main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Star Wars The Force Awakens say Story by:George Lucas?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Guybrush, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Discredited by whom, exactly?

There's obviously been no definitive statement on the plot from JJ and Co. What we know for a fact was that the Lucas/Arndt script was scrapped and JJ/Kasdan drafted their own. We also know that EU was fair game. In Legacy Ania works as a junk dealer on a desert planet. She's off the grid of Galactic social hierarchy. She befriends an Imperial Knight who happens to be a black male and wears storm trooper armor named Jao.

From the teaser we know for a fact that Daisy is on a desert planet. Boyega is a storm trooper of some sort or at least impersonates one. By Bay's theorem, JJ indeed used the Legacy comics as source material. I in no way think TFA will just be a verbatim copy of Legacy. But it's clearly the basis for the story arc.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't think that the ST will follow the Legacy vol. 2 comics but it is hard to deny the similarities seen atm.

3. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Lucas said that there were stipulations in the contact that Disney couldn't do certain things to the story. He even said they have to consult him about power levels and characters. I think Lucas is more involved than we are lead to believe he is.

4. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    The reason Bob Kane appears in most batman stuff, or Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster's names usually appear in superman stuff

Especially if Lucas had a part in creating the story for ep 7. He appears in the Rebels credits too

5. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    Sounds like you know more info then most.
    Show me were they scrapped the Lucas story. I would like to see the link, I haven't seen that. I've heard they tweaked it to put more Han Solo in the script. Give the original cast a better send off.
    I haven't heard they scrapped the Lucas story.

If they did get rid of the Lucas story...then what we are seeing won't be the true Star Wars 7,8,9. For better or worse it is Lucas's story and he has always been good at coming up with story concepts. Hard to believe Disney would just get rid of it.

Immortiss and Andy Wylde like this.
  6. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    http://makingstarwars.net/2014/08/star-wars-legacy-star-wars-episode-vii-rumors-similar/

7. Rhane-1138

Rhane-1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    The fact (?) that Disney acquired three outlines from George Lucas to make three new Episodes is what gives me the most hope for Episode VII.

He probably isn't going to get a "story by" credit due to the way WGA attribution actually works (especially since George isn't actually a member) but I sure do hope that the story of "The Force Awakening - The Dark Side and The Light" comes from George Lucas.

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    Are you being serious? That story does not discredit the spoilers at all. It just confirms what I have stated. TFA's story is a riff on the Legacy storyline involving Ania and Jao. I specifically said it's not a verbatim repeat of the comic.

9. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    Yes, I'm being serious. The story is not taken from Star Wars legacy, there isn't enogh substance to warrant credibility as the article shows.
    You are entitled to you opinion, one many disagree with. Nothing wrong with that.

Obviously you disagree with mine, that's cool.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    The article does not even attempt to discredit the spoilers. It merely points out the similarities between the comic book. Your point is absolutely incorrect. I do not think the story of the film is a verbatim copy. It is just a derivative of the legacy storyline. Could I be wrong? Of course. But at this point it's very doubtful that I am. However you are indeed wrong in saying that the article "discredits" the spoilers.

11. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001

I guess the writer failed to get his point across with you. I didn't write the article. Take it up with him. They guy who wrote it is saying they aren't that similar. His entire point was to basically say people are reaching to think pieces of the story have been clipped from the comic.
    You are entitled to your opinion and may believe what you wish.

And your point about Lucas having no involvement though.... that is were you will be wrong. 7,8,9 will say story by George Lucas. Do you honestly believe Lucas would give away his life's work without a guarantee that Disney would use his story for 7,8,9?
    He wants to see his stories come to life. J.J. and Kasdan might change certain points, expand scenes, add new scenes but the story arc will be that of George Lucas. J.J. was hired to bring Lucas's vision to the screen.
    Granted Lucas will have no say in how that takes place, all he brought to the game was his story. This is J.J.'s interpretation of that story.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm just glad there is going to be episodes 7,8,and 9

whostheBossk likes this.
  13. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    no clue..but you can take all the guesses you want

14. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    Notice how you have now switched from making conclusive statements to pure speculation? Before it was "fact" that the spoilers were discredited. Now you're speculating what the article author was thinking when writing it.

And then you speculate as to the terms of a $4B deal whose contract you've never seen based on your speculation of what Lucas wants.

