main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Will the changes to the end of ROTJ be reversed?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Revious Nugo, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    And the supposed Empire remnants would simply allow such a celebration, right? Taking the Emperor statue down, lifting stormtroopers, etc...

My point is that the Empire was defeated, so that's a non-issue.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Indeed. Luke's identity as the Rebel who destroyed the weapon which destroyed Alderaan would gain him all sorts of infamy. "Vader's Quest" and the newspapers strips are out. Thus Luke's identity was probably leaked out pretty quickly.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I doubt they were celebrating just because Luke had a role in it.

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    If they believed one of their own had a hand in toppling the Empire, they'd be inclined to celebrate. After all, Tatooine was under Hutt control and the Empire and the Republic before it, couldn't give a damn about them.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Um what? Palpatine's death is just my interpretation of the scene. I don't get your train of thought. People would celebrate that. Then you said "And the supposed Empire remnants would simply allow such a celebration, right? Taking the Emperor statue down, lifting stormtroopers, etc..." Then I said what's to stop the Imperial Army/Navy killing everyone after the clip ends? Then you call it a non-issue even though I answered your question?
    Again my interpretation of the scene is they are celebrating Palpatine's death. I can see people celebrating Palpatine's death. If Palpatine was as psycho towards the people of Coruscant as we know he is, then yes there would be a celebration. And if there are people with Rebel sympathies there would be celebrations. We only see one moment in time. We don't know how it started or what happened after it. Word travels fast. I can see a celebration happening before the stormtroopers come and stop them. And nothing to stop an orbital bombardment.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You didn't. If the Empire wasn't defeated and still holds its presence, why would it allow celebrations (against the Empire) across the galaxy on imperial controlled planets, as seen at the end of RotJ?

My argument is that the Empire was truly defeated, and as such, people celebrated their freedom throughout the galaxy.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The point was - delayed reaction.

Sure, a celebration can start before the Army has time to react - but that doesn't mean the army no longer exists, and no longer wants to suppress rebellious behaviour.

8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Interesting choice of words. The Empire's defeat does bring about a new age of sorts - one devoid of Palpatine and perhaps also devoid of the Sith entirely (time will tell).
    This shift is illustrated, in a way, by this music which on the one hand sounds like nothing else in the saga and on the other hand sounds strangely familiar. At least to my ears.
    It's kind of a warped, bittersweet take on Luke and Leia's theme that gives the ending that feeling of unreal joy that you can only get by reaching a goal that you sometimes believed you'd never reach; a goal that you've been aiming for for as long as you can remember. It's the feeling of knowing that things will never again be the same. It's wonderful beyond words, but it's also a scary feeling, partly because you don't quite dare to believe it's really happening, partly because the road ahead is no longer as clear-cut as it used to be.
    I love that feeling and that's what Victory Celebration gives me [face_love]

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't think the Empire was defeated all at once unless the scenes were years later. Probably will have to agree to disagree until we get the ST.
    If it was at ROTJ point in time, then just celebrating Palpatine's death works for me. People did celebrate Bin Laden's death didn't they?
    The Empire being able to suppress parties all over the planet at once? Not likely. It depends on how the info was released. The Empire obviously wouldn't release it without having their own spin on it but if the Rebellion hi-jacked the airwaves all at once then the stormtroopers wouldn't be able to stop all of the parties at once. So the clips in the ROTJ SE's happen and then the stormtroopers come in after that and stopped the celebrations. The news of Palpatine's death might throw the Empire into disarray but I imagine someone on Coruscant would step up and take charge in the meantime. You really think the Army and Navy will lay down their arms just because Palpatine is dead? I suppose it could depend on how the public perceived Palpatine. If he was as bad publicly as as the Rebels think he is, then there would be rebel sympathizers on Coruscant starting parties. There will be Palpatine supporters as well of course. If Palpatine had a benevolent personality on the airwaves then we might be able to say they were celebrating the end of the Empire but if Palpatine was good, why would they?

