main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will ROTS reveal Palpatine's knowledge of the Chosen One and the Sith point of view concerning him??

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth Sin, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    Will this film reveal what knowledge, if any that Palpatine/Sidious had regarding the Chosen One, and the Sith's point of view regarding the prophecy that they would bring balance to the Force.

Yes, we know Palpy/Sidious desired Anakin to become his apprentice, but was it because he is the Chosen One, and that he understood the prophecy meant that Anakin would destroy the Sith?

And if Palpy/Sidious did know and understand the prohecy, is this the main reason he wanted Anakin to become his apprentice in hopes that it would abort the prophecy? But if so, would it not have been better to have had Anakin killed?!

Anyway, I hope this film reveals one way or another as to whether Palpy/Sidious and the Sith knew about the prophecy, and their understanding and interpretation of it.

Darth Sin! :cool:

2. NoCloneTheories

NoCloneTheories Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2003
  3. DarthNomis

DarthNomis Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 2, 2001
    I would think we wiil see that Palpatine knows about the prophecy and that he twists it with lies so that he can use it too his advantage, i.e. seducing Anakin to join the Darkside with the promise of unlimited power...even over death.

4. Dark-Sith_ofthe_Moon

Dark-Sith_ofthe_Moon Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2004
    ^^^^^

That's how I see it playing out too.

5. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    The more I think about it the less I think Palps knew Anakin was the chosen one.

I believe that Palps saw Luke and mis-inturpreted the vision.

Palps thought Luke was the chosen one, not Anakin.

Hence all the lines about, the emporer knowing if Anakin had kids.......and how he saw Luke destroying him etc...........

Interesting indeed!

6. Darth_Howell_III

Darth_Howell_III Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2002
    Sin, I just referenced the Prophecy in your other thread!

Yes, I do believe Sidious knows of the Prophecy, and it is strongly influencing his decision-making process.

7. Darth Sin

Oct 14, 1999
    I think this is a very important point for the Prequel story and the entire saga to know as to whether Palpy/Sidious knew that Anakin was the Chosen One, and that he and the Sith knew of the prophecy, and how they viewed this prophecy.

Did Palpy/Sidious know about the prophecy, and understand that it meant destroying the Sith? This adds so much weight as to why Palpy/Sidious wanted Anakin as his apprentice.

Palpy/Sidious, if he did know that Anakin is the Chosen One, and knew of the prophecy, then is it possible that for him bringing balance to the Force meant the elimination of the Jedi, as opposed to the elimination of the Sith.

Because if Palpy/Sidious knew the prophecy meant the destruction of the Sith, it would have made more sense for him to kill Anakin, just have let him die when he falls into the lava.

But knowing Palpy/Sidious, he was so overconfident, he probably believed he could alter the fate and destiny of the Chosen One, and change the results of the prophecy to become the destruction of the Jedi order to bring balance to the Force.

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yes, I would assume all this will be pretty vital during Anakin's seduction. I would imagine the subject of Darth_Plaugius(s?) as well as Midicholorians play quite a vital part in all of this. :)

9. darth-ellen

darth-ellen Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2004
    I think Palps knows more than the Jedi at any given point in any of the trilogy movies. He seems to have them right where he wants them all the time.

10. darthvader_ani

darthvader_ani Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2001
    I hope there is some exposition by Palpy about his inside knowlede on anakin, the prophecy, anakin's virgin(medichlorian ?)birth, SOMETHING would be
    cool ;)

11. KyleKatarn96

KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    i see 2 sides here

1-palpy does know about the chosen one..but doesnt understand the prophecy..and thinks if he makes anakin his apprentice..the prophesy wouldnt be possibly fulfilled...

2- he doesnt know about the prophecy..(though this is high speculation with how powerful he is) and he just tries to convert anakin because he sees great potential there

both sides can be assumed right now..and until we see the movie...if the movie even somehow tells us...if it doesnt...we are only left to wonder ourselves and depend on our own opinion unless lucas decides to tell us otherwise

12. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I'd like to see this explained by Palpatine in the movie, but remember how we found out about past Sith history in AotC? Right, Yoda's line about "always 2 there are.." & the paragraph in the AotC novelization explaining Darh Bane. There is a big chance that any insight into the Sith will get explained in the RotS novel, but not the movie.

13. Darth Sin

Oct 14, 1999
    I think it is vitally important to reveal in this film as to whether Palpatine(and the Sith order)knows of the prophecy of the Chosen One, and that they are to bring balance to the Force.

This would add so much more depth to the story to hear and know that Palpatine knew of the prophecy of the Chosen One, and upon learning that the Jedi believed Anakin is the Chosen One is the reason he sought to make him his apprentice, besides the dilemma he faced after losing Maul.

I have always felt that Palpatine knew about the prophecy, but himself did not understand what it meant to bring balance to the Force. And I like to think that he learned that the Jedi believed Anakin was the Chosen One from none other than Dooku, who learned it from Qui-Gon, or heard that Qui-Gon believed he had found the Chosen One before he left the Jedi order.

