main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Star Wars The Force Awakens say Story by:George Lucas?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Guybrush, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    I'm of the opinion that Episodes 7,8 and 9 need to say "Story by: George Lucas".

It is his story. I would feel like something is missing if Disney and company completely changed the direction of the story so the vision of Lucas is left out.
    For better or worse, chapters 7,8 and 9 need to be from Lucas to complete his idea, An idea he set out to do way back in the 70's.

All the spin offs can be from someone else.

Lucas was working on fleshing out this new story a full year before he sold to Disney according to his son Jett.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/colum...says-george-lucas-biographer-exclusive-63006/
    Also...
    While researching his book, Dale Pollock, author of the unauthorized Lucas biography, “Skywalking: The Life And Films Of George Lucas,” was allowed to read the outlines to the 12 stories written by the filmmaker but was required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
    “It was originally a 12-part saga,” Pollock told TheWrap. “The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, ‘I want to see these 3 movies.’”

What is your opinion, will you be upset if there is no story credit for George Lucas on this upcoming trilogy?
    I for one, will be extremely disappointed.

2. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Not sure.

Possibly if they used the majority of his original story treatment.

If not - then I don't think we will see him get credit.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  3. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    In the five months of negotiations that followed, Lucas argued that the best people to make the next Star Wars trilogy would be his longtime Lucasfilm executives. “I had a group of very, very talented people that had worked for the company for many, many years and really knew how to market Star Wars, how to do the licensing and make the movies,” Lucas explains. “I said, ‘I think it would be wise to keep some of this intact. We need a few people to oversee the property, you know, who are just dedicated to doing that, so we’re sure we get this right.’”
    [​IMG]
    Photograph by Jeff Minton for Bloomberg Businessweek
    From left, Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy, R2-D2, Disney Chairman and CEO Robert Iger, and Mickey Mouse

Iger understood Lucas’s concerns. “George said to me once that when he dies, it’s going to say ‘Star Wars creator George Lucas,’ ” he says. Still, Iger wanted to make sure that Lucas, who was used to controlling every aspect of Star Wars, from set design to lunchboxes, understood that Disney, not Lucasfilm, would have final say over any future movies. “We needed to have an understanding that if we acquire the company, despite tons of collegial conversations and collaboration, at the end of the day, we have to be the ones who sign off on whatever the plans are,” says Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios.

http://www.businessweek.com/article...ught-lucasfilm-and-its-plans-for-star-wars#p1

Dewback, Dak Oolron and Immortiss like this.
  4. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    he's gotten paid 4 billion republic credits already, how many credits more does he need?:p

5. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    There would be nothing more uplifting that seeing that the new movies are based on stories by George Lucas. I HOPE we hear that the new stories are based closely on George's overall vision of where he intended for the saga to go. It would then at least feel like it was all part of a master plan (whether it truly was or not).

6. DV75

Nov 30, 2001
    George will always be the creator. "The Maker".

No matter how many more movies or tv shows or books and what not are made. History will say that Star Wars was created by George Lucas.

And we fans will always be grateful to George.

7. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I would be surprised if we don't see a "Based on Story by George Lucas" (etc) towards the beginning of the end credits.

8. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    George Lucas could take home an oscar if the movie is nominated for Adopted Screenplay. Sequels can't be original screenplay as they are based on an original story. So how ironic if that is how he wins his Oscar.

whostheBossk and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    It would just feel like something is missing.
    I would love to see:
    Directed by: J.J. Abrams
    Screenplay: Abrams and Kasdan
    Story by: George Lucas

Immortiss, Andy Wylde and Dak Oolron like this.
  10. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    I think it's closer to probable that you'll see "based on characters created by George Lucas" at the least. Whether there's a "Story By" credit is more up to the WGA, isn't it?

I think it's possible you could have "story by Michael Arndt" since he was the one who apparently turned Lucas' pile of notes (which I don't think is enough to get story credit) into an actual treatment.

11. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    I doubt it. I bet the ST is based at least in part by his plans but I think that as bobbyroberts said we'll get a "based on characters created by" credit. I think realistically George isn't as involved as they might be playing him up to be. You never know though.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  12. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I think we'll either get "Story by George Lucas" or "Based on characters created by George Lucas." GL did create the three most recognizable characters in the film plus Chewie and the droids. Furthermore, after the ST, we'll probably see in every Star Wars film "based on Star Wars created by George Lucas." After all, everything from here on out will indeed be based on Star Wars created by GL. I believe every Star Trek says based on Star Trek created by Gene Roddenberry. Doesn't it?

13. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    hmmmm, I thought it would be 90% his story outlines except a few changes. :rolleyes:

Guybrush likes this.
  14. D.A. McCoy

Mar 6, 2014

I'm sure if outlines are a big part of the story's origin (I'd hope they are; I may have some problems with his actual dialogue writing but I still think Lucas is a genius when it comes to story development/coming up with fantastic plots) but I'm guessing this is how is happened:

Lucas Outlines get taken by Arndt, Arndt meets with Lucas, Arndt writes draft, MAYBE draft is looked at by Lucas, Abrams signs on, Abrams meets with Lucas, Arndt is replaced by Kasdan and Abrams, Kasdan and Abrams write script, MAYBE another Lucas meeting, etc.

So I think the basis of the plot is likely Lucas but the movie is probably a lot different at this point than it would have been if Lucas had written and directed the film. So I don't think they're going to give him "Story by" credit.

15. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001

Lucas did have complete control of the story creation process before he sold to Disney. Once he sold to Disney, Lucas obviously hasn't had any involvement or at least substantial involvement on the direction of the story.

