Will the console market crash?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Likewater, May 7, 2013.

1. Likewater Force Ghost

star 4
    I watch the Gamer Overthinker, Mostly because I like the cheesy story, and the subject of the latest episode was...well the title of this thread.

I punched it into my google search box and hot a lot of links to essay long posts. I dint even know it was a "Thing" I guess I am behind on my nerd game culture.

Has anyone else heard of this possibility? I was totally unaware of what happened before the NES. While I do own an X-box 360, i don't really care about consoles in general to me they are just something to play games on.

here is the link to the show i watched if you are interested.

http://blip.tv/gameoverthinker/episode-83-the-next-crash-6566433
  2. mes520 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Yep, I think it will happen within 5 years
  3. Obi-Wan21 Force Ghost

star 4
    It's inevitable at this point. When consumers start realizing that all that cash they burned for digital content and DLC isn't moving with them to the next generation we'll see the decay. Consumers are not idiots, the bell will ring eventually. All this pay for online gaming and the ridiculous restrictions. It will happen faster if consoles will require you to be "always connected" just to play a game. I moved to PC gaming over the last year and have enjoyed a far cheaper, and far more rewarding experience. Others will eventually follow.
    SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  4. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    Always Connected is going to be a failure of epic proportions if it's seen through to release.

The thing that's frustrating is that we get hit with motion gaming from MS and Sony then, especially in the case of Kinect, get little back for a large outlay. £100 or whatever for Kinect and what do you get for it, a Wii Sports equivalent, a petting zoo and a date with Cookie Monster (at £40 a pop!)...

I don't think the console market will die... it will lose momentum, most people have blu ray players now and the motion gaming fad has died off a bit... I think that played a large part in the success of this generation.

I still see parents giving in to kids who want the new kit but mature gamers will wait before parting with their cash (IMO).
  5. Draconarius Force Ghost

star 4
    Fortunately, both Sony and MS have shot it down. MS had an internal memo leaked that said it was not going to force always-online for anything other than multiplayer, and Sony stated as much outright a couple days ago.

However, that just rules out the consoles. Publishers are free to continue with the always-online madness.
    Jedi_Matt likes this.
  6. Ichor_Razor Force Ghost

star 3
    I remember CleverNoobs discussing this not too long ago only to be refuted majorly by Smudboy.

Last edited by SithLord_Darth_Vader, May 9, 2013
  7. Darth Xalfrea Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    If it will happen, it's just a matter of which of the companies will suffer the worst from it, and how gaming would recover. I can see certain companies getting the worst of it, but I highly doubt ALL of gaming will be affected.

But personally, I don't think it will happen. Let's consider the facts, and use the Great Gaming Crash of 83/84. I'm gonna copy-paste an argument why crash won't be as bad as it is today, and why it possibly might not even happen.

http://www.rangerboard.com/showpost.php?p=4361870&postcount=1528
    Last edited by Darth Xalfrea, May 10, 2013
  8. Likewater Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow microsoft X-box-1?

Ichor_Razor and Darth_Invidious like this.
  9. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    I'm not too concerned with it.