Will the clone wars cartoon totally invalidate the dark horse comics

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Quinlan007, Dec 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quinlan007 Jedi Knight

When the new Clone wars cartoon comes out will it invalidate what has happened in the comics. The comics are not totally out of sink with the Clone Wars cartoon. But this new series might make them out of sink. Besides do the new Clone Wars Cartoons have to be just about Anakin and Obi Wan? How about some jedi who are less chronicled. The Munnilist campaighn does not appear out of sink with OBi Wan and Anakins first battles in the comics with the battle of Kamino happening first, then the Naboo battle, and the Jabim campaighn after Munnilist. Most of the Clone Wars comics are not about Anakin and Obi Wan anyway. Vos and others take up a lot of those stories. The obsession series takes place 5 months before sith. The 5 months are fertile ground as well as the time between the Episode where anakin becomes a Jedi Knight and the Nelvan battle. The battle in clone wars volume six of the comics is only one battle where Anakin is a Knight. So the cartoon and comics can be reconciled and I hope the new Cartoon doesn't invalidate the comics or original cartoon. Some things may be ugly but they will fit I think.
  2. JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The creators of the new series have requested the Dark Horse comics aswell as the Clone Wars novels. That's a good sign that they want to keep in-continuity. Of course, Lucasfilm also told them "try to keep to the existing continuity if you can, but don't let them stop you from making a good story" or something towards that effect. So it looks like they are permitted to step over continuity, but they don't want to :D
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Guff- where did you hear that quote?

I can, however, confirm what Guff said regarding the folks in charge of the 3D cartoon requesting copies of the existing Clone Wars material. This was a far back as April, so they'll have had access to it from extremely early on in the creative process.
  4. JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'll try and dig it out. I believe it was around the same time as the other quote though; about requesting the CW materials. I know I'm not word-for-word correct about it, but that was the gist.

EDIT: Bingo! Straight from Randy Stradley himself in this thread at the Dark Horse boards.

"Henry says he's trying not to run roughshod over continuity, but also that his instructions were not to be bound by novel or comics continuity if it gets in the way of telling a good story."
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Thanks. That's optimistic, yet open.
  6. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 5
    That sounds good. Maintaining continuity with the Dark Horse comics and the original clone wars cartoons will add the show.
  7. TheWookiee Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Yes it will. I'm VERY relieved that Lucas is havinglittle to do with it. All he would do is trample right over continuity with his "continuity be damned" attitude.[face_sick]
  8. JimmySmith Jedi Padawan

I hope that not only does the new cartoon series stay in continuty of the dark horse comics and novels but it would be awsome if some of the comics could be adapted into cartoon episodes. Many of the dark horse comics have great stories and action that I would to see rendered in computer animation. That combined with a few original stories can make the series excellent.
  9. Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The comics with Aayla would especially make good page-to-screen translations - not because of any plot specialities or anything, but because she's also the one comic character that's also in the movies, and a lot of people know her (as the 'hot blue Jedi lady,' as my non-fan friend described her).

The comic 'Armor' would make for an excellent episode - not only does it have Aayla in it, but it'd also have the potential to draw the Knights of the Old Republic fans.
  10. JimmySmith Jedi Padawan

The book Shatterpoint would make a great television animated movie. Lots of action though a PG-13 rating would be required to get the books content right.

Eyes of Revolution would make a great episode. Grievous's origin is never explained in the movie or current cartoon so I believe this cartoon should do an episode for his origin.

Many would make great television episodes which is why I hope some adaptation take place.
  11. Quinlan007 Jedi Knight

Also the battle of Jabim would be a good animated episode. As well as the torment OBI Wan goes through as a prisoner of Asajj Ventress
  12. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Shatterpoint would if you cut out the shower fight :b
  13. JimmySmith Jedi Padawan

I think television episodes should all be mostly based on the comics and they should do animated movies on the novels.
  14. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    Nope, I want new stories with the animations. No re-hashes or re-tells. No content, and then Dark Horse goes ahead and does pluggers and filler comics to tie into the series. Nothing to fancy now.
  15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    It'd be nice for some cross-overs, ie: the Battle of Jabiim lasts of a couple months, so there's plenty of room to tell a new story while showing some familiar scenes here and there.
  16. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    I can live with that. That sounds like a reasonable plan. Would like to see some space action and Republic Commando's used in the new series though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.