Will ROTJ always be the worst Star Wars film?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Duckman, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jet-Eye-Blah Jedi Knight

star 3
    RotJ good & bad breakdown:

The Good:
    Space battle, throne room duel, Jabba's Palace, Sarlacc pit.

The Bad:
    Ewoks, Princess Leia's face and Luke Skywalker's face (both worse than what they old ESB look), the newly inserted scenes at the end.

Conclusion:

Good out weight Bad, so Rotj = Good.

:D
  2. darthkevin954 Jedi Knight

Whats this 'holiday version' everyone's talking about?

And... ROTJ is by far the best Star Wars film. Notice how it keeps getting better the more of the backstory we know? Thats because Star Wars is at its very core a monomith-tragedy. Old Timer OT fans only got to see the last 3-Acts where the 'tragic hero' (Anakin) is essentially the 'bad guy'. ANH and ESB were so insignificant in the grand scheme of the saga.
  3. RevengeOfJohnnyNova Jedi Youngling

star 4
    This thread is the worst of all threads.

***EoA***

BTW get the hell off ROTJ's back.
    Get off the Prequels' back.
    Enjoy the films that's what they're there for. It's not a contest. All the films are good and correct.

***EoA*** reinforcement
  4. Frank_Booth Jedi Knight

star 1
    ROTJ may be the worst of the OT, but it's not nearly as mind numbingly bad as the two hollow, cartoonish prequels Lucas has afflicted upon the movie going public.
  5. Valkor Jedi Master

star 4
    This must be a joke post. The OT is bash-proof and rightfully so...it has stood the test of time and is beloved by millions.

I love ROTJ! Ewoks and all. I proudly wore my Wicket Underoos back in 1983.

ROTJ is the ultimate story of redemption and it ties up the whole sage perfectly.

Now, when you use words like "worst" you should point yourself to TPM, which I'd score about a 2 out of 10. AOTC gets a 5, while the OT gets 10, 10, and 10.

.v.
  6. Valkor Jedi Master

star 4
  7. RevengeOfJohnnyNova Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Frank Booth

The only thing hollow around here are your posts. Still congratulations are in order.
    You just made the list.

***EoA***
  8. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Hi. Please don't flame or turn this thread into a fight over who can fling superlatives about most dogmatically.
  9. batvader Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's okay if you use stand-ins for curses, but you have to blank the word out completely.

Kids listen to worse on TV and films, ----! :p Curses are the spice in our talk.
    ---

Back on topic. I am with those that think ROTJ is not bad at all. It's not much better or worse than the rest. ANH and TESB are much more important in film history, I agree on that (ANH started it and TESB established the saga, as well as it is perceived as ''the artistic one'' by snobs), but if you judge them as films themselves, they are pretty much equal in quality (acting, plot, music etc.)
  10. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    TESB established the saga, as well as it is perceived as ''the artistic one'' by snobs

Hey! I was the one who called it "the artistic one" in the last ESB gushers thread. [face_laugh]

I think you're right that the differences between ESB and RotJ are fairly minor, though. ESB focuses more consistantly on using visuals and conveying emotion in scenes, but I don't think anyone will argue the Luke/Palpy/Vader scenes in RotJ didn't convey enough emotion, or that the spanning shots of troops on the DS2 weren't interesting enough visuals.
  11. batvader Jedi Knight

star 3
    Maybe the highlights of ROTJ (I might add Luke for once appearing as a strong Jedi) are so strong that some real flaws (easy plot-resolve between Han and Lando for example, and Leia becomes a kitten after she was a tiger for 2 films, too much pot) fail to make me think of it as a weak link.
  12. Cal_Omas Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yes. For ending such a saga as the Star Wars saga, ROTJ will remain the worst SW film.
  13. Darth_Deagol Force Ghost

star 2
    Somewhere deep down I think that ESB is a better film than ROTJ. But, RotJ is my favorite. It gets better knowing Anakin's backstory. In my mind somewhere the PT is diminished to the OT backstory and not as important.
  14. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Not by me. I loved ROTJ back when i saw it when I was 7. Still enjoy it today. Was not concerned about the acting then, not concerned now. That is why I enjoy SW. Acting is not the important thing. The action, story, and effects is what attracts me to these movies. If you want good acting watch any of the indy films out there.
  15. _Xanatos_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    ROTJ was a good SW film and I hear people say well if those were Palpys best troops why were they beaten by teddy bears with sticks and stones, I believe the force was with the Rebels and the Ewoks that day, look at the Alamo, only two hundred people and they held an army seven thousand for thirteen days and that army(Spaniash Army) was better equipped and had more sophisticated weapons. Another example is Helm's Deep, three thundred men and elves, not even half have battle experience and they held ten thousand Uruk-Kai until the dawn of the sixth day when Gandalf arrived. And besides that ROTJ was great for me, the only problem I have is Fett's exit, I do not say death because I believe he didn't but this is not EU. May the force be with you.
  16. Kia-Ruse Jedi Knight

star 1
    Gotta stick my saber in here!! ROTJ is the best Star Wars film for me because it seems to flow so well.

