main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Will Rex die in Season 4?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by seCrawler, Jun 24, 2011.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I wasn't really addressing that to you. It was more inspired by someone earlier answering the "Cody vs. Rex" question by saying "which one is still around in ROTS?"

I agree with you about the timing. I would most like to see Rex desert when Order 66 comes down. I just don't know where in the story the show will actually stop, and it struck me that out-of-universe they may not want such a popular character to die (same thing as Ahsoka). But as you said, they would probably prefer to have kids see him die heroically than see him kill Jedi. Those kids will still have to come to terms with that for clones like Cody, or the clones in general, when they watch ROTS... but that is addressed by Rex being molded as "different". I would say the same for Fives, but I think he will die before the show ends anyway.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Marketing wise Rex is worth much more as a hero. I wonder what Cody is worth marketing wise with TCW's young audience.

If the show overlaps ROTS I can see Fives surviving right up until order 66. It occurs to me even though Ahsoka is quite capable, if they go that route and Rex is gonna resist order 66 to save her. It'll take more than him and maybe bird chested Lux (Who knows, maybe he'll be in Deathwatch armor) to help her escape. Fives is a good candidate to resist with Rex and die there. I think Jesse, Kix, and maybe Tup will probably all die between then and now.

I think how far the show goes depends on how long Cartoon Network's got the license for and if they renew after that. I bet season 6 is when it comes up for renewal and the current end game is for that one. But a renewal option could be 2-4 more seasons after that. I recall Dave saying they'd stop when they were ready but I don't believe that. I think the show is going to syndication length so it makes every possible dollar. Although 100 episodes is enough for syndication the closer to atleast 200 episodes the better.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Good points, I can see them doing that with Fives... having him be with Rex all the way to the end and dying in the process. I also think those other clones you mentioned will die before that.

I wish they would actually determine the length of the show ahead of time and plan the episodic breakdown of the plot accordingly. I don't like when shows go as long as possible, and especially not when they have a finite timeline to fit within and a larger plot outside of themselves to serve (both of which apply here, even though that's rare for most shows). It's just the nature of the beast for TCW, and I hope they recognize that instead of just looking at the money aspect.

4. sacharias

sacharias Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2011
    Man, we got a real echo chamber going here. :p Seriously, for the last few posts, it's been "my thoughts exactly" all the way.

I don't recall if I posted this, but that's exactly what I had in mind, as of the Umbara arc. I could see Fives even being the one to convince Rex to disobey the order, and end up "ordering" him to escape with Ahsoka while he holds back the other clones.

After seeing clone vs clone scene in "Carnage", I really think that Order 66 resistance is going to involve some gut-wrenching brother vs brother combat. Before then I thought perhaps they'd go the easy way out and have Rex somehow "lose track" of Ahsoka and let her escape. Not anymore. I think they're going to tackle the issue head on and force any potential resisters like Rex or Fives to bite the blaster and actively combat their own men. If any named clones are on the other side, that could be an intense scene.

If Seerow's scenario unfolds and it's the Wolfpack that Rex and Fives are facing... well, at least I wouldn't feel quite as bad about it.

I think that Dave is trying to do that, but the business aspect of these projects usually takes precedent. Maybe that's why these arcs are so loosely connected - a strong, cohesive storyline isn't possible if the writers don't know the overall structure of the story. Certainly a massive amount of character development could be done for Rex, Ahsoka and others. But you can't have those characters getting ahead of the RL timeline, so that development has to be tightly controlled, and let out in spurts as the team sees the opportunity.

It seems to me that Dave is trying to work within the context of 6 Seasons. He specifically mentioned that when he was interviewed about the Phase II armor - his reasoning being that the first three seasons had been Phase I, the next three should be Phase II. Sorta fits with the double trilogy of the OT and PT, I suppose.

5. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I think ARC-5555 has been built into a formidable character for a reason. He should be capable of out matching a group of clones perhaps better than Rex himself. Wolfpack does seem to be taking on a villainous role in comparison to other clones groups we've scene.