This is the problem with so many internet debates. They devolve into a race to be "right" at all costs.

15. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I think we'll see something between the lines of: "Based on a story by: George Lucas"

Guybrush likes this.
  16. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    He will get a story credit I'm sure ... but it won't say Story By: George Lucas and no one else, Kasdan, Abrams, will get a story credit too. Perhaps even Arndt as well.

Getting a story credit isn't a huge deal, some movie's have like 4 or 5 people with story credits on them.

You could write a script and even if the studio changes 99% of your script, I believe they still have to credit you as a writer.

It will probably say

Story By:

Lawrence Kasdan
    JJ Abrams
    George Lucas
    Michael Arndt (maybe?)

Guybrush likes this.
  17. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001

Well lucky for us this isn't that situation. We are just trying to find out who wrote the story.
    From my side...

1. I'm not speculating the authors intentions of the article. He spells it out pretty clear.
    A. The title, (click title for link)
    A1. Excerpt from article: "So exactly how is it that a white woman, a black man, an IG series type droid and a Mon Cal being chased because of a lightsaber appear to be similar to a story where a white woman and a black man seek out Han Solo and then search for Luke Skywalker? I just don’t see it. I could keep writing this article for days. The point is, half the fan community who bought into this idea that states all the rumors are false because of comic books, never read the comic series! The other half doesn’t know all the rumors or they read them so lazily and quickly they bought it.
    Star Wars: Legacy and the Star Wars: Episode VII rumors are barely the same unless you put all your focus on gender and race.
    They (Villians) are not similar at all. They’re intentions are not similar and they are just both cyborgs. Like Vidian in A New Dawn, Darth Vader, General Grievous, and countless other characters.
    If you really truly believe this comic and these new rumors are linked, I have failed you, Anakin. I have failed you."

2.Now, I could be wrong but It sounds like you feel Lucas, Kasdan, Arndt, Abrams ripped off a comic book or heavily relied on a comic book. Some of the best story writing minds in Hollywood and it's your opinion they are using this comic? Again, your opinion, nothing wrong with having one. It's clear your opinion is different from that of the author of the article and mine. Which is cool. You are entitled to your opinion.

3. Now it is of my opinion Lucas will have a story credit. I base that on research. I do speculate on terms on the contract. I don't know the exact details of the deal. You are correct in those assertions...but doing enough research clearly shows that part of the deal was Disney was going to make the stories Lucas set out to create for 7,8,9. Sounds like if this didn't happen, he wasn't going to sell to Disney. Here is a brief outline of what happened from Business Week:

Business week: click for link
    How Disney Bought Lucasfilm—and Its Plans for 'Star Wars'

1. Lucas asks Kathleen Kennedy to lunch and asked her to be CEO of Lucasfilm.
    2. They started working on star wars 7,8,9
    3. Lucas and Kennedy hire Michael Arndt to work on script for The Force Awakens
    4. Lucas and Kennedy hire Lawrence Kasdan as a consultant.
    5. Lucas talks with original cast members about returning to franchise.
    6. Lucas begins talks with Disney in June 2012.
    7. "At first Lucas wouldn’t even turn over his sketches of the next three Star Wars films. When Disney executives asked to see them, he assured them they would be great and said they should just trust him. “Ultimately you have to say, ‘Look, I know what I’m doing. Buying my stories is part of what the deal is.’ I’ve worked at this for 40 years, and I’ve been pretty successful,” Lucas says. “I mean, I could have said, ‘Fine, well, I’ll just sell the company to somebody else.’ ”
    8. Once Lucas got assurances from Disney in writing about the broad outlines of the deal, he agreed to turn over the treatments—but insisted they could only be read by Iger, Horn, and Kevin Mayer, Disney’s executive vice president for corporate strategy. “We promised,” says Iger. “We had to sign an agreement.”

From Screenrant.com click for link:
    George Lucas Spent a Year Developing ‘Star Wars: Episode 7′ Before Lucasfilm Sale

From Time: click for link

Watch Mark Hamill Explain How He Was Cast In Star Wars VII. Back In 1983

Yes I'm speculating...but I'm speculating on facts. Looks like George Lucas will have a story credit. Now, he might share story credits with others, but it is starting to be clear the story we are going to see is from George Lucas and not as you said on this board earlier:

From Green_Destiny_Sword:
    "He didn't write it or direct it. He has no claim to the intellectual property rights (using the word "intellectual" very loosely). Why would his name be on the film?"

