main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Rey be more powerful than Luke?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthOB1, Feb 12, 2016.

1. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    With the way Rey learned about and ended up using the force, will she be portrayed as being more powerful than Luke?

She appears to be a very quick study. She appears to sense and feel the force at a very "immature" stage of discovery. Her ability to use the mind trick very easily and ability to defeat Kylo gives credence to the idea.

I believe she is and will become more powerful and that Luke knows it. He will be afraid to train her because of this and I suspect will flat out refuse. I see the idea that Luke will turn into an advisor to the resistance and it won't be until he recognizes Rey's "purity" after she passes the "trials" of battling Kylo and even possibly defeated that he decides to guide her with some wise Jedi training. Deep down I believe she may end up being the most powerful Jedi ever. Even greater than Yoda and even greater than Anakin!

2. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Probably.

3. Purple Ren

Purple Ren Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    If they do, that'll be stupid. Luke is a Skywalker, one generation removed from someone born of the force. The only person that should have a higher potential than Luke is Anakin (although I'd believe Leia being equal or slightly higher.) If Rey is more powerful than Luke, the only way to explain it is that somehow she's Anakin 2.0 and that's dumb.

4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    If she is Luke's kid, this is possible. [face_whistling]

Darkspellmaster and kip73 like this.
  5. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I can be easily explained saying each generation the Force sellects an individual with exceptional habitlities to fight the dark side. And this time this chosen one is Rey.

darthOB1 likes this.
  6. Purple Ren

Dec 18, 2015
    I would say maybe instead of fighting the dark side, they are fighting imbalance. But yeah, I guess that could be possible.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I look at it as the farther the generations get from Anakin, the less "Chosen One-like" they get. Luke and Leia aren't as powerful as Anakin and Kylo (maybe Rey) aren't as powerful as Luke and Leia. Over time, the Skywalker family would become less chosen-one like and just a family that's strong in the force.

7. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Where does it say anywhere that force ability is dependent on how close or far one is to the chosen one lineage? What about Yoda? What about Palpatine? What about Dooku? What about Obi-wan?

I also have another theory to that she becomes so powerful the can manipulate time, but not without consequences......

8. Purple Ren

Dec 18, 2015
    In my mind. It's my view of how thingswork. :)

9. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Obviously but you're wrong ;)

10. Purple Ren

Dec 18, 2015
    Do you have proof that I'm wrong?

11. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Actually I do? I'll say it again. What about Yoda? What about Palpatine? What about Dooku? What about Obi-wan? All arguably stronger in the force than Luke!

12. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    Only because Luke was not fully trained. This should have changed over the course of 30 years. o_O

13. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Oh I agree, but since we haven't seen him in action since ROTJ we don't know that. In fact that brings up a greater point of him being more powerful than Anakin since he beat him. And if you want to bring up the fact that he was now more machine then man, then I site you that Obi wan must be more powerful since he defeated Anakin in his prime when he was mostly man!

14. Purple Ren

Dec 18, 2015
    Bingo! We don't know how strong Luke is in the TFA-era.

I do seem to recall that GL has stated that Luke has potential near that if Anakin. I believe that was said in the commentary for V.

Darkspellmaster and nightangel like this.
  15. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    And that's the reason why have to see Luke in action in VIII/IX. :cool:

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  16. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Sure I'm for that, still doesn't prove Rey cannot be stronger than him.

17. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    That certainly doesn't mean that nobody can be more powerful than Luke. Besides this is no longer in GLs control. Micky mouse can go anywhere from here.

18. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    Why should she be stronger? For what reason? [face_dunno] We don't need Superman style invincible heroes. There would never be any danger. I prefer heroes who also struggle. This makes them much more human.;)

19. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    I agree completely. But her being stronger doesn't mean she won't have struggles. I never said she would be totally free from temptation either. As far as why? It gives the potential for her to do and accomplish much more and the ability to show things we've not seen before.

20. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I think it should be Luke who first shows things we have not seen before. He should be the Jedi master with force knowledge of over 30 years. Rey can show incredible things later, but she should still be the newbie/learner in the force. ;) The same with Harry Potter or what would you have thought if Harry had shown more abilities than Dumbledore in the first 1-2 movies? [face_dunno]

21. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Not a fan of Harry Potter, but I wouldn't mind that at all. Still wouldn't negate the idea that she could be more powerful and we might see even more things that only she can and will do.

22. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    but again not so early. In later movies yes, but she already defeated Kylo in the first movie. They need to tune it down a little bit or Rey will not have any enemies to face anymore and it becomes boring [face_sigh]

23. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Indeed I am hoping we will learn of but not see many of them till IX

24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Slightly off topic but isn't it possible that Rey being as powerful as she is right out of the gate has more to do with fan service and the writers own self interest than any in-universe explanation?

It wouldn't surprise me if she was able to do Jedi mind tricks, Force pulls, and effectively use a light saber largely because the people writing the movie thought it would be fun to write for a character with cool Force abilities and thought the audience would get a kick out of it too. Maybe J.J. Abrams was simply thinking, "hey I might only have one opportunity to write a Star Wars movie so I'm going to use this moment to play with all the tools in the toolbox."

It really wouldn't surprise me if that's how Rey initially became as powerful as she is and now they're going to retroactively give us an in-universe explanation for her powers.

25. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    It's very possible I suppose. But I am trying to rationalize my belief as to who Rey is or who she will become.

kip73 likes this.