MOC Yak Face and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    Darth_Nub sorry about putting "poll" in the thread title, I was considering making this thread a poll but then decided against it. I guess I forgot to delete the POLL part from the title when I changed my mind.

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't think equating the real life death of a terrorist leader to the fictional death of a galactic despot is a fair comparison

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    It seems like a reasonable comparison if we're comparing people's reactions to their deaths.

13. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    They're celebrating the Emperor's death. The Coruscant celebration was squashed quickly enough.

14. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    ...according to non-canon sources.

Andy Wylde and Alexrd like this.
  15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why would the Empire allow such celebration if it wasn't defeated?

Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  16. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Do you really think the Empire had that level of control over the actions of its citizens? There was a group of Rebel loyalists on Coruscant. When the Rebels at Endor broadcast the news of their victory, those loyalists began celebrating.

Let's face it. The Empire spanned the majority of the known galaxy. Tens of thousand of Star Destroyers, millions of smaller vessels, military garrisons on most of the important worlds. That's not just going to evaporate overnight.

Sarge, Force Smuggler and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What? You think the Empire had 1984 level control over the citizens? Yeah right.
    Those celebration scenes are just one moment in time. Coruscant is a big planet. You really think that scene is the be all end all conclusion scene of the SW movies? I don't think so. Stuff can't happen afterwards? ST aside of course which could send the Saga in an direction. It would take time to set up a response from the Empire to stop the celebrations. The Army and Navy aren't going to just surrender to the Rebels.

18. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Imperial forces remain in place, yes... for a while. With the Emperor dead, the regional Governors are free to rule as they see fit. Some of them might form alliances, but I assure you, the Galactic Empire won't stand unified for long. The Governors have agendas of their own and will surely go separate ways as the Rebel Alliance continues to grow.
    The Empire is dead and the decomposition is about to begin.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It had dictatorial control over the planets and its citizens. And if the control it had over a remote planet like Tatooine was as heavy as we've seen in ANH, then I can't imagine the capital.

Until the hints that the Empire was back in ST, yes, I did think it was the end of the Empire. That was the whole point of the enhanced celebration, to show that the galaxy was free once again. It's very anti-climatic to believe the Empire still exists and will attack as soon as the camera pans the other way.

20. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    So explain to me what happened to all of the Imperial fleet, then. Did they all defect to the Rebels immediately? Did they all flee?

Or did they do the logical thing and continue to fight out of pride, or in order to preserve their power?

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Unless the Empire could wipe out all free thought and action, the Empire would not be able to stop the parties from starting.

When does the celebrating take place? Same time as the Endor celebration? After that?
    If it is the same time as Endor, no way that they could celebrate the Empire's death. Too soon. The Imperial Fleet would have some something to say.
    Coruscant has how many billions of people? Trillions possibly? No way the Empire can stop that initially.

There is concept art of new Stormtroopers for Episode 7 so......................

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't know how the rest was defeated (maybe they fled with their leader defeated, maybe the people fought back inspired by the Alliance's latest victory), I just know that it was thanks to the extended footage.

The logical thing to do, IMO, is to understand the arcs of the characters and the point of the movie. Luke was able to save his father, Anakin was redeemed and destroyed the Sith, the Rebels were able to defeat the Empire, and the galaxy became a better place thanks to their efforts.

The way I see it, bringing back the Empire is to undermine the heroes' achievements as seen in RotJ.

23. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    That's from a storytelling perspective. I'm talking from an in-universe perspective.

Give a reasonable and logical in-universe reason why the Empire should suddenly be 100% defeated the exact moment that Palpatine died.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. andresfelix

andresfelix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2014
    THAT WOULD DESTROY THE OT

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

History is rife with such celebrations. Look at the victory when Iraq was invaded and Saddam's statue was pulled down. The conflict wasn't over, but it happened. The man himself would not be captured for another ten months. Berlin fell and Hitler was dead, there was celebrations, but the war wasn't over yet.