscious archetypes, so it is likely that all religions also contain elements of common truth within their respective dogmas, revealed in ways that pertain or appeal to specific cultural norms.

In the Star Wars Universe, many planetary systems identify with the notion of a universal force that flows through and guides all things. We on Earth would do well to heed that fictional message and find/focus on the common elements in our respective religions. For it is very likely that each people/tribe/nation possesses but one piece of the great religious puzzle. Only when those pieces are placed together will a true representation of God be achieved -- and I would not be surprise at all if it resembled the Jedi belief in 'the force.'

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    ^Nice job on that last paragraph, DS.^
    I totally agree.

6. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Personally I don't believe the force has a will at all, the Jedi think it does, but that doesn't make it so. Neither the Jedi or the Sith know much about the force because instead of actually immersing themselves in the natural flow of the force they imprint their ideas of light and dark onto the force and obstruct it's natural flow.

7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I agree completely, though I think like it is with the Force, no mortal mind can truly comprehend everything on that level.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Except the Force has it's own ideals of what is light and dark. That's why there has to be a balance at the end of ROTJ. Anakin restores the balance and the Jedi have fought for years to maintain that balance, while the Sith have fought to disrupt that balance. This is why Qui-gon, Yoda and Ben can speak from the Netherealm of the Force, upon their deaths. They are connected to the Force and know all about it. They have transformed into the Force and are one with it. That's why the Jedi hide and wait until the time is right to come back and destroy the Sith. Why Anakin destroying Palpatine has a larger, more beneficial side effect than showing compassion for his compassionate son.

9. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    We've gone over this before, never in-universe is there any evidence given as to what balance of the force actually means, how the force actually operates, what the force is, or whether there is actually a light or dark side of the force. You can deluge me with as many Lucas quotes as you want, but those don't prove a thing, they never will. Your theory of the force is a perfectly valid theory, but just like mine, it's only a theory.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    In-universe we are told what balance to the Force is. This is found in ROTS, when Obi-wan brings it up twice. That has not changed. It is not a theory, it is a fact. The Force is balanced with the death of the Sith and the story ends in ROTJ. Yoda and Obi-wan doubt that it is Anakin by the time ROTS ends, which is why they place their faith in Anakin's offspring. But in the end, Anakin comes back from the dark side and fulfills his destiny by bringing balance to the Force.

11. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    That's only the Jedi interpretation. The only fact is that the Jedi THOUGHT that's what "balance" meant. They even acknowledge the possibility that it has been misread. They don't have a clue. If I say it'll rain in two weeks and it does, does that mean that I made an actual prophecy? No.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You don't have the ability to see into the future. That's the difference between your scenario and what happened in the films. You are just making a prediction without anything to back it up. Whoever it was that came up with the prophecy, he/she forsaw it as a vision of the future. When the Jedi express doubt, it is because the prophecy is never brought up in the OT. Lucas is justifying why the Jedi don't rely on it, when training Luke. That doesn't mean that the prophecy was never misread. They just assume it was, because Anakin was acting like a whiny bitch.

13. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    Always in motion is the future. It's just a Jedi interpretation.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The future comes to pass, see ROTJ.

15. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    That doesn't mean the prophecy was true. All it means is that one interpretation of the prophecy just happened to occur.

16. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    I keep hearing about this "prophecy", but I have never read it.

Is it displayed word for word at any point?

17. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Not that I'm aware of. The closest I've seen is the prophecy of the Son of the Suns, but that was written in 1977 about Luke rather than Anakin.

"?And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as THE SON OF THE SUNS."

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It was never said that it was about Luke.

19. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It was written back in 1977 when Anakin wasn't even Darth Vader let alone the Chosen One.

20. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    The 'prophecy' is simply a side bar, a historic artifact that anticipates the future rise of the Sith and then a chosen one who will destroy them.

The real significance is that Anakin, despite being labeled as the chosen one and then rejecting that label through personal choices, decides to finally accept the mantle, the destiny of the chosen one and destroy his Sith master -- and himself along with him, fulfilling the prophecy.

21. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    The Jedi give their spin on what they think the prophecy is, but it's never presented as a fact and they even doubt whether they are correct about the prophecy. There are no facts when it comes to the prophecy or balance to the force, you'll try to spin it like there are, but there aren't.

22. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    You are correct, on both accounts.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The story ends in ROTJ. Ergo the balance comes back to the Force.

The Jedi only doubt because things are getting worse and when Anakin becomes Vader, they lose faith in it. But the prophecy still comes true. Anakin still destorys the Sith and thus brings the Force back into balance. The story is over. Good has won over evil, with both sides on the level playing feild once more.

24. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    After reading some of the posts, it seems as if people are simply projecting their own views of morality and religion on what the Force and the "balance of the Force" really means. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas had this in mind.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Doesn't it predate 1977? It's not in the 1976 script.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.