main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Will the EU truly reboot?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, May 23, 2015.

1. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    The old EU spanned hundreds of material, books, comics, video games up the kazoo. Will the new EU ever get back up to its former glory?

2. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    Yeah,obviously..I think it have the potential to be much better with this unified vision approach,without authors going off the reservation and try one upping eachother constantly...also,the best of the old are already being grandfathered in.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think the potential is much greater the Mouse will simply try to rival the old EU for quantity of material. Quality is another matter entirely. Thus far the handling has been poor over all.

Havoc123 likes this.
  4. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I doubt it. Part of the reason the EU had such an explosive growth is that for a long time it was absolutely all there was. With Disney cranking out movies and TV shows like it is, I expect the new EU to be much more focused on following and leaning on them rather than doing its own thing (and afraid to go out too far on a limb lest they tread on territory that some future movie's going to cover).

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well you can kinda foresee in Episode 7 there is

The Battle of Jakku, that takes place after ROTJ but before Force Awakens

So I don't think there will be a movie covering that. So that would be something the NEU would be able to flesh out. And I'm assuming it would be a pretty big deal in the SW history.

6. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    I think Disney will use one of two strategies:

#1. Put a lot of effort into the movies and the content around them and otherwise spam out content. When your spammed content hits problems reboot it. Rinse and repeat for $$$.

#2. Play it conservative and aim for the long haul.

I think Disney will end up going with option #1 because I think if the new star wars stuff doesn't bomb Time Warner will attempt to compete with it by introducing a Star Wars clone. This will eat away at the non-movie profits dramatically if they do a good job because Star Wars base universe has flaws the reboot can't fix.

7. CMShake

CMShake Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2010
    Considering how many movies they were talking about making ,not to mention neu content, another reboot seem inevitableat some point in the future....god forbid the next generation's JJ Abrams need concern himself with a bunch of old movies and comics.

8. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    The big question is will the books and comics be produced at the same rate and for the same length of time as the old EU before either tapering off or being re-rebooted.

Given that from 1992-2014 we had an uninterupted run of on average 8-10 book per year, about 3 dozen comics, and numersous short stories, plus RPGs and the old 80s stuff in smaller numbers, that's a solid 25years of uninterrupted material at a high rate of output.

I don't see the current canon either producing at that level consistently (with the exception of more movies for the next 5-7 years), or running for that long without another reboot to some extent. So I doubt it will ever reach the same size.

jakobitis89 and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    They have already introduced the solution to this problem. Any problematic comic book or novel can quickly be declared legends canon and that's that. There's no reason to reboot the whole thing if you already have a fitting category for stories that don't fit the current line of thinking.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    My expectation would be:

High amount of activity across multiple mediums until Episode 9 is done.

After that, one of two things likely happens: Episodes 10-12 are announced and the same model is continued or they keep it going without movies, with just books and comics. That declines over time, cue reboot once more + possible remake of ANH.

11. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    For some reason I can't see a reboot of Episode 4 anymore ever. I think now would have been the time to say "we can do SW better this time around, so this is our new take", and they didn't go that route. They went the route of doing more stuff in the same vein, but also honouring the old movies in the process and setting up a new generation. The ST would really have to bomb to not make SW into an entity you can't rewrite.

For comparison, see Doctor Who and Star Trek* and, I don't know, Dallas. It might be a fad (that Twin Peaks and The X-Files are currently coasting on). If the franchise is large enough, there'll always be someone involved who'll want to tie it to the original - and SW just built another layer on its original. If you're a kid and you like Rebels and Trooper Finn, you might want a somewhat more cool Episode 4, but you wouldn't get a new one without Rebels and Trooper Finn being invalidated. The Special Editions are the only kind of "reboot" that might make sense - updating the visuals.

A cool thought experiment that would crash and burn on arrival would be a scene-for-scene (if not shot-for-shot) special edition Episode 4 remake using the prequel actors. Which could only rely on the familiar faces of a 60+ year-old McGregor and the Larses (and Christensen if they ever got to ROTJ), wouldn't it.

