main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will the Emperor know about Liea?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Panesar, May 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panesar

Panesar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2004
    Will he? Perhaps he never told Vader in the classics.

2. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    You know, now that I think about it, it is possible that Palpatine knows about BOTH of the children. He knows that Anakin was turned to the Dark Side, and he may have the children in mind as his replacements. It certainly didn't take Vader long to convince him of the possibilty of turning Luke in TESB. Maybe that was Palpatine's plan all along.

I doubt it, but you never know.

3. Panesar

Panesar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2004
    Cetainly

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, he seems to know everything that is going on in general.

If Anakin knows about Leia, I would bet that he told Palps at some point - but in ROTJ, it seems Anakin never knew he had a daughter.

Doesn't Obi-Wan say something to Luke like "The Emperor knew, as I did, that if Anakin were to have any children, they would be a threat to him."

Thus they were hidden. No, my feeling is he doesn't know.

5. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    I don't think he knew, either.

If he had, it would have been a major plot hole.

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Palpatine knows about
    Luke, Leia,
    he knows where Ben is hiding out
    he knows about a great many things.

He can figure out the Ben thing because he probably knows the old Jedi is waiting for Luke in the sand dunes. And I think he knows where Luke was put because he would figure that, that they would put him with Owen and Beru. Palps probably also knowns the truth about Senator Leia Organa. They would be in the same Senate. I'm sure he had heard her speak before. He could probably feel the skywalker blood in her.

-Seldon

7. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    If you think about the way Palpatine plans and orchestrates everything, it is conceivable that he envisioned most of the events of the OT. He knew that Vader was damaged and not as powerful due to his injuries, and he may have allowed Luke, Yoda, and Obi-Wan to live, with the plan to have Luke grow up and be turned to the Dark Side as his father was. A healthy son could end up being more powerful Sith apprentice than a robotic father.

So, from that certain point of view, it is possible that the OT was all according to Palpatine's design, until the moment where Luke throws his lightsaber away in ROTJ.

And another thing - just because Palpatine knows about all of these Jedi (and the Skywalker children) still living does not mean that Vader knows. I would imagine the Emperor kept many secrets from his apprentice.

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Interesting point.

Sacrificing the DS I, many of his top commanders, et cetera just to off Vader and hopefully sign Luke?

As soon as the Emperor hears about Luke, he wants Vader to kill him - Vader is the one that introduces the plan of turning him instead - although you can argue, I suppose, that Palps let it happen that way.

The Emperor doesn't like threats - I don't think he would have let Obi-Wan and Yoda (and Luke and Leia) survive if he knew where they were.

9. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Actually, the Emperor LOVES threats and playing people off each other. I think he intentionally takes the most dangerous and promising Force users and manipulates situations in order to see who is the strongest. Then he seeks to take the winner as his apprentice. He obviously began grooming Anakin at a very young age to replace Dooku. In his mind, he will rule forever, and will need a steady stream of young apprentices to rule at his command. He is the ultimate chess master, twisting lives and fates in order to wield power. He is always willing to sacrifice his apprentice, be it Dooku or Vader, in hopes of finding a more powerful one.

As far as sacrificing the DS I, he could care less about the officers and crew. They mean nothing to him. And since we never see him in ANH, we don't know how he felt about the Death Star. Perhaps the order to let the Falcon escape the DS I with the Skywalkers on board came from the Emperor himself.

I am speaking about all of this hypothetically, since I don't believe this will be what happens in III. But it would be cruel irony if he allowed the Skywalkers to live only with the intent of some day turning them to the Dark Side as his servants. After all, he came within one quick saber blow from Luke of this happening.

10. Damien666

Damien666 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 6, 2004
    "Will the Emperor know about Liea?"

I'm guessing no.

11. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Rise_Of_Thrawn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    I personally do not think he will. In the films, it is implied that Palpatine doesn't know... both from Obi-Wan's line and Anakin's. It'd also be more proof that overconfidence is Palpatine's weakness, since he seemed pretty confident that he knew what was going on. ;)

12. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    It'd also be more proof that overconfidence is Palpatine's weakness, since he seemed pretty confident that he knew what was going on.