Lastly, if Palpatine did know of the prophecy, and that the Chosen One would bring balance to the Force, I do not believe he came to understand that this meant destroying the Sith. However, he would turn the Chosen One to evil, and do just the opposite, in that the Chosen One helps destroy the Jedi Knights.

I agree with others that if Palpatine knows of the prophecy, he twists its meaning to deceive Anakin that the Jedi must be destroyed to bring balance for their misuse and inability of using the Force correctly. And take into account that Anakin's own lack of understanding of the prophecy as well helps him fall to the dark side and become an agent of evil.

14. BigRedCube

BigRedCube Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2004
    The entire phrase "He is the one who will bring balance to the force" needs to be looked at in my opinion......so here goes:

Balance Dictionery meaning: A state of equilibrium or parity characterized by cancellation of all forces by equal opposing forces.

In The Phantom menace, there was not any balance....The Jedi were far more powerful than the Sith....as time went on and the chosen one started to turn...he was actually bringing balance to the force, however he & Palpatine tipped the scale towards the Sith.....

in Return of the Jedi, Palpatine is finally killed.....Anakin dies....but unfortunately for the Prophecy Luke is now a Jedi master throwing the balance once again towards good

Is it possible for the Star Wars universe to actually exist in a state of balance at all....or is it destined to tip back & forth???

15. Oropher_Cuthalion

Oropher_Cuthalion Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2004
    midichlorians rhymes with mandalorians. maybe boba is the chosen one. how do u like THEM apples lol jk i know hes not i know I KNOW

cool huh lol

yeah yeah jk

16. BigRedCube

Dec 20, 2004
    added to my last point:

If the Prophecy of Anakin bringing balance to the force actually means that he was destined to join the Sith.....then what did Yoda & Mace and others think the Prophecy meant??

17. Dagobah-jay

Dagobah-jay Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2003

"We shall watch you career with great interest"

18. Darth Sin

Oct 14, 1999
    I think this is something else that should be made known in this film as to whether the Jedi themselves understood what the prophecy meant.

We know that Lucas said that bringing balance to the Force was done with the destruction of the Sith. But in the story, do the Jedi know that this is the meaning of the prophecy?

Because if not, how could they help Anakin to understand what it meant to be the Chosen One?

IN TPM and AOTC, Mace states that the Chosen One is to bring balance to the Force; however he never says that the Chosen One is to destroy the Sith. So I pesonally do not believe the Jedi knew balancing the Force meant destroying the Sith, especially prior to the time of TPM when they believed the Sith were extinct.

And I don't think they know that even now during the time of ROTS. And certainly Anakin does not know either. The Force may have kept this fact hidden for whatever reason to ensure the final outcome of Anakin ultimately fulfilling his destiny as the Chosen One.

But one wonders if Yoda perhaps understood what the prophecy meant.

19. erteno

erteno Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2005
    If Tom Arnold is in the movie, then yes

20. psionblue

psionblue Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2004
    Is it possible that the 'chosen one that will bring balance' is a person that will kill both the good and the bad? The Jedi have gone off the path and the sith are abusers of the force. The chosen one could remove both. If a the prophesy is fated, then the true meaning is the end result of all of the films. The interpretations of the prophesy are biased. The result is the truth.

???

21. BigRedCube

Dec 20, 2004
    so the end of ROTJ will have a new beginning for the Force as the Jedi had gone off the rails to what they were supposed to be and now Master Luke Skywalker can start it a fresh with the guidance of Yoda, Obi & Anakin???

22. patico74

patico74 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    palps has to know about the prophecy i mean annikan knows jedi know annikan is popular and its probally well known that the chosen one is anni.
    but does palpatine believe in it. or does he plant it, or did he think it was luke and thats why he was hoping to kill padme in tpm cause he forseen padme giving birth.
    huh?

23. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    The most obvious answer to this is that Palpatine and the rest of the sith look at the prophecy as the chosen one bringing balance to the force by destroying the jedi.

That is the ONLY answer that really makes sense. Saying he doesnt know about the prophecy does really fit too well with Sidious' character so far, and saying he knows but doesnt care is out of character too.
    But what does make sense is that the sith look at this (just like they do everything else concerning the force) in a completely different manner than the jedi, just like the power/understanding theory. So Sidious and the sith before him more than likely think the chosen one will bring balance to the force "in their favor".

24. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    what if palps knows that anakin is destined (sp?) to destory the sith but thinks that if he can turn him to the dark side he can keep him under control. now the question is why doesn't he just kill anakin and get it over with? well if anakin dies the force can make another chosen one to get rid of palps. so by keeping anakin alive as his slave vader not only is he insuring that vader won't/can't usurp him but the force can't bring another One.

remember luke isn't a chosen one he just gets anakin to fullfil his destiny.

25. NYHC

NYHC Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    From AotC:
    ---------------------------------------------------

Palpatine: You don't need guidance, Anakin. In time, you will learn to trust your feelings. Then, you will be invincible. I have said it many times, you are the most gifted Jedi I have ever met.

Anakin: Thank you, Your Excellency.

Palpatine: I see you becoming the greatest of all the Jedi, Anakin. Even more powerful than Master Yoda.
    ----------------------------------------------------

I think he knows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.