He was writing a year before he sold to Disney and from what you hear sounded like he was about to kick start the franchise again without Disney. He had hired Michael Arndt to flesh out his ideas for 7,8,9. (something I thought he should have done with the prequel trilogy. I think Lucas learned from that lesson.)
    Kasdan said it wasn't Disney but George Lucas who hired him to get involved again in Star Wars.

From LA Times interview with Kasdan:
    Asked if it would be strange to work on “Star Wars” without George Lucas at the helm, Kasdan was quick to point out that it was Lucas who recruited him to the project last fall.

“George sort of brought me into this part of it, and he’s stepping back from the company,” he said. “He’s sort of given his blessing to everybody, and he’ll be there if you need him. I think everyone’s interested to see where this can go. It’s been some very different places over 30 years …. I think with J.J., we’ll get something entirely new.”

So it looks like Lucas was very very involved before he sold to Disney. George Lucas obviously had a very solid story he was crafting for 7,8,9.

Now I know things change and characters and actions get switched up and moved around. J.J. Abrams comes in and puts his take on the story (as a director should)...
    But did they completely throw away the Lucas ideas he was working on?

I guess time will tell. Hope it does say Story by: George Lucas

16. D.A. McCoy

Mar 6, 2014

Wookiepedia says that Lucas started development on the ST in order to make Lucasfilm more financially attractive to Disney, although I'm not sure where they got that info. Regardless of that, though, I do think that Lucas always wanted to do a ST after ROTJ, but I think the stress of making the PT combined with the reception of those films made his change his mind. So I think even if it was a financial decision I don't feel like it was a sell-out or anything.

I'd love to see a story credit to him, I just don't know if I think it'll happen or not.

17. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Depends on how much of what he wrote they will use. I don't know why but I have a feeling we wont see that kind of credit given to George.

18. jedilips

jedilips Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't know if he'll get a story credit - it depends on how much of his original ideas are being used. It may be something like "Based on Characters Created by George Lucas" instead.

DowClimber likes this.
  19. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001

If they are using the Lucas outline and it isn't changed to much...story will be given to Lucas. We shall see..

Feels like it's similar to how Empire Strikes Back was created with Arndt playing the role of Brackett. (Interesting Lucas have Brackett screenplay credit when nothing she wrote made it into the final film...Lucas could have and should have had a Screenplay credit for Empire)
    Although the credits list Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan as having written the script, the pair of them did not collaborate on the screenplay. George Lucas came up with an outline for the movie and assigned Brackett to write the screenplay. Brackett completed a first draft in February 1978 and then sadly passed away from cancer in March 1978. Unfortunately the draft she had written did not satisfy Lucas, who then wrote a draft himself (for which he is uncredited) before hiring Kasdan, who had just finished writing an unseen draft of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Although all the major story points that take place are of Lucas' conception, Kasdan streamlined the story, tightened up the dialogue and deepened the character relationships. (Kasdan later went on to write the sequel, Return of the Jedi, with Lucas in much the same fashion.) Brackett is credited because she turned in a screenplay, even though none of her work made it on-screen. Lucas has commented that although she was a very gifted writer, Brackett was the wrong choice for a Star Wars movie; and he stated, "I didn't like the first script, but I gave Leigh credit because I liked her a lot. She was sick at the time she wrote it and she really tried her best." (source: The Making of The Empire Strikes Back by J.W. Rinzler

Immortiss and Andy Wylde like this.
  20. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001

I agree, all we can do it wait and find out.

21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I think we will see a Story by credit. They usually seperated out the screenplay credits from the story ones for the SW films when more than one writer was involved.

What you might see is a Story by credit for Lucas and Arndt with a screenplay one for JJ and Kasdan.

Immortiss likes this.
  22. DV75

Nov 30, 2001
    That's interesting. Never heard of that.

Supposedly, Lucas had also already had an 'ok' from the big 3 to be in the new film as far back as 2011.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I think under WGA rules, a writer has to contribute a certain percentage of the final story/screenplay to receive credit in a film. Is there someone more in the know who could chime in on this? At the very least George will get a "Based On Characters Created By" in the closing credits.

24. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I think it will say this:

Screenplay by J.J. Abrams & Lawrence Kasdan

Story by George Lucas, J.J. Abrams & Lawrence Kasdan (based on George's initial outline and the influence from the screenwriters)

Based on 'Star Wars' created by George Lucas
    ----
    I'm doubting Arndt will be mentioned, unless they still used the essence of his script. If so, then this:

Screenplay by J.J. Abrams & Lawrence Kasdan and Michael Arndt

Story by George Lucas, J.J. Abrams & Lawrence Kasdan, and Michael Arndt

Did ya'll know there's a difference in listing credits between the ampersand "&" and the word "and"? "&" indicates the two writers collaborated. The "and" means that writer worked on the draft separately.

Mr.Wedge Antilles and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    Yeah I get that feeling to.
    It's as if the Disney marketing department has decided having the name George Lucas attached to the film could hurt it. So Disney is not using the name Lucas as part of a marketing strategy.
    I understand that, Lucas's name has taken a lot of heat. Not sure it's really fair.
    Spielberg has made some bad films and I've never seen him get completely destroyed. It's gotten so bad that in some of my circles people believe he had nothing to do with the original trilogy. One of my friends said he heard that George Lucas slept through American Graffiti and had no real input in it's success. Unbelievable!

If you are ever interested read:
    1. The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film (Star Wars - Legends)
    2. The Making of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

George Lucas at that time was on another level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.