main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Rey be more powerful than Luke?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthOB1, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    maybe, however - possible

2. Pluvial

Pluvial Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Explicit comments from George Lucas reveal Luke, Leia, and Anakin all have the same potential. Aside from George Lucas himself, the movies clearly portray the Skywalker lineage as incredibly special. Sidious in his final confrontation with Yoda says Anakin will become more powerful than any of them.

Anakin did lose to Count Dooku and Obi Wan. But, these are both very powerful force users with far more experience and training than him. Given time, Anakin would have surpassed them. He did in Count Dooku's case, actually.

Rey could have more potential than Luke, or Anakin. I think that is the most straightforward way to explain what she did in TFA.

3. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    It's hard to say, since we don't know who she's really related to, nor why she knows what she already knows. The path of least resistance way of thinking, is that she's a Skywalker, in which case sure why not.

Even if she's not a Skywalker, she might end up being more powerful than Luke.

Like everyone else here, I do hate not knowing though lol

4. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Interesting possibility. Yeah I think it could be very possible, especially if it turns out that Rey is indeed Luke's daughter and that her mom is also a force sensitive being as well.

Darkspellmaster and nightangel like this.
  5. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Isn't she already more powerful than Luke?

(apologies if somebody already said this.)

6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yes I agree and we never saw a kid from 2 force sensitive parents yet and this might explain why she learns so fast. She might me more powerful, but maybe Luke feared she would become too powerful and therefore dangerous. Could this be the reason why she was abandoned? Or her force sensitive mother never told Luke she is pregnant, because Luke did fear to have a kid with his backstory. [face_thinking]

7. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Something to consider as well, can it be that her power could be strong but different? Like Luke is strong and powerful and his skilled in X, and Rey has a predispostion to Y? Of note, and this plays into two FS parents, Ben Skywalker in the EU was actually pretty fast at learning and picking up force things, it's one of the reasons why he was able to master things due to his mom, Mara, being also a really strong Jedi.

QueenSabe7, dragonchic and nightangel like this.
  8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Be careful - some people here might consider this as blasphemy

JediKnightYJK and nightangel like this.
  9. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    While I don't disagree with this statement, and think Rey might still be a Skywalker, just not how everyone believes, the GFFA is no longer GLs baby. Micky mouse can take this in any direction they want. I am certain they already know that course and it's already set in stone.

10. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    what do you expect? Anakin had another sibling or Rey is Anakin incarnated or a clone? o_O

Darth Smurf likes this.
  11. JediKnightYJK

JediKnightYJK Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 17, 2016

If that is the case they should of depict her like Bourne Identity... Every time she uses a force power she should been like "Huuu??? What??? How could I do this???". You know that would of made the movie much more interesting I think....

12. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Basically this. I prefer looking at power levels from a distance, and distinguishing characters by presence and personality, e.g. Dooku and Yoda, Anakin and Obi-Wan. So I think Rey will be powerful, but Luke will still stand out in his own right.

dragonchic likes this.
  13. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Lol well not sure I want to get into it here. But neither. Let's just say by the end of the trilogy there will be a full circle ;)

14. Forceuser707

Forceuser707 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 23, 2015
    There is only one way the character Rey can remain relevant in this saga and that's not by her following any established story arc or by her being imbued with any kind of exclusive potential.

If the writers know what they are doing the next couple of movies will surprise a lot of people.

15. JediKnightYJK

JediKnightYJK Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 17, 2016
    What do you mean? Like she already knew everything about the force but pretend to not know it?

16. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    So how can she be a Skywalker then as you claimed and it still be a surprise? [face_dunno]

17. Purple Ren

Purple Ren Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    If Rey is somehow more powerful than Luke, there better be a good storyline reason why and not just because KK wanted Rey to be the strongest as an eff you to GL and his Skywalkers (or for other reasons that don't need to be discussed.)

Luke's grandfather is the force itself, that's got to count for something. If Rey is stronger, she had better be a Skywalker herself. (And even then, it's suspect)

18. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    While not entirely spilling the beans on my theory, the events the events in TFA mirroring ANH are done so for a reason. By the end of IX we will be taken full circle back to TPM. I am going to leave it at that

19. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    so you mean Rey is the real chosen one and Anakin was someone created by a dark sider (Plagueis)? This would make Luke as the real tragic hero. o_O

20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm mainly just referring to what we've seen Luke (as well as Anakin and Rey) actually DO in the episodes. I'll be the first to acknowledge he may have increased greatly in power between ROTJ and TFA, sure. But we still haven't ever SEEN that. We've seen a very powerful Anakin, we've seen Rey, who was able to do (presumably without training) things it took Luke 3 years to be able to accomplish, but still haven't seen anything more than that from Luke. Basically, we've seen Rey do over the course of one single episode what it took Luke an entire trilogy to master. To me that seems like Rey has some mad potential-yes, perhaps even more than Luke did. Now, I'll admit it's possible Rey might have had some previous training, before she was left on Jakku, that she's subconsciously drawing from, but we can't confirm that.

I'm simply comaparing what we've seen on screen thus far. If Rey did NOT have any prior training, and after all she was able to do within just this one episode, I'd expect she would be very, very powerful in the Force by Episode IX, or whatever later time we see her having been trained. Possibly even more powerful than Luke, when all is said and done. That's All I'm really saying.

21. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015

This is how I prefer to look at things as well. It's more interesting than discussing absolute power levels and allows characters to contribute in different ways to battles/missions even if they're equally powerful overall or one is generally less powerful than the other. Luke and Mara themselves were a good example of this - Luke was the stronger Force user but would often still rely on Mara's better-developed danger sense and precision lightsaber skills.

I don't know which direction the writers might go in terms of relative strengths for Luke and Rey, but I think it'd be cool to find out that Leia is particularly adept at mental Force abilities, given that she resisted Vader's interrogation in ANH and the few times we've seen her explicitly use the Force have involved being able to sense others.

nightangel likes this.
  22. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    M
    Lol man on man I'm going to have to spill it all; someday. Even though I've stated it in another thread ;). But no Rey would be the tragic heroin in that she will have to do something to protect someone that has great consequences in the universe and for herself, a self sacrifice if you will.

23. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    still don't get it who she is is going to protect? Kylo, Leia... [face_dunno]

24. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Neither. Nor Luke. It's pretty far out there. Still waiting for appropriate time and valuable evidence before I unleash it. But if it happens it cant be known by audience until the end of IX. I suspect there will be hints in VIII but the full reveal won't happen until then.

nightangel and kip73 like this.
  25. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Nothing is far out there, man. Go ahead and share. Speculation is cool.

nightangel likes this.