main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will the Completion of the Saga Change the Way We Look at the EU

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by OldieVonMoldie, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Krash - Well, you STOP putting words in my mouth without knowing everything. [face_plain] Anybody who knows me knows that I'm all in it for these kind of discussions and debates. I'm NOT going to a mod because I can't come up with counter arguments, because believe it or not I've argued for months on Mara without losing ground. I'm PMing DA because I felt that, judging from his actions in the past, he doesn't really like it when people start posting these kind of posts.

And btw, this forum is about the SW Saga - mainly for inter-trilogy discussion. It isn't about EU. [face_plain]

And if you would really like to know, I requested DA that he allow the discussion to continue. I deserve these kind of rude statements for trying to make sure that this thread is not locked. [face_plain]

EDIT: Changed "thread" to "forum"

Aunecah

2. JacensGirl

JacensGirl Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    ok I'm agreeing to disagree, the movies are great and you're right, its really up to the fan when it comes to what they like and what they don't. I just get a little carried away when I'm passionate about something and I really like the EU, so again, my apologies.
    May the Force be with you.
    ~JG

3. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Thank you for doing that, A_S. :)

The end of the EU has yet to happen, how do you know they won't end the EU also on a good note?

Even if it does, look at what the characters have suffered. Han and Leia have lost a child, as well as Chewie, who was a part of their family. The books even said stuff like, "The words spoken between (Han and Leia) could never be forgiven or forgotten." Great. So let's break them up, and even though we let them get back together we'll still have it look like they'll never forgive each other.

Jacen was horribly tortured. Jaina's now a self-pitying, whiny, arrogant brat. Luke has been ruined beyond repair. Even Mara isn't happy with all she's gotten in exchange for crashing her ship. To her it's...enough.

Also, in real life, aren't people going through continuous struggles? If SW ended like any other "...and they all lived happily ever after" kind of story, wouldn't it get awfully boring after a while?

Sure. But so does eternal suffering, with only brief respites here and there. Conflict makes a story interesting, but endless death, misery, torture, and loss is just as boring as "living happily ever after."

4. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    Shelley, I don't understand. You obviously read the EU. Yet you hate it. Why not just quit reading it?

5. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I'd argue right now but I find Shelley's icon too attractive [face_love]

6. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    It is a nice Leia icon, isn't it? :)

7. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I have no doubt that the series will end well, also I have no doubts about anyones loyalties here. Bottom line is that we all like the movies and some people will want to continue remembering the characters they love by reading about further adventures.If you are content in waiting three years for the next movie and forgetting SW till then thats fine with me.

8. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    SW Saga - mainly for inter-trilogy discussion. It isn't about EU
    Actually, in the rules of this board it says:
    As with the other Movie Forums, the use of EU is restricted. It can be presented as a possibility. One option out of many. So, we are allowed to discuss matters of EU as they effect the entire saga...and cannot be told EU doesn't exist/matter, only that it is an option for explaining a situation (whennot in conflict with the movies)

Aunecah_Skywalker, my intention was to not put words in your mouth...If I did so, I'm sorry. From recent posts, I had figured that you were requesting this topic be locked (because of EU canon differences). In all honesty, I've enjoyed your perspective, and gladly welcome some open discussion (on even terms)

In my PM to DA, I also had a few comments about Shelley's tendancy to provoke thread-killing arguments, but "cutting and pasting" everything those who differ from her opinion...and provoking others to flame out perfectly good threads. ((hands a pair of scissors, and glue to Shelley))

Apparently, you need these more then I do.

9. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I'd argue right now but I find Shelley's icon too attractive

Why thank you. :) I broke my self-imposed rule of only using prequel icons (to show my support of the prequels) because I was so thrilled that they finally put up a Carrie icon.

10. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Why are you attacking me personally, Krash? If you don't like my cut-and-paste style, well, I'm sorry, but it is not meant to provoke thread-killing arguments, it is meant to reply to what other people say directly. Nor am I provoking people to flame out perfectly good threads.

11. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Shelley, It was never my intention to personally attack you, but your excessive cut/pasting of other people's comments...has resulted in many a thread being locked for "canon wars"...I would request you stop this practice, and allow those of us who enjoy EU (as well as those who don't) to discuss it's contribution to the overall saga.

You don't like EU...we get it!

12. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    My intention is not to provoke thread-killing arguments. It's just the way I post. *shrug*

13. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    :( I'm gone for three minutes and everybody's getting delusions of grandeur. 8-}

Krash: Firstly, thank you. I was getting extremely miffed - but at least we cleared it up. :) I would never intentionally want any good debate thread to be locked!

When I said this forum isn't about EU, I was meaning that this forum isn't there to discuss EU specifically. You can use EU to back up your arguments but it shouldn't be what you're discussing. At least that's my take on the Saga. :)

Secondly, I'm kind of lost about how Shelley's copying and posting is detrimental. I mean, she's just copying the sentences that she is answering to, isn't it? How is it any different than what anyone else would :confused:

Aunecah

14. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    Just to put in my two cents:

I'll admit at times I have found the cut and paste style of posting to be rather annoying, but I also understand the reasoning behind it. In debates that can get rather lengthy posts such as this one (debate, not post), the cut and paste method allows for the debater(s) to make sure they address all the points they mean to, and for others to know exactly which points those are. So actually, I guess it sort of helps.

Also, that is a very attractive icon Shelley. ;)

Now, in an attempt to return to the thread's topic:

Unless, something completely drastic occurs in Ep. III and blows the established EU out of the water, I will continue to be a loyal fan of the EU. If something like that does happen to occur in Ep. III, I guess I'll have to adjust my view of the EU accordingly. I doubt it will affect my love of the EU, just how I perceive it's role in the greater good that is Star Wars.

