main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Star Wars Do For Television As It Did For The Movie Industry?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by MooMoney, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MooMoney

MooMoney Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    Despite what everyone else is saying I am sticking to my belief that television will change because of this Star Wars television series...

A television show like everything else is like a product and, when a new product comes out that is instantly a hit other manufactures and companies will what to distribute their own verison of that popular product because they know it will sell...

What I am trying to say is Star War will undoubtingly be an instant success and achieve high popluarity which, as a result make it harder for recent television shows to compete against it. So in order for other networks and producers to keep up, especially with the ratings, they to will have to come up with a similar product like Star Wars.

I mean the same could be said about the movie industry once Episode IV came out for the very first time. All of a sudden you had these movies dedicated to SCI-FI and fantacy revolved around over the top special effects. I mean even Star Trek which, was before Star Wars must I remind you all of a sudden found its way on to the big screen.

So when I say Star Wars will change television as it did the movie industry what I am saying is be prepared to see more television shows dedicated to fantacy and SCI-FI, expect more shows to focus on the effects opposed to the writng and things of that nature...

In additon, I strongly believe when the Star Wars television series finally airs it will mark the begining of fantacy and imagination and the end of reality television that in my mind as reached its peak...

2. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Yes, this new SW tv series could be the return of storytelling to mainstream tv, instead of this rediculous reality tv that is supposedly so popular now.

Also, I think the DVD releases of "season 1, 2, etc" boxed sets of the series will become the most popular tv show DVDs of all time.

This series is going to be tough though, imho. It will come out on the distant heels of ROTS, the freshest SW "thing" on people's minds. ROTS is one of the best recieved episodes of the SW saga, so hopefully the tv series will find a way to not disappoint.

Edit: And I foresee a day when SW fans frequent this board discussing the tv show with almost the same fervor as the days, weeks, and months leading up to the PT films.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Yes, this new SW tv series could be the return of storytelling to mainstream tv, instead of this rediculous reality tv that is supposedly so popular now.<<

Actually, I think you'll start to see a large decline in reality TV over the next couple years- as their starting to die off already (with exception to the 4 or 5 ones that have steadily remained successful like Survivor and The Apprentice).

If anything, Lost seems to have kick-started the shift away from reality TV, as now everyone is starting to get supernatural shows in the pipeline to try and cash in on that show's huge success.

Probably won't be much left for the SW show to change, in that regards, by time it hits the air.

Ya figure Lost will be in it's 3rd or 4th season (out of a projected 5-8) by then, BSG will be in it's 3rd or 4th too and SG-1 will be in it's 10th or 11th.

4. hitmbig

hitmbig Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 6, 2004
    Well hopefully the show has some serious twists and great writing. Writing will make or break it. Since it is Star Wars it's immediate success is for sure.

5. MooMoney

Mar 30, 2005
    Alright, I understand that there are already shows on television dedicated to SCI-FI...

Yet, I don't think some people are seeing the big picture. Star Wars will be the first SCI-FI television series to be aired on a major network during prime time television. This as a result will pave the way for more SCI-FI and fantacy television shows to make it on a major network during primetime as well.

And, even though Star-gate and Battle-Star Galatica are great SCI-FI television series they did not possess the kind of impact or force to push other networks to consider making other SCI-FI television series or even have to force (no pun-intended) to convert people to like SCI-FI that never did to beign with that Star Wars will have.

Based on these two facts is why I believe Star Wars will do much more and then some then the other SCI-FI series being aired on television

Side-note: Even though reality television is steadily
    becoming more and more unpopular, there are still reality television shows being aired and produced. I mean a new reality show called "Beauty and the Geek" is schedualed to be aired soon. When I say Star Wars will mark the begining of fantacy teleivion and the end of reality television I mean reality television is pretty much no more meaning, there aren't any new reality shows coming out, produced or thought up even and, the re-runs of reality television shows are taken off the air as well...

6. evilniell

evilniell Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    Yet, I don't think some people are seeing the big picture. Star Wars will be the first SCI-FI television series to be aired on a major network during prime time television. This as a result will pave the way for more SCI-FI and fantacy television shows to make it on a major network during primetime as well.

What? Here's a short list of the science fiction shows that have been on a major network during prime-time:

The Twilight Zone
    The Outer Limits
    Lost in Space
    Star Trek
    Battlestar Galactica (1978)
    Buck Rogers
    V
    The X-Files
    Firefly
    Lost

This is a very short list that I came up with while I'm still groggy from having just woke up. There are many, many, many more. Granted, not all of them set the world on fire, but some of the did, and changed television afterwards. Who can deny the impact of The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, or the X-Files?

And, even though Star-gate and Battle-Star Galatica are great SCI-FI television series they did not possess the kind of impact or force to push other networks to consider making other SCI-FI television series or even have to force (no pun-intended) to convert people to like SCI-FI that never did to beign with that Star Wars will have.

Now, this I do agree with. However, Star Wars is a special case, and 99.9% of whatever other networks come up with to compete with, or to feed off of, Star Wars, will fail within the first 13 episodes. It will be like what happened with the X-files. Everyone wanted their show like that, but none succeded, excepte for JAG, which wasn't sci-fi, but had a similar feel to it.

7. MooMoney

Mar 30, 2005
    I like to restate the comment I made earlier about Star Wars being the first SCI-FI series to be on a major network during primetime. What I should of said was Star Wars will be the first SCI-FI series in be aired on a major television network during primetime in a very long time.

And, when I said major television network I was thinking more on the lines of CBS, ABC or NBC which, and correct me if I'm wrong none of those other SCI-FI series were on, where as Star Wars might be.

In addition, and I am certain that I am corrent when I say that Star Wars is the first SCI-FI series where its producer/creater Lucas is the one choosing which network he wants to put his show on. Usually its the producer that has to convince a network that the series is worthy to be aired on that network. Right now its the major networks trying to convince Lucas why he should use their network to air the series.

Basically, my examples are trying to proove how much weight or power this series has and because of this, will change television...

8. evilniell

evilniell Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    And, when I said major television network I was thinking more on the lines of CBS, ABC or NBC which, and correct me if I'm wrong none of those other SCI-FI series were on, where as Star Wars might be.

Actually, all the examples that I gave were on ABC, CBS, or NBC, except for The X-Files and Firefly, which were on FOX. And FOX is a major network now anyway, so you can't count them out. All four of the major networks have gone through periods of wanting to find the next big sci-fi/fantasy hit. Star Wars is sure to start another round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.