main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Rey Build A Saber Staff?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Daharis, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004

Supposedly the baddies use synthetic crystals that make red blades. I'm out on the black saber business though. That doesn't look pretty and it doesn't make sense, with black being the absence of light. All lightsabers are a just pure white beam that fluoresces in various colors. If that beam is black it just looks blank and it doesn't have the beautiful iconic 'lightsaber' look.

Dak Oolron, Heroic BB-8 and Sarge like this.
  2. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004

I'm really not sure what he was thinking. It was a bad move all around - the scene in AOTC with hundreds of them. It would have been better if we never saw any of those other jedi actually fighting. Then if we had only seen Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Anakin with their blue and green sabers, it would have made it more special to see Mace's purple one. That would have been enough to suggest that they have all different colors without having to show them all at once (and look like christmas lights).

AmySolo likes this.
  3. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I'd be good with a single bladed saber with an extra long hilt.

Sarge likes this.
  4. redinight

redinight Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 15, 2001
    I don't know. It does show she prefers a melee weapon over a blaster, which she acts like she has never seen before... This might be a bit of clever foreshadowing... Or not

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I also don't like the idea of her having to settle for hand me downs. Even Luke got to make his cool new one, after he lost his actual hand. As for the color, I kind of like the notion of it being white myself.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Ninja'ed by the 82nd Thrawn! I was just thinking white would be good for Rey. Rey=light=white

AmySolo likes this.
  7. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 31, 2015
    That's all i have to say about this subject:

Dak Oolron and Darth__Lobot like this.
  8. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    i'm pulling for a double bladed one. preferably in blue or yellow, though it wouldn't surprise me if they mirror Luke's progression by giving her a green one.
    can't say i'm sold on the pike idea.

9. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Honestly, I see her using Luke's saber for the foreseeable future.

10. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004

Her using a double-bladed saber would be cool, but that also creates another layer of difficulty for Daisy in her fight scenes. For that reason I doubt they'll do it.

11. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

Yea I'm hoping we get to see some crystal and lightsaber stuff this movie - which could be why they destroyed Kylos saber at the end. Him and Rey may be having a duel story being told

Dak Oolron likes this.
  12. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 31, 2015

Ok that's the second only thing i gonna say about this subject

:

13. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004

hahah. whoa. now I'm worried for Kylo Ren.

14. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    It'd fit in with the theme of Rey being in touch with all of the force; duct tape has a dark side, a light side and it holds the Galaxy together.

15. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004
    After seeing the Cloe Bruce video I'm leaning heavily toward the idea that Rey will use a double-bladed saber. If they didn't that'd be a waste of the stunt double's talents. That said, I'm sure Chloe Bruce can also do some impressive work with a single saber or two at once.

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren and Dak Oolron like this.
  16. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002

Yes, but according to ROTJ, the ability to make a lightsaber is a demonstration that one's Jedi skills are complete.

That said, the TFA sources state that Kylo made his own lightsaber, even though Snoke states that Kylo must finish his training....so perhaps Kylo jumped the gun a bit, which might explain why his blade isn't as clean-looking (though still cool.)

I believe there was a quote that his unstable blade represents his unstable nature. The TFA Visual Dictionary says he used a cracked crystal.

17. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Nice Scorpion kick!

18. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004

I don't really interpret Vader's saying Luke's skill are complete as clearly indicating there's a sequence of skills and that lightsaber-making is the 'capstone' skill. It could be interpreted like that, but I think that's trying too hard to create a hard set of rules out of one sentence. It's more likely that making a lightsaber is one of the fundamental Jedi skills and, because Vader had already seen Luke fight, pilot, use the Force, etc, the only one he hadn't seen yet was if he could make a lightsaber (because he knew it was his own saber Luke had used previously).

Obviously it's very important for a jedi to be able to make a saber, because regardless of what else happens, as long as you can make a new lightsaber (when one is lost or destroyed) you can still continue to be an armed jedi. Being able to make a lightsaber does signify a jedi's ability to go off into the world alone though, because if they can't make one they are dependent on someone else to replace their saber if it's lost.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    What "skills" mean is open to debate. I took it to mean that he has all of the skills necessary to be a Jedi, and that constructing his own blade was simply symbolically representative of that. Because he then tells Luke "indeed you are more powerful than the Emperor could have foreseen."

But as we see, being a Jedi and learning about The Force is a lifetime commitment. And even then, you probably won't even come close to learning everything. There were parts of TF that even Yoda, 900 year old master that he was, probably didn't have time to learn.

20. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I'm not saying it's a hard rule, per se.....but it is important symbolism. Constructing a lightsaber does require trained use of the Force, after all.

Good point.

21. Daharis

Daharis Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2015

1. I think Lucas was just very, very emotionally confused at the time, going through his divorce, and really did not think very hard about the prequels.

2. I don't know why all the Jedi wore robes. Yoda didn't force Luke to wear robes. I never held on to the Jedi being a cult inside a temple on a city-planet who kidnap kids to be part of their society when they are babies. I thought that Yoda being on Dagobah wasn't weird, neither was Obi-Wan being a hermit on Tatooine. A lot of spiritual paths encourage hermit-like lifestyles, and it just seemed to fit Jedi, especially Yoda. I never thought he was hiding there.

3. The robes thing just indicates the lack of imagination that Lucas put into the effort, or vice versa. He just wanted to shove it out there and hopefully beat Titanic in box office sales. Most of the character designs aren't his idea and never were. He had young, creative interns work on characters and he picked what he liked out of them and called them his. Someone probably said, "what do the Jedi wear at this time?" and he went, "uhh, I haven't thought of that. Eh, what did Obi-Wan wear in Star Wars? Robes? He was a Jedi, right? So, yeah, Jedi wear robes. Those were his Jedi robes that he's been wearing for 20 years! It all ties together!"

4. I actually don't even have a sarcastic response for the lightsaber question. On the one hand, yeah, why just blue and green? Cause we've seen it before? Yeah. On the other, if it was like skittles-city whenever the Jedi ignited their lightsabers, it would probably be pretty silly. I support your other notion of showing less Jedi with lightsabers. The prequels were over-saturated with both. Jedi should not, in my opinion, be a collective who sit on a capitol planet and do the bidding of the government all day. They should be on the outskirts of things, helping to heal planets and encourage peace. Only a few should have gone to war. Obi-Wan says Vader helped to destroy the remaining Jedi, and this to me said that there weren't thousands of them. Hundreds, sure cause it's a galaxy, but when there are so many that hundreds can be massacred in battle and it's basically consequence-free, that's where you have a problem. Being a Jedi should be special. Having them get murdered left and right isn't special.

Elle-Wan likes this.
  22. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Now to see kylo's stunt double :D

23. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004

I agree with all of your points here. To fix most of them the PT would have to be scrapped entirely. I'm not sure what sapped his enthusiasm about the story in the PT, but something did. My personal theory is that it was his unchecked authority (he no longer had to listen to any feedback - and he didn't). It really seems like if he cared enough, he could have stepped back and rethought almost every decision he made in the PT.

But on the topic of lightsabers specifically, it was as if it never occurred to him to make them other colors until he realized that blue didn't show up well enough against the blue sky on Tattoine in ROTJ, so he made Luke's green. Then in the PT it never occurred to him to give a character something other than blue or green until Samuel L. Jackson said "can you make mine purple?"

First, I agree that there should have been WAY fewer Jedi in the PT. There should have been 20 tops (and it could have been implied that another ~20 or so were scattered around the galaxy). ...and we shouldn't have seen more than ~5 of them ever light a saber. Jedi are like 'queen' chess pieces. They ended up being used as pawns. ...but each Jedi who we ever saw light a saber should have had a completely unique color. In addition to it being an aspect of characterization, it makes perfect sense from a gemological angle (where all crystals and gemstones have different colors depending on the environment they were formed in). Hundreds of Jedi using the exact two shades of green and blue is ridiculously improbable.

That's why I think Rey will make a yellow/gold one. It was a missed opportunity in the PT to open up the color palette.

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  24. Daharis

Daharis Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2015
    I certainly believe that they are ignoring a lot of precedents set by the prequels, so I hope you are right. That makes so much sense about the crystals all being different colors. So much potential wasted. I would almost like to write a fan fic prequel story just to replace the poor decisions that were made. I will never be happy seeing long-haired Anakin ghost at the end of ROTJ. He isn't Anakin to me and never will be.

Anyway, on point, I do think that they will take this opportunity to create precedents of their own. They already have with the crossguard lightsaber, though I was happy to see that they really weren't crossguard beams but exhaust ports. They totally made them look like saber beams in the trailer. Liars.

I could get into a saber pike, but do wonder if that destroys the simplicity and symbolism of the lightsaber if it can take the form of whatever weapon the wielder chooses. Before you know, we'd be seeing lightsaber bow and arrows.

25. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Will Rey Build A Saber Staff?

[​IMG]