Its a little off topic but I'm going to pose an idea I have about the future. I'm just not saavy enough about Star Wars to know any better. If she show runs long enough, does anyone think Mandalore or Concordia could be where Ahsoka's order 66 moment occurs to tie it all together. That it could happen for her doing stuff that's not really got much to do with republic vs. C.I.S. It seems she is about to become part of the Deathwatch/Mandalore/Satine subplot (Although that might of happened for Ahsoka in a rather unfortunate episode in season 3 I guess.)

Its fits with my personal theory for Ahsoka which is her getting into big trouble and being reassigned to Plo Koon. Its interesting that in the extended trailer it seems Wolfpack will pop up in the upcoming Luxoka/Deathwatch episode which implies Plo may show up in that episode. I can never quite figure out where Rex fits into my theory, lol.

6. sacharias

Jul 12, 2011
    I literally just edited my post to reference your theory. What do you know... :p

As far as Mandalore being a location for Ahsoka and/or Rex's Order 66 moment... hmm. How would the Death Watch fit in? They're not really Separatist nor Republic. I guess if some sort of peace is made (maybe Ahsoka helps bring the groups together) they could provide safe haven for her.

If Ahsoka is reassigned, I do think Rex will go with her, for the purposes of the story alone. It just makes sense - Rex and Ahsoka can both be alive and kicking during ROTS, without interfering with that storyline. Which is exactly what TCW needs, if they intend to overlap ROTS. Exactly why Rex would be reassigned, I have no idea. Well, I do, but no substantial ones.

I do believe that the Mandalore/DW plot will tie in with the Rex/clone plot and Ahsoka's story. Once the Luxoka episode airs, all of those plots are loosely connected, and the groundwork is laid for a very plausible portrayal of Order 66.

7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I think Rex could rock the gray wolf armor. I can see the conflicts with his individuality. Wolffe trying to force him to stop bleaching his hair or not allowing him the paint the eyes on his newest helmet. But then again Wolffe could die before that and Rex could be commander.

Well I had the idea the Mandalore/DW subplot could come to a head around the time of ROTS. Perhaps with Deathwatch taking over or the peaceful system actually diving into Civil War following the death of Satine or something. Ahsoka and gang would be dispatched to intervene or police the situation getting them away from any place we saw on ROTS.

Where else do you thing would be a good place for Ahsoka's Order 66 moment?

8. sacharias

Jul 12, 2011
    First, I should say that I really like your scenario, probably more than anything I've come up with.

But in my mind, the DW/Mandalore plot is already being brought into Ahsoka's story by way of Lux. So the odd one out is the Nighsisters. I can't say that I particularly want this to happen, but it's another potential place where Ahsoka could be when Order 66 comes down. And then (in theory) all the major storylines in TCW can come to a head.

Since I would prefer to forget about the Nightsisters in general, this isn't something I'm anxious to see. Maybe Grievous will kill Ventress and that will be touted as evidence that Grievous isn't the wimp he otherwise seems to be.

For a while I wondered if Maridun (the Lurmen planet) would come into play - both Rex and Ahsoka were turned off by them, and it would be an interesting idea seeing that Order 66 almost vindicates the Lurmen's peace-loving beliefs. But they looks so.... I don't know. I guess they could become TCW's Ewoks. :p

What about Saleucami? There's war on that planet when the order goes out, as well. That could have some significance for Rex, although I'd prefer they left Cut's story alone. I really wouldn't mind a completely new world for TCW's Order 66 scene, myself (I think Ahsoka's Order 66 moment will be TCW's "official" portrayal - I don't think they'll bounce around like in ROTS).

9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Mandalore and Satine were already put into Ahsoka's story even if it was a horrible episode back in season 3 and now both Deathwatch and Lux are coming into it which I think makes either Mandalore or Concordia a good possibility.

I actually enjoyed the Nightsisters/Savage Arc. "Monster" is another of my favorite episodes. However I think it would over complicate things. How to you escape both an entire battalion of clones betraying you and a bunch of witches with stolen lightsabers? I don't think that would work very well.

I forgot about Maridun and I suppose that could be a possibility. Not sure what would happen there other than order 66, fight, and run.