Still not sure where you are getting your facts and how you can back up your claim.

I'm just doing research, not trying to win a discussion. I'm very interested in your knowledge and how you found your facts.

Immortiss and Andy Wylde like this.
  18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I think it's going to be very simple. It will say Script by JJ,LK and MA in some order with story by GL.

Every single thing with any credibility I've read is that JJ and LK's scripts are still based on GL's story just as MA's script was based on GL's story. Lots of things from the structure of MA's script are also being used since they are based on the same story.

The story, themes, major characters will be all based on that initial story but remember if you read the very first The Star Wars script you can see elements that all became part of the final film without being the exact same. Characters get split, combined, revised in all sorts of ways. Kane Starkiller became part of Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin as well as Darth Vader and even in some ways Qui-Gon and now it seems Luke himself who was also part Anakin.

Andy Wylde and Guybrush like this.
  19. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001

Agree

20. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001

While you are at it Green Destiny Sword, why did Disney steal the title of "The Force Awakens" from this fan film from 2006. Just like with the comic books, there is no way this is a coincidence. I mean it's the exact title...it must have been ripped off.
    Maybe and quite possible this is the exact story since it's the same title. ;) Click to watch the awesome story unfold...
    "The Force Awakens" Trailer Fan Film Released 2006

Andy Wylde and Vohnkar like this.
  21. Luke the Oneironaut

Luke the Oneironaut Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    Yes

Story by Lucas and Arndt
    Screenplay by Abrams and Kasdan

probably...

Guybrush likes this.
  22. Red_Leader_313

Red_Leader_313 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    Currently, the IMDBpro page has the writing credits as: JJ Abrams (screenplay), Kasdan (screenplay), and Lucas (characters)

The WGA rules, and the legality of the credits, aren't necessarily based on any sort of justice. Even though it was reported that Abrams was having frequent conversations with Lucas, that sort of role doesn't necessitate a writing credit. Just like if I give someone feedback on a script they're writing - and even contribute ideas - I am not entitled to any credit.

If Arndt isn't listed on the IMDB page the safe bet is that he's been cut out and that the shooting draft completely eliminated his contributions. I'm unclear on the actual rules defining the boundaries of what he is credited for, but my understanding is that his writing has to be intact for him to receive credit, not his ideas.

So, for example, let's say his draft of the script had Oscar Isaac's character being captured on one planet, and Boyega captured on another, and then had them both brought to a common prison location, only to be rescued by Kira. Let's also assume that it was his idea to have these characters captured, meet in prison, and get rescued by Kira, and that Lucas's notes simply said something like, "these three characters become friends."

So Abrams comes along and realizes that it makes a lot more sense for Oscar Isaac and Boyega to both get captured on the same planet to streamline the events. He rewrites the sequence, abandoning all of Arndt's dialogue, behavior, and specific events, while keeping the general beats the same. Arndt has just lost credit, even though his general idea remains intact.

Since Lucas created (at least some of) the lead characters, he will at least get the character credit.

23. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Lucas will definitely be mentioned in the credits somewhere. Be wrong not to.

24. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    It will be interesting to see final credits. I guess we see on the next trailer attached to Avengers in June?

Off topic a little bit but it's interesting WGA rules didn't change the Empire Strikes Back screenplay.
    George Lucas should have received a screenplay credit with Kasdan and technically Leigh Brackett shouldn't have been given a credit. To be fair she died before she was able to create a second draft...this is what forced Lucas to write the screenplay and after Lucas had finished the draft Kasdan came on board to help polish it up after his work on Raiders of the Lost Ark. (Yes...there was a time Lucas was on top of his game. Empire Strikes Back story and screenplay is mostly Lucas. Hard to believe the same guy did Phantom)
    According to the Making of Empire Strikes back, Lucas elected not to receive a screenplay credit in respect for Brackett.

So I guess Disney could give Lucas a story credit out of respect...even if Lucas story has been drastically changed. WGA isn't going to question Disney, just like WGA didn't question Lucasfilm on Empire back in 1980. Unless rules have changed?

It will be interesting to see who gets credit on the story.

25. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    He'll probably get the same treatment Roddenberry does on subsequent Trek projects. He'll get a consultation credit as long as he's alive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.