Obviously it's a conclusion-chapter to everything that's gone before but the events unfold with so much gravity that's it's all really affecting. And set pieces??? Whew!!!! Just line them up and you'll see that almost every scene is jawdropping, one right after the other.

1. The Rancor sequence. Our first glimpse
    of how special Luke has become, even
    without his lightsaber!
    2. Luke's victory at The Sarlaac (best
    moment in the saga, bar none!)
    3. Yoda's death ('the last of the Jedi will
    you be')
    4. Kenobi coming clean at last.
    5. The Speeder Bikes. I'll say that again,
    THE SPEEDER BIKES!!
    6. The Final Duel! The haunting operatic
    score that grounds the scene still gives
    me goosebumps, you don't get more epic!!

I've always rated ROTJ higher than ESB so I'm used to defending the film, so if this a thread devoted to defending ROTJ, then book me a room!!!

17. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Urge to kill....rising! Good god...TPM was a GREAT movie! You people don't relize is that it opens up the entire prequil saga. Its not supposed to be all hell bent like the OT. In the OT the rebels have already wared against the empire for a while. But in the PT, its openning up INTO a war. I feel that is with all the others... Theres a bit more eye candy, but the meaning still stands. Also....Jar Jar is a great char.

Totally agree SithLord_Will
  18. Master_Akwat_Kbrana Jedi Knight

star 1
    "And quoting Master_Akwat_Kbrana, I hate Jar-Jar out of my own free will!"

I couldn't agree more.

"The worst Star Wars film will always be the Holiday Special."

I dunno, Caravan of Courage was about the worst you can get.

19. OutlawYoda Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek: How dare you call it the worst Star Wars movie!!! I think its the best one!
    I mean come on! You've got Anakins/Vaders Redemption and fufilling the prophecy, a very AWESOME duel between Vader and Luke with some kick ass music, and the Emperor frying Luke! And the battle between the Ewoks and the Storm Troopers is great! :D
    And don't forget the unforgettable space battle!!! AND the celebrations on all of the planets and all three spirits of Yoda, Obiwan and Anakin.
    How could you hate that movie?!
  20. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    BTW get the hell off ROTJ's back.

You go girlfriend! :p
  21. Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod

star 6
    Wicket Underoos

Oh my god! You had those too!

darthkevin954
    Its not a holiday version, but a Holiday Special that aired on TV between ANH and ESB that featured Han and Chewie going to Kashyyyk to visit Chewie's family to celebrate "Life Day." It is the cheesiest, funniest, most sickening piece of SW you've ever seen. I love it to death. (Just for the laugh factor!) :D

22. NiktosRule Jedi Master

star 4
    No since it is the best Star Wars movie and the best movie of all time. In my mind anyway. The worst SW movie is either ANH or TPM in my mind but all 5 are great so far.
  23. QuiGonHrafn Jedi Knight

star 3
    "Too many people are focusing on the negative aspects of ROTJ, TPM, AOTC.

IMO, they are all great movies, especially when you see them as one big story".

Very true indeed. All the films are greater than all other action/adventure films. Personally I think ROTJ is the worst but I also think it is a brilliant film. I enjoy the Ewoks - to me the middle part (when the team starts to look for Leia and until Luke and Leia discuss Padmé) is the worst part and why the film isn't as magical as all the others (that and the fact that Ford is not used to his full potentials. He is a mere supportive actor in the film. I mean he is the team's leader on Endor and yet he sits in the grass and waits while Luke and Leia chase the stormtrooopers in the byke chase). But ROTJ is a top film that will be remembered for decades to come when films such as Spider-Man films be long forgotten.
    P.S.: Stop bashing TPM. It is a great film, with good dialogue, great acting (especially from Neeson and McDiarmid) and the greatest scene in the history of Star Wars (duel of the fates).

24. GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hmm. Y'know, the more I think about it, the more I notice the tremendous difference between "good" and "enjoyable" movies and TV shows.

I'm starting to think that perhaps Star Wars movies aren't that good from a cinematic point of view, but are more importantly enjoyable. Good films like LOTR, Spiderman and the Matrix interest me(while I hate A.I. with a passion), but I'm starting to find that films proclaimed as bad are often more entertaining (to me at least) than the critically acclaimed ones. When it comes to TV, critics love dramas and reality TV. I hate both. And shows like Space Precinct which were ripped into by a bunch of reviewers, I loved.

Sorry for being OT, but I'd been thinking that for a while.

Also, for a long time, ESB was actually my least favourite of the films. Now it's just above ANH, alongside TPM. With ROTJ/AOTC at the top.

Strange, ain't it?
  25. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Nice to see so much love, for the SW film that will always remain my sentimental favourite. I'm a Luke fan, and it's facinating to see the changes in him in ROTJ.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.