I would rather see Cut not come back but at heart I'd love to see him again. If Cut doesn't leave Saleucami its envitable the war will eventually catch up to him again. I would kinda like to know what happens to his family. He picked the wrong planet. I can see where some big emotional drama could come from revisiting the Lawquane family during the ROTS timeframe. Its incredibly emotional for me to imagine Cut, his wife, and especually his kids getting caught up in this. Cut having to be a soldier again against his own brothers. If this is where then to help Rex, this stranger Ahsoka, and his family escape Saleucami? That's pretty powerful. Cut would also know a thing or two about great escapes, hiding, and creating a new identity which could come in handy. I think the problems would be Cut's willingness to help a Jedi, I don't know if he'd have real positive feelings toward them. More importantly TCW really would be messing with something that was on screen in ROTS. Then again Cut could always pop up on another backwoods planet somewhere else in the galaxy.

A new world could be great to explore as well. I still like Mandalore the best.

10. sacharias

Jul 12, 2011
    Heh, I don't know. What if the witches switched sides and helped Ahsoka and/or Rex? That would be... weird.

Exactly. Not a lot of dynamic opportunities there. The whole "pacifist" question was pretty much dropped anyway (Satine never argues her position very well IMO), so it probably won't come back.

That could be a very intense scenario.

Well, it is a whole planet - I don't think it would be hard to have Cut's farm be a ways away from the ROTS settings. And if Cut's family is threatened by the (former) Republic troopers, I think he'd take all the help he could get, from Rex, Ahsoka, even Lux. With a common enemy, I think they'd get along just fine.

Also, I think it's worth noting that Cut never mentions the Jedi. He references the Kaminoans, but he's silent on the Jedi. Maybe he never did hold anything against them specifically - they're just his superior officers, after all; they didn't put him in his situation. Maybe Cut served under one of the better Jedi, and actually respects them, even though he has no desire to serve under them anymore.

Considering how outspoken Slick was against the Jedi, I think it could be telling that Cut never mentions them.

I'm inclined to agree.

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I guess the Nightsisters could switch sides. That would be strange. I know atleast one wanting rooting for a Ventress redemption here.

I don't think the pacifist question will come back. It seemed like they forgot this about Satine last season. Muridan was one of the prettiest planets. That's probably The Lion King fan in me,lol. I'd like to see it in the newer animation.

Sure its a whole planet but often times in SW the planets feel small. How do you quickly search an entire planet, even one the side of Mars? Your right that Cut would take the help. When I originally wrote that post I was thinking about DZ's Saleucami rebellion. I kinda laugh imagining all those characters together. I'm hoping that everyone else besides Ahsoka treats Lux like some sort of Butters. I guess Cut may not have any grudges against Jedi, I don't think he would of had much of a chance to serve under one now that I think about it. Cut would of only served in the first battle of Geonosis. There really wasn't much point in bashing Jedi really, that might have changed the way things play out if Cut started trash talking Jedi at the dinner table. So I think Cut could of avoided that.

12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Rex got owned in this one. But even though he didn't do much I enjoyed him. His resourcefulness shines and it was cool they ended up giving him two guns for a moment there. Rex's reaction when the torgruta slaves get dropped is curious. He's got such expressive eyes on his new model, I feel more so than even other clones for some reason. He seems very hurt and kinda scared. I wonder what he's feeling seeing this. I wonder what would be going through his mind. He's a lone clone, without his own armor, or the power his Jedi friend possesses. He's pretty much just a man.

13. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Grah! I now we must wait 5 weeks until his face punch scene! :_|

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    In the face punch scene it looks alot like Rex is wearing the gauntlets of his armor up his sleeves. I'm surprised he couldn't hide one of his pistols somewhere. Maybe like Archer's underwear gun. XD

Yeah its gonna be a long wait. They definitely need to give Rex a cool fight now. He got completely owned here. Great catlike reflexes though. If ya pay attention when he's falling Rex rolls in midair so he lands on the Zygarrian. Still knocked the wind out of him. I don't think Rex really got up after that. I bet he was really missing his own armor there.

15. sacharias

Jul 12, 2011
    That was perhaps one of my favorite moments (at least for Rex). He doesn't look shocked (though timing wise I suppose he might have been in shock for a few seconds), he just looks defeated, and then he looks over at Obi-Wan like he's hoping for a cue, or some last minute trick. I really felt bad for the guy.

