main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Rey Build A Saber Staff?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Daharis, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Daharis

Daharis Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2015
    I thought it could be interesting to have her be the first live action main character to use a saber staff. It seems like her current staff is leading up to this. Besides, it would make a really cool toy.

What do you guys think?

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I say just keep Luke/Anakins but that's just me,,, But I know jedi are suppose to build there own soo.[face_dunno]

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I don't want to see another Maul double-ender; Ray Park was such an amazing martial artist that he could make that work and look good. Anybody else would likely cut off their own limbs with the thing.

I'm hoping Rey modifies her staff to emit a saber blade from one end. That kind of pike-saber is something we haven't seen yet and it would be a good fit for Rey's skills.

4. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Saber staffs suck unless they are made of some lightsaber-resistant material. What's the point of having a longer range, if your enemy can easily loop your weapon?

Dak Oolron likes this.
  5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Rey with a sword looked cooler than Rey with a staff. So, Rey with a regular lightsaber for me.

I actually think that Johnson is going to include some element of a mystical (or frightening) journey Rey has to take to acquire her own lightsaber (or its components). This will either be very short, or drawn out across the film. I think the ST will maintain the "lightsabers are better when they are rare" ethic, and this will play into that. Rey will actually have to work very hard to acquire one, I think. Though that storyline, whatever it is, will probably have another layer to it that's connected to the broader plot/ stakes, and likely connected to Kylo Ren.

6. MingLives

MingLives Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    Even if a double ended lightsaber could be used in a lightsaber duel it must be extremely hard to use for blocking blaster shots. It's just to unwieldy and the other blade would hit the ground or your own body when the first blade is positioned to block a blaster shot.
    Why wouldn't the other guy just whip out his blaster and shoot you "Indiana Jones"-style"?

Sarge likes this.
  7. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    Maybe. We've been getting strange sabers since Disney took over

Grand inquistior

Kylo Ren

Ezra

All had unique lightsabers.

Sitara likes this.
  8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    They had Daisy learn staff-fighting, and had Rey's weapon be a staff. It'd be a waste just to drop that after one movie. Also, she was using the saber like a staff anyway, so a double-bladed one (or a pike-saber) would be cool imo.

Daharis, Sarge and AmySolo like this.
  9. HullCityJedi

HullCityJedi Jedi Padawan

Apr 17, 2014
    I think she should eventually have her own distinctive Lightsaber, but not yet, perhaps in the 3rd film, have her use Luke's old lightsaber throughout the next film and have maybe destroyed or taken by Kylo Ren and she has to build her own.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  10. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I think she should have a double bladed lightsaber. It'd be great to see it in the films again. And it does suit her staff fighting style.

Dak Oolron and Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren like this.
  11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah I think that she'll probably end up using the Bespin-saber for most of Episode VIII. Then, she'll build her own in IX.

12. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    I'd be down with this, her sword style is terrible and I like that she fights how she, a staff wielder, would fight.

Dak Oolron, Sitara and Sarge like this.
  13. Marshall132

Marshall132 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 26, 2015
    Naw Double ended Lightsaber is needed. She will just modify her actual staff and make it into her lightsaber.

Also Screw light sabers being rare, The Jedi Order needs to come back so We can Old Republic type fights. When Light saber are plentiful people start coming up with ways to combat Jedi outside of other Dark Jedi. The fights get more and more interesting then.

14. AmySolo

Jan 12, 2016
    Really I'd be okay with both, but restricting her to a sword when it's been a staff for however long (based on her style, easily years) seems silly.

15. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    so what if she just uses a normal lightsaber? Or a darksaber like sword. I'm not that a fan of the double bladed sabers. They don't have an advantage. [face_dunno]

7starlight likes this.
  16. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    I hope she keeps her quarterstaff regardless of what lightsabre she ends up using.

Dak Oolron and Sarge like this.
  17. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    My prediction: Rey's staff + the Skywalker saber + duct tape.

18. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I seem to recall a JJ quote where he said Rey's staff wasn't "just" a staff. Anyone else read that, too? I don't think he gave details.

(I'm not saying it's a lightsaber, nor that it'll become one.)

19. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Wasn't it the opposite and it was stated that Rey's staff is just a normal staff? [face_dunno]
    But it is indeed strange that she keeps it still when she travels to Luke, so no idea. [face_dunno]

Dak Oolron likes this.
  20. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    Wild speculation: Rey will use the blue one in e8 but Kylo Ren will take it from her at the climax of the movie. She'll be defeated but probably won't get permanently injured. She'll show up in e9 having made her own yellow saber. Kylo Ren having that blue saber in his possession will be important for the end of his character arc. ...not a spoiler, just wild, unfounded speculation.

21. AmySolo

Jan 12, 2016
    Curious why you think she'll have a yellow saber?

22. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004

I don't have any solid reason other than I think that there is no reason for Jedi to be limited to blue and green. I'm sure the new movies would like to make something sort of new. ...yellow seems like the only distinct 'good guy' color and it fits the connotation of 'rey'. Orange and pink would be new colors but those wouldn't look as good clashing with a red saber.

23. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004

Further on that note. Luke's original blue one defined Anakin's in the PT as having to be blue, as did old Obi-Wan define young Obi-Wan's. So it made sense that those were all blue. It always seemed strange to me that Lucas didn't give other characters more unique colors in the PT. It's similar to how Obi-Wan's hermit desert robes that he wore obviously because he was a hermit in the desert ended up being 'jedi robes' and all jedi wore those in the PT. ...even though Obi-Wan was clearly not trying to bring attention to himself as being a Jedi...he was wearing the 'jedi uniform robes'.

Dak Oolron, Daharis and 7starlight like this.
  24. AmySolo

Jan 12, 2016
    Agreed, but I wonder why the baddies only get red. I mean it looks cool for sure but iirc the only other color I've heard of that (glorious) black saber.

[Petition for that sexy thing to show up in ST!]
    Was it just not thinking things through, or assuming the audience wouldn't enough clues that "THESE ARE THE GOOD GUYS (neon lights)" we may never know. [face_plain]

25. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Skywalker saber in VIII, and a green double staff in IX. That's my pipe dream, but honestly I think she will stick with the Skywalker saber.