main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will SpikeTV hurt a re-release Star Wars saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by WhiskeyGold, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    When the SE was released in 1997 Star Wars kind of old and forgotten in away. You never saw it on TV, if you did 99% of the time, for some reason, it was only ANH. Sure you had video but that was about it. However new fans or newer fans that grow up on the prequels see Star Wars about once a month on SpikeTV! There can't be much longing to see the prequels for that that grow up on it. Back when we had the OT the TV was small, simple. In 1997 this was a great way to watch Star Wars again. However a lot of people now have TV systems better than the theater screens. So to get someone to come out that has seen the Star Wars on a great HD TV has to be a lot harder. Maybe Lucas will limit the times SpikeTV or others will show it and maybe after the blue-ray release hold off on Star Wars until 2012 to give people a longing for it. Make them miss it.

2. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Well with the blu-ray it's seeing something in an even higher quality than what is shown on television to date, so I don't think that will halt sales for that. As for the the re-release in theaters, that's going to be in 3-D, and everyone will be excited to see Star- Wars in 3-D regardless of how great a home-entertainment system they have. Also, seeing Star Wars in theaters is an experiance all it's own that can't be equalled at home. Plus, this is Star Wars, you really think there's going to be a problem with people not seeing it regardless of what they got? How many people own multiple copies of both trilogoes, even though they all probably have the same thing with one little difference on each set.

3. kenkraly2007

kenkraly2007 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2007
    Simple answer no spike tv will not hurt a re-release of the saga either on blu-ray or in the theaters in 3-D because the blu-rays of the star wars films will be better than anything that has been on tv and also on dvd and vhs. And anytime you see a star wars film in a theater it is something that words cannot decuribe.

4. Fat_Rancor_Keeper

Fat_Rancor_Keeper Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2010
    Good question...I don't think the Spike airings will hurt the 3D releases because those are going to be unique theatrical experiences featuring converted versions of the films we've never seen before.

However, I'd venture to say the tv airings could hurt the Blu releases IF it turns out LFL is lazy and the blu's end up just being better looking versions of what's on Spike any given afternoon. In other words, no fixes in audio and visual elements, no CG Yoda, no tweaks...etc...in other words if they hold back yet again.
    For me at least just having some cool extras wouldn't quite make it worth it to upgrade. Again I realize the blu's should at least look better than what's on tv, but even with it's flaws the tv versions are decent enough to watch.

5. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    I don't care if they use the original film reels from the premier in 1977 I'm still seeing it. Probably go home and watch it on Spike too.

6. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I have intentionally not watched a Star Wars film in close to 2 years, specifically because I had a feeling that the 3D or a blu ray release would eventually come, and I wanted the experience to be fresh when I saw it in theaters again. I probably won't watch the blu ray release before the 3D rerelease either, because I want to be able to recapture some of the magic of seeing it on the big screen again....

7. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Actually, many fans would prefer that, haha.

I don't know about Spike TV causing problems for the films, because (a) I remember when I got into SW in the early-mid-90s, it was shown on USA (my first times seeing it were tapings of these, VHSes titled "Star Wars," "The Second One," and "Return of the Jedi"). Also (b) the 3d aspect of it will probably be a different enough experience for many to warrant additional viewings. Assuming 3d doesn't become totally passe by then.

8. JRoll

JRoll Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2010
    Actually, the movies are shown just as frequently as they always were before 1997. The Star Wars movies have always been shown as a marathon on holiday weekends. I remember watching Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi on Presidents Day Weekend in 1990 when I was in highschool. I also remember that it would always be shown on SciFi every Christmas.

If you're a SW fan, you can never get enough of the movies, so seeing them on TV doesn't make a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.