:)

15. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I'm giving everyone a chance to get themselves sorted out and read this clealry stated and long-standing rule for this forum one more time:

"Additionally, there will be no debates about whether the EU is canon. These "Canon Wars" will not be tolerated in the slightest."

The next person who discusses what is and isn't canon will receive a two week ban. This is the only warning for the duration of this thread.

The topic at hand is a simple one and doesn't require any definition or hostility as to what does and does not constitute EU material. It never was. Just so all of you understand, the topic as posted in the authors post is this:

"...what I want to concentrate on is the time between the trilogies.....we're going to be looking at a period of about 20 years of untold SAGA.

Will those of you who currently dislike or do not follow the EU change your opinion? Or do you feel that, in the words of the almighty Yoda "Already learned that which we need to know" & consider the Saga complete after Ep3?"

Discuss this topic or do not post in here at all.
    From now on all off-topic posts will be removed and the authors banned for 2 days.

16. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I think EU will have the opportunity to go into such things as the formation of the Rebel Alliance, Palpatine's efforts to influence the cultures of the Republic (now Empire), and more of the background characters of the OT (and their origins). I know a number of people would like Michael Stackpole to write a series of X-Wing (or even TIE Fighter) books set in the early Rebellion days.

In keeping with GL's homage to the mythic tales of old, I think we won't see much of young Luke Skywalker, that way his appearance in ANH is still something of a surprise. While we may see baby Luke...his first appearance of Luke in ANH had an element of "look, Luke's all grown up now."

17. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Actually, I always thought that the completion of the Saga will give rise to EU that will fill in the gap between PT and OT. Because, quite frankly, I don't think there's all that much future to the post-RotJ fiction. There have been enough books already. If the authors continue to try to include every single character aforementioned in their books, we're going to be having some very serious question marks flying against the horizon pretty soon. ;)

On the other hand, there is always the possibility of pre-PT fiction - namely, maybe we'll get books that go into more detail with the Great Hyperspace Wars. I know, I for one want to read those books, if they ever get published. I'm especially incredibly fascinated by the character of Darth Bane. It would also be nice to see something about Palpatine's backstory - he's another character who entices me almost like Obi-Wan. Hopefully, GL will let those books to show their faces.

Aunecah

18. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I can definately see the EU shifting it's focus to the years between Ep3 and ANH after Ep3 is released. It's a time that has been left purposely untouched in EU (aside from the Han Solo trilogy and a few other extraneous bits and pieces).

I found it pleasing that there were links in AotC with EU material (ie: The Approaching Storm), where Mace Windu mentions that Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker have just returned from a trade dispute on Anison to Chancellor Palpatine, not so much a complete validation of the EU but an acknowledging nod nonetheless. With this as evidence, as well as the massive project of the Clone Wars cartoon and novel series, there's no reason in my mind that EU can't be used to support the final film and help bridge that whopping 20-odd year gap between Ep3 and ANH.

I'm hopeful that it will change the way many SW fans view the EU.

19. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    My main gripe with the EU isn't as much about it not being written by GL as it being just plainly bad written. I read the books because I want to read about the characters that I've come to know and love on the screen. It's just that, I've had enough of reading Luke just sitting there and doing nothing.

If a book comes along and changes all that - why, I'll love the EU - well, that book, anyway. ;)

Aunecah

20. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    With this as evidence, as well as the massive project of the Clone Wars cartoon and novel series, there's no reason in my mind that EU can't be used to support the final film and help bridge that whopping 20-odd year gap between Ep3 and ANH.

Yes, that makes sense. There will be a big gap between Episode III and ANH, in which Luke and Leia will be growing up on their very different worlds; Palpatine will be bringing the galaxy under his control, and along with Vader, purging the galaxy of any remaining Jedi; and if Padme doesn't meet her fate in Episode III, well, there'll be that too. The stories are potentially quite intriguing...but unless they're done well, with a minimum of annoying original characters, I don't think they'll do much to change my opinion of the EU.

However, there are and probably will continue to be EU books and stories that I like. I recently got "The Princess Leia Diaries" in SW Tales #11 (Han Solo issue), and thought it was adorable. I also liked Nomi Sunrider's story in the Tales of the Jedi series.

21. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    It's nice to agree with you on something Shelley. Very well said. I concur on all points.

22. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Actually, I would love to read a book about Beru Whitesun - especially if it goes into detail about how she raised Luke. Obviously, raising a Force-sensitive - even if he doesn't know that - isn't going to be very easy when you, yourself don't have the power.

Hmm, I wonder if Luke levitated boxes and droids when he was younger. One thing for sure, it definitely would drive Owen crazy. 8-}

Aunecah

23. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I would love to read a book about Beru Whitesun...I'd just like to see a book made, considering her character got hyped in the SE VHS box set...only to have her say 1 line in the movie! And Bonnie Piesse was so nice @ Celebration II...I hated to see her get cut out like that.

24. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I'm just saying there shouldn't be a war going on between EU fans and Non-EU fans.

And Shelley knows I'm gonna bug her until she reads the Wraith books. LOL

I don't think it will change how I look at the EU, or anything. I do like knowing all the little details behind-like you can spot one minor character in the movie, and say, "HEy, that's so and so!" To me, it's more fun.

25. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    I would love to see books between Ep. III and IV. There is a massive, 20 year period there for writers to use, nearly as much as the post-RotJ era, and it is just waiting for more stories to fill it up. Hopefully, these stories will attract more of the movie fans, as characters featured in the movies should hopefully predominate over charactcers introduced later in the time span of SW. We'll see whether the authors do good jobs (fingers crossed they do).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.