main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will the Completion of the Saga Change the Way We Look at the EU

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by OldieVonMoldie, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldieVonMoldie

OldieVonMoldie Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2001
    Ok, first let me make a few points, just so you can see where I'm going with this.

1. I'm not intending to bash anyone or anything. There are people who love it, people who hate it, & people who, like me, really don't follow it. Except for the movie novelizations I know next to nothing about the EU & wouldn't want to insult the intelligence of any EU fan by pretending that I did.

2. Defining the Saga. If someone were to ask me to describe the Saga in it's simplest terms, I'd have to describe it as the story of the rise, fall, & redemtion of Anakin Skywalker.

That being said, disregarding any EU that takes place before TPM or after ROTJ, what I want to concentrate on is the time between the trilogies. Now, unless GL does something completely different & there is a MONUMENTAL jump foward in time at the end of Ep3, we're going to be looking at a period of about 20 years of untold SAGA.

My question is this. Will the EU that tells the story between the trilogies now be considered cannon? There will be no more movies to contradict them. Will those of you who currently dislike or do not follow the EU change your opinion? Or do you feel that, in the words of the almighty Yoda "Already learned that which we need to know" & consider the Saga complete after Ep3?

I guess I will have to start following the EU. I'm sure there will be many questions left to be answered after Ep3 & this will be the "official word".

2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm a fan of most EU and love reading it (Novels and comics) but I think if there is going to be any EU between Episode 3 and Episode 4 it will still be considered EU and not canon. Only the 6 films are canon.

3. Phantom-Iam

Phantom-Iam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2002
    I really don't care for the EU. So I doubt Ep3 will change the way I think.

4. The_Sith_Prophet

The_Sith_Prophet Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    I love EU, and will always consider it equal with the films, reardless of what Lucas says.

5. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I`m sure it will really change it,look at the different stromtropper theroys that emerged before AOTC

6. Darth_Shade

Darth_Shade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    It will definatly change it and I will consider the EU between 2 and 3 accurate

7. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I don't like EU but I think it'll get more accepted by die hard fans as we get further away from the theatrical films. More and more younger fans will be introduced to the entire film saga and the EU at the same time and the EU's character inconsistencies, contradictions and bizarre plot devices will seem less blasphemous.

Casual fans, however, will likely only be interested in the films.

8. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2003
    I want to start by saying i like the EU but i would like to see a whole reboot of the series. barring that have the authors do Special Editions of the books that change passages of the books to fit in with what we now know.hey if lucas can do it.....

9. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Nope. I'll still think the EU is a pale, poorly done imitation of the movies.

I like that the saga ends happily in ROTJ. I hate that the EU has done nothing but put the characters through endless misery, and degraded them in favor of various Mary Sues and Gary Stus.

I, like Lucas, consider the EU a parallel universe that exists outside the movies. It is in no way equal to or on the same level as the movies.

10. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    "Will the Completion of the Saga Change the Way We Look at the EU?"

Yeah, it'll look a whole lot more appealing, now that there wont be anymore movies to hope for! Many will turn to the EU, to curb their Star Wars fix. Dont give in!!

11. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    yeah. I feel i will get more into the EU after Episode 3 is out. At the moment I have Cloak of Deception[pre TPM], Rogue Planet, The approaching storm[both pre AOTC], Splinter of the mind's eye[pre ESB] and the Thrawn triology[post ROTJ] as well as the novelisations.
    I also feel that it will be more accepted. I am hoping for a very good EU series for a bridge between the saga's covering the eradication of the Jedi etc.

12. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    The Prequels have definatly have changed my point of view of the EU. Especially the contradictions that have came up. There are some EU stories I enjoy reading like Shadows of the Empire. Then there are others like Tales of the Bounty Hunters and the Dark Empire books that mess up what Lucas has in mind.

13. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    well It will change our way of looking at the EU for sure.
    Already to me alot of it has been contradicted and is a complete write off.

I am happy with the prequel EU thats there now. COD, RP, TAS, the Jedi Quest series and the Boba Fett series (yes I know they are kids books but hey its a nice read) are the real decent stuff.

I like Shelley prefer to think that everything ended at ROTJ. :)

And no matter what is written after EP3 in the slot between EP3 and ANH it still wont be considered canon.

14. Anakinisthechosenone

Anakinisthechosenone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2003
    The Eu is ok.. I can stomach some of it but some of them don't interest me at all. I enjoy the New Jedi Order, Jedi Quest, The approaching Storm, and Rogue Planet but that's about it. But who knows I might try out some more of it after ep. 3. but i doubt I will lol

15. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Well, I hate the EU utterly these days and completely agree with what SHELLEY said. I am a fan of happy endings, but the EU won't stop till all our beloved heroes have died horrid deaths after living out terrible lives of tragedy and stupidity. No thanks! Unfortunately, the EU will gain more acceptance again just as it did prior to the prequels when there was nothing to contradict it. When George is finished with the films, this will begin again. Fans will ultimately turn to this dribble to fill the void. If they want to, then fine, but I will stick to the films where the quality lies!

16. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    "Will the Completion of the Saga Change the Way We Look at the EU?"

I don't think so, as those who like the EU will probably continue to like it, and those who have no interest in EU won't touch the books (even the ones between the trilogies) with a ten foot long pole. I enjoy the EU when it's done well since it fills in gaps (Shadow of the Empire) and lets us get to know characters that may only show up briefly in the movie (Rogue Squadron). :)

medleyoz: I am hoping for a very good EU series for a bridge between the saga's covering the eradication of the Jedi etc.

I would also like to see that myself. :)

17. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I like that the saga ends happily in ROTJ. I hate that the EU has done nothing but put the characters through endless misery, and degraded them in favor of various Mary Sues and Gary Stus.

This is not a Disney fairy-tale story...this is a story of life & death...struggle of good vs. evil.

If a certain group is invincible...then were is the credibility in that?

18. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    I mean....honestly, after the OT, things dont go smoothly.....many people do die that seemed to be possibly "invincible" So when satimember said whats the fun in a invincible group hes right.....thats why the struggles portayed in the EU sometimes dont turn out for the best...

19. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    OldieVonMoldie, I just have to say I love your nick and the MAD Mag reference it makes!

20. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    "This is not a Disney fairy-tale story...this is a story of life & death...struggle of good vs. evil"

I beg to differ with you, this is make believe fantasy and does have a happy ending. WHy ruin it with grimy, never ending realism like the EU has done? It sucks all the fun and fantasy right out the door!

21. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Star Wars has always been a Space Opera/Drama. Never once was relayed as a Fairy Tale.

Hence, death, destruction, politics & not so happy an ending.

22. OldieVonMoldie

OldieVonMoldie Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2001
    "OldieVonMoldie, I just have to say I love your nick and the MAD Mag reference it makes!"

Thanks, Spike.

Would you believe you're the first person to ever mention it.

23. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I think that the EU will gain more acceptance after Ep. III.

1) It will be the only source of new SW stories.

2) Any minor inconsistancies will be corrected.

3) New fans will be exposed to both at the same time.

24. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    OldieVonMoldie, not many MAD Mag fans here, eh?

:D

25. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I am most sure it will. I mean as it is these Pre-squeals are really helping to bridge that gap of questions I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.