I definitely look forward to seeing some of that pent-up indignation (you know it's there) come out. He did fairly well in this episode even though he was clearly taken down. I also loved how he had two guns for a moment - that's so Rex. :cool:

I was a little confused when Rex left Obi-Wan behind. It was obvious why after a moment, since Kenobi was clearly overpowered and there was no way to rescue him alone, but the way they left the camera on Rex it looked like they were trying to emphasis his leaving, without showing us why. Plus... where was Rex going, anyway? I wonder if he had his own cover story, like Anakin and Ahsoka - he's another human in Zygerrian armor, after all.

16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That's what I thought. I can really see Rex's powerlessness the moment he steps off the Zygarrian ship. There is mix of sadness and fear in his eyes. Then Obi-wan's got nothing for him. I'm guessing some pent up anger does come out since Rex looks really angry when he's punching that guy's face in during the trailer. I feel like Rex is in this story/comic for a reason. Never read the comic. I'm not sure any clone could fit this role. I can imagine what Fives would do.

I was at first confused why Rex left Obi-wan. Really I was confused by Obi-wan's entire plan. But it was pretty obvious there was no chance of Rex to rescue him. I thought that Rex somehow knew what would happen to Obi-wan and he went straight to the slave auction. Maybe hoping to rescue Obi-wan by himself there or join forces with Anakin and Ahsoka. Anakin even seemed to assume Obi-wan was to blame for his own capture. I wonder what Rex's fake identity in the slave armor was. That could of been interesting to introduce.

17. ObsessiveFantasy

ObsessiveFantasy Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2010
    I sincerely hope not. To be honest, from now onwards if anyone dies I will cry. Now we've got to know everyone, it'll be sad. I think Rex will definitely go up to Order 66, if not beyond?

18. sacharias

Jul 12, 2011
    I think it's safe to assume that Rex will be with us right till the end, including Order 66 (assuming TCW does in fact go that far). He's definitely not dying in Season 4, but this is the only active thread we have for the Captain, so that's why we're still using it.

Basically this is the thread for all things Rex. :p

I really like his parts in these past two episodes. The new model they have for him is so much more... expressive? There just seems to be a sense of empathy about him, even when he's not given many lines. I really like what they did with his portrayal. I feel like we're seeing a different man, after Umbara, even though the dialogue never spells out as much.

Another thing... have we ever had an episode were Rex was the only clone in an otherwise all-Jedi strike team? I don't think we've seen that before. I think that's saying something for his character - Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka seem to include Rex in their little 'inner circle'. After all, Cody could have come along, alongside Rex or instead of him (especially since Rex seems to be assigned to stick with Kenobi anyway).

I wonder if after the judgment calls he made on Umbara, the Jedi have a new respect for Rex, and feel he's more trustworthy than the other clones. I think there's something to be said for a man who can turn on a superior for the right reasons, rather than someone like Slick who's an outright traitor. Rex has demonstrated his loyalty and his honor more vividly than any other clone (I'd say even more so than Fives, because Fives seems more loose in general - Rex is much more sober about his decisions).

I like to think that the Jedi Council recognized his performance on Umbara, and he's being given these sort of assignments as a result.

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    The new model for Rex is much more expressive, that goes for the clone models in general though. I particularly like their eyes. They aren't straight brown anymore but more a mix of chocolate and honey colors that makes the eyes seem much deeper. I notice this particularly with Rex, at times his eyes even seem as though they are being lit from inside. It kinda does feel like Rex is depressed to me in the last two episodes. Both when he's on the ship in "Kidnapped" and here when he isn't wearing his helmet. I know that sounds crazy.

I think Anakin, Ahsoka, and Obi-wan have always seen Rex as a friend and more than a regular clone. I think he already is the third wheel in Anakin and Ahsoka's team. He is Anakin's first in command after all. In "The Deserter" Obi-wan even agrees with Cody that Rex is a smart man and compliments that he thinks on his feet. Interesting that the Commander even admired Rex then.

I can see where Anakin and Ahsoka would of gotten behind Rex, praised him, and bought him a steak dinner after pulling Krell down. I'm sure there would be alot of disagreement in the council. I'm sure some would praise him and many not so much. Anakin would of chosen Rex for this strike team either way. Anakin and Ahsoka wouldn't of let Obi-wan have a choice really. I can also see where Obi-wan would of agreed the mission required a free-thinking leader like Rex and picked him too. Its established Obi-wan and Rex are buddies too. Even though in a close up fight arguably Cody or Fives if he's not off on another special opts assignment would of been a better choice. Fives is particularly deadly as we just saw.

I don't think Cody wouldn't have known any better but to go back for General Kenobi and Fives... he's a little unpreditable. But Rex thinks on his feet, he's adaptable, and he's reliable. Apparently he was the one who found the governor. After the botched rescue he looks back, realises he can't rescue General Kenobi, and makes a split second decision to head to the slave auction and sneak in all by his self. Rex is definitely making own decisions.

This last episode also gave Rex some practice with using a disguise and perhaps an alternate identity that could be referenced in the future. A possible foreshadowing of desertion? I still want more of a reaction from Rex next episode.

20. sacharias

Jul 12, 2011
    I don't think that sounds crazy - I noticed it too. I'm guessing they tweaked his model for the post-Umbara episodes, giving him a sober, almost saddened (or depressed) look at times. Fitting for a man struggling to decide where he stands in a war that's all he's ever known.

Oh I've certainly noticed that. What caught my notice was that Rex is the sole clone on this team - something I don't think I've seen before. Of course one can argue that they needed four people, and Rex is Anakin and Ahsoka's favorite so he was the natural choice.

I sure hope they treated Rex royally after that. Actually, I imagine it might have been something more sober and subdued, considering what Rex must be feeling - I like to picture Anakin venting a bit against the Council, Ahsoka trying to be understanding. I do like that Rex comes across very much "with" Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka in the "Slaves" arc so far (especially with the shared glances and the attempted rescue of the governor) - no signs of a rift there.

My thoughts exactly. I'm guessing that that's what they were trying to emphasis by showcasing his escape. Rex looks back and clearly assesses the situation, then decides to make his break, showing up just in time at the auction. Definitely some on-the-fly thinking there. I like it.

I never thought of that... interesting point. Though I have a hard time thinking TCW will cover the mechanics of desertion - Cut wasn't all that well disguised, after all.

Me too. I'm still hoping. Seems like this could be our last chance to get much from him - I don't see much room for Rex in the rest of this season (unless in the Bane breakout episode/arc).

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Glad I'm not the only one.

I still think for some reason Obi-wan would of picked Rex over his own buddy Cody for the mission, maybe Cody even nominated Rex. Cody does respect him. If you need one smart clone on your team Rex is just the best man for the job. I think all his friends know this. Probably even more so following Umbara.

I think unfortunately its going to be a while before we hear about any fallout from the General Krell incident. Although Ashoka and Anakin probably gave him some nice treatment and Obi-wan likely was Rex's shrink after Umbara I doubt Rex got any metals or anything like that.

I only wish Rex could of done a little more before getting taken down.

Cut tried, he grew his hair out and died it red. Man him, Tup, and Dogma have some really bad hairlines. I wonder if all the clones are doomed to go bald. Anyways, I think most people in the galaxy wouldn't recognize a clone or Jango Fett's face without the helmet so maybe a clone wouldn't have hide all that hard. I imagine Cut went to market just as we saw him in the barn. Not even wearing a cloak. If he had one he'd of gone into the barn with it. Either way Rex perhaps is becoming aware of this and now has come up with a name to use.

Yeah I'm glad Obi-wan will be getting some action in the back half. And I'll be watching for other clones like Wolffe and Fox. Fox needs to redeem himself after the epic fail in "Heroes on Both Sides".

22. sacharias

Jul 12, 2011
    Anyone else think we just might get another Rex and/or clone-centric episode this season? [face_thinking]

23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Unfortunately I think 'Brothers' is Savage and Maul. Oh boy.

24. sacharias

Jul 12, 2011
    Yeah, you're right. I didn't make the connection with "Revenge" following right after. Sigh... what a way to wrap up the season.

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I thought about clones the first time I saw that title myself. Then I remember what we all know is coming and will inevitably the season finally. Oh well, good things come to those who wait and wait and wait. We know we get atleast one clone episode a season. Steven Stanton said there is stuff for the future that will make people cheer and cry.