Who was the one who planned the Embargo/attack on Naboo: Darth Sidious

Who plans for ten years to create the Sith Wars: Darth Sidious

Who allowed the rebel fleet to know where the DSII was; Darth Sidious.

I think if he did know, and let them escape just to have the oppurtunity to have the Son replace the father would show how confident he is. It would also be similiar to Oedipus, where someone was destined to kill you, and you try to change destiny, but destiny takes its course.

And as far as sacraficing apprentices, Asajj

13. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    Who was the one who planned the Embargo/attack on Naboo: Darth Sidious

Who plans for ten years to create the Sith Wars: Darth Sidious

Who allowed the rebel fleet to know where the DSII was; Darth Sidious.

All of these things were done to secure is place of power in the Galaxy. He arranged an invasion to secure his position as Supreme Chancellor, he arranged a galaxy wide war to heighten his powers, and ultimately become Emperor. He allowed the rebel fleet to know where DSII was so he could destroy the Rebellion, eliminating the most remote threat to his dictatorship. He's a smart man, and he arranged these things so that he could be a ruler; not so that he could arrange to have more force users waiting around for him to turn. I'm sure he'd be more than capable of detecting a Force sensitive child and training it from infancy if Vader were to snuff it. Arranging to have his ultimate weapon, the weapon which would be the last thing needed to make him unstoppable, destroyed "just in case" would be stupid, not overconfidence, just plain stupid. Palpatine is not stupid.

My bet is that he knows about Luke, but remains clueless about Leia. If it weren't a secret from the Emperor, how would he know about her? What possible arrangment of situations in the movie could possibly lead to his knowing without Anikan knowing? I'm sure someone will try and come up with something convulted enough to show how it could be done, but it won't.

14. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    He's a smart man, and he arranged these things so that he could be a ruler; not so that he could arrange to have more force users waiting around for him to turn.

What makes Sidious a truely great character and villian is his patience, and ability to look into the long term, and prepare plan 'e', while plan 'c' was still being executed. He used Dooku, Maul, and Asajj to gain power. He used Vader to cement his power, and install fear into anyone who dare oppose him. He had the same plans for Luke, as he used for his father. Now think about it this way, would you rather have your old '97 computer, that is becoming out dated. Or would you rather have the 2004 model, high powered, faster, w/ state of the art features.

Also lets look at one of the fundamnetal differences between Anakin and Vader: control. When he watched star wars, w/ the prequels being nothing more than a pipe dream, a myth, we marked how in control he was. How cold he was. Now after we have seen aotc an uncountable amount of times, we witness how out of control and reckless Anakin is. I am sure Sidious knows this as too, and Vader is better for buisness than Anakin. So he needs to keep the two identies as seperate as possible. So he will make sure that Vader has no knowledge of his past. Yes Palps is intrigued by Skywalker, and of the possibilities of the son replacing the father, he does not want Vader to have any connections to his past.

Also don't you think that w/ Leia's fire brand speeches, on the Senate floor, Palps would remember a certain Senator from Naboo?

15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Also don't you think that w/ Leia's fire brand speeches, on the Senate floor, Palps would remember a certain Senator from Naboo?

Somehow I don't think Paply knows/cares about Leia. I think in some respects, by the time Empire rolls around Paply has become very much like how the intro to the novelisation of SW is.. how he became detached and complacent/ Leia Organa is just another puppet Senator.

16. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    i am gonna go with no no and no.

it's silly - he would have stopped at nothing to find them -- and i believe everyone will know of the marriage - otherwise why would "the emperor know as we did..."

there has to be a reason for them to think an otherwise celibate jedi might have had children - -aside from the obvious

vader doesn't figure it out until luke's "thoughts betray him"

and i do not believe yoda or obi-wan's thoughts will ever betray them - and that is if obi-wan even knows about leia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is plenty of speculation on that point alone!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.