main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will the Empire still exist in some form in the new trilogy? I wonder...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TheLateAdmiralPiett, Oct 31, 2012.

1. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    Disregarding the EU's take on the Empire, as this new trilogy will likely disregard most EU things, will the Empire be mentioned, or shown to be a marginalized version of its former self, allowed by the Alliance/new government to continue to exist?

I mean, I know Return Of The Jedi makes it clear in the celebration around the galaxy that the Empire has lost and the war is over, but I find it hard to believe that ALL vestiges of the Empire would vanish, even 20 or so years later.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  3. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    I like the idea of the Empire still being around but going off the montage at the end of Jedi, it looks like the Empire just immediately fell apart with the loss of the Emperor.

TheLateAdmiralPiett likes this.
  4. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I am growing very fond of the idea that the EU may be thrown out (even though that isn't confirmed at this point). I only liked very little of it to begin with, but I think the prospect of films taking place after the events of Return of the Jedi to be fascinating, especially with Lucas being creative consultant and possibly creating the entire story.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    If they go by the EU, we may see Han and Leia's daughter become the new Empress, and her son a light-side Jedi Emperor.

Which would be a lot like Lucas's original rough drafts for ANH.

6. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    The ENTIRE Empire wouldn't die the moment the Emperor died. That's just silly. Guess is the Imperial Remnant will be a big threat.

7. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    You mean Jaina and Jacen Solo becoming rulers of the entire galaxy? This already happened in my personol canon/fanon. If it will get into the new official canon, too, then I'll become a Jediist!

But Return of the Jedi just suggests this. I think some parts of the Post-Endor Expanded Universe are silly, like Palpatine coming back in a clone body and the Empire building one superweapon after another.

8. TheVortex3

TheVortex3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2012
    I think that there will still be some remnants of the empire but it all depends on how long after rotj episode 7 takes place.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It might be cool if the Empire and the Republic had to unite to face some new threat. Maybe the Empire didnt just build the DS's to destroy the rebellion but also as a defensive weapon.

10. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Heard of the Vong?

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, Jaina's son, and then Jaina's grandson "Roan Fel," and then Jaina's great-granddaughter "Marasiah Fel."

Jaina Solo Fel (Jedi Master) and her husband Jag Fel (future Emperor, appointed to rule the Empire by Luke Skywalker):
    [​IMG]

Roan Fel (the third Fel Emperor, Jaina's grandson, a fully-trained Imperial Jedi):
    [​IMG]
    Yuuzhan Vong?

12. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    God I hope we don't see the Vong...

13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    No but you have to have a threat bigger than the last one: the sith. The only type of enemy is one deadlier: either a borg-type Vong enemy or a more subversive agent of chaos.

edit:

what if the empire sued for peace after the debacle at Endor? They sue for peace, a treaty is signed, and the Empire starts training their own force users.
    Kinda reminds me of Babylon 5 universe Psy corps.

14. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Or the Imperial Knights from Legacy

Poor Greedo and Summer Dreamer like this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Man, you need to get caught up on the EU :p

16. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Or perhaps the Jedi themselves.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Unlikely. The special edition additions to ROTJ seem pretty definitive. Plus it would just be rehashing old material.

18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I like your icon idea better. :p

19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I just want to see some star destroyers, dammit. And I'm not talking about those wimpy prototypes from the Clone Wars.

20. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I hope we don't see him. Dude be dead! lol

And yeah, we need to see star destroyers. They cant have all been scrapped once the Empire went belly up!

21. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I hope they exist, but i don't want them to be a big threat at first. I'd like to see the Imperial Knights. If they bring in the IK i'm going to Geek out! I also hope Jag and Jania are in it!

22. Rodimus1980

Rodimus1980 Jedi Knight

Nov 1, 2009
    Even if there isn't any Empire in the movie, the fact that it will be part of the current Episodes demands that no matter how long Episode VII takes place after "Return of the Jedi", the audience must be told what has transpired between the movies and I see a explanation on what happened to the Empire after the destruction of the Death Star II being paramount.

JediChris99 likes this.
  23. JediChris99

JediChris99 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I may be in the minority on this, but I always saw the Republic/Empire as being the same entity. Especially after seeing the prequels. The Empire didn't "take over" the Republic. In reality, the Republic evolved into the Empire. The Alliance was called: The Alliance to Restore the Republic. I have no idea how the political transition happened after Jedi. It's not like the Emperor had a son to assume command or a Vice-Emperor. I would speculate (I'm assuming that Lucas is not using the Expanded Universe stories as the basis for what happened post-Jedi and that he has his own ideas for how the aftermath went down) that the Senate was re-established (it still existed at the time of A New Hope) and assumed political control of the galaxy. I would imagine at that time the military either accepted this new reality and fell under the command of the new political entity, or resisted causing conflict to continue for a period after the Battle of Endor. However, I doubt we'll see any of this on the screen. The new films (if they are to feature the original characters) will have to be set 30 years later. I doubt that Episode 7 will deal with any lingering issues left over from Jedi - the time frame is far too long for that to be viable. I struggle with a concept of "Luke and Leia struggle to rebuild the Republic and the Jedi - after all, it's going to be 30 years later. By this point the "struggle" would be over. Either they would have rebuilt or they didn't. The bottom line: I don't see a viable story that deals with some sort of remanent of The Empire 30 years later.

Poor Greedo, Vespasian and Moog like this.
  24. JediChris99

JediChris99 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    Great idea. They could handle that with a montage similar to the beginning of the Lord of the Rings when the back story of the Ring and Sauron and the last war were all explained.

25. Rodimus1980

Rodimus1980 Jedi Knight

Nov 1, 2009
    Exactly. Nothing says Star Wars can't have opening montages after the scroll. But there MUST be a scroll. No exceptions.

darklordoftech likes this.