*"But they did reboot Trek", I hear you say. I'll go all Lindelof on you and reply, "But did they?" - because they didn't really. They did in so far as the expression gets more and more muddled with every remake that's being done. Rebooting as in conceptually going back to the start and building new stuff on it, that's what Trek did, and they kept all ties to the old series including Nimoy. Really making something new is more like what Batman or Spider-Man or probably James Bond (where it doesn't make sense that Judi Dench kept her role unless you suscribe to Bond being a codename - but then a Dench movie shows Bond family history) were going through, and that's because those movies generally wouldn't use a parallel universe "science" approach. Superhero movies could do that with pseudo-science, but they never go for franchise cohesiveness. Something like Galactica was completely remade with names and designs meant to keep the franchise connection, but there's no connective tissue between old and new versions, and that's what superheroes and Bond also did. And Trek didn't do this. Trek also didn't "remake Wrath of Khan" as many want to believe; they used elements from that old movie, using the sci-fi parallel universe setting. Yes, "old Trek" is still dead, but it's not invalidated. And with Trek having been a TV series that found its way into cinemas kind of by accident, it died out and tried to find new audiences. I'd be surprised if Star Wars would ever reach that point. And seeing how you can always try to build up a new SW-like universe with new parties battling each other, (I don't know, just let's name them the Resistance and the First Order or something), I can't see a licence holder throwing all the movies and TV shows away to try to get something new out of the franchise name. It's not the EU we're talking about here.

BigAl6ft6, Valin__Kenobi and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Do I expect the prose-based content to truly reboot on the same scale? Probably not, no. But do I expect the visual-based content to reboot on that scale instead? Quite likely, yes.

By which I mean, that I expect the books to stick closer to the audiovisual media that is released-- films, spin-offs, television series-- but I don't feel that means the televised media won't be just as expansive. Rebels, and any other TV series in particular, I see being just as expansive as TCW was, and TCW was far from minimalist in scale-- Mortis, Moraband, the Nightsister arcs, the Midi-chlorian homeworld, etc-- and so I fully expect us to still be getting more exotic stories like that.

I mean, they know that stories like KOTOR sold in record numbers, and despite TOR's failure, they also know that TOR's pre-release marketing with those CGI trailers was also very, very popular (and the reason why expectations were so sky high the game was doomed to never live up to the hype), but the popularity of that sort of Jedi vs Sith war setting is something I'm sure they'll make use of one day. Maybe not while the ST is being released-- they won't want to release anything that could compete with the main saga-- but after Episode 9? I'm sure they'll experiment, just like the Marvel films did after they did the obligatory stuff like Spiderman and the X-Men, which is why I'm sure in ten years time, they'll start looking beyond the core characters and branching out more.

Basically, the Lukes and Leias are the Wolverines and Spidermans of Star Wars. They're the classics that they know they need to do to build up a solid audience first. They're not going to give us the Star-Lords and Gamoras just yet, no, but I'm sure come 2025, provided Star Wars keeps popular and doesn't suffer another PT meltdown, they'll by that point decide it's time to branch out and do the more creative stuff. We just need to bide our time and wait for now.

The big question in my mind, really, is whether they'd ever do an origin story like KOTOR, or if they'll prefer to keep going forward-- and be able to keep the same actors involved, which is always good for marketing purposes rather than a whole cast of unknowns-- which could mean that a story like LEGACY might be more likely than KOTOR, for the same reason that Avengers has seemed to do a lot better than X-Men Origins.. of course, they could always foreshadow some ancient characters during the ST by having someone talk to an ancient Jedi or Sith in a holocron, so we'll just have to wait and see which direction they head after Episode 9..

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I was thinking of at least a decade away for any remake of ANH, but yeah, equally, might never happen.

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I think if the movies end up being as successful as they are hoping it will be a long long time before a reboot ever happens. If they continue to make movies they will simply just continue to fill in the time periods that the movies are taking place in and there will be no need for a reboot.

A reboot will likely only happen (and it will likely be inevitable at some point even if it comes after all of us are long gone) when they decide to reboot the movie franchise. And that will only happen after the movies have run their course and ten/twenty/thirty years later they try to get the movie franchise going again.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

And how many of the new books have you actually read??

Joe Kalicki likes this.
  16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

ANH reboot will happen someday. But not for a long time. A reboot of Star Wars will happen just like they try to bring back movies like Snow White with a different type of story. It may take fifty years or longer for that to happen but a reboot of the movies will definitely happen someday. It likely won't be anything any of us need to worry about though.

17. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    YesNo
    It was completely rebooted, but then they re-added some stuff from Legends. So I am not sure whether to call this a medium or hard reboot yet.

In terms of former glory, yes I think so, but I think they are really wanting to milk the time period of the movies first before, say, doing a KOTOR. And it will take a long time for this to happen.
    Will it be the same quality? Probably. It will have its hits and misses, like Legends, with a few works that people really gravitate towards and the rest becomes largely forgotten due to the huge amount produced.

18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    JJ: None yet and I'm not required to. :p

19. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

What did you mean about "the handling has been poor"? Could you say that in another way?

20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I mean I don't like the presentation of material or the tone of the people in charge so far. Thank you for seeking clarity. :)

21. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

And why is that?

22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Mostly because there seems to be very little depth or consequences shown in Rebels. Plus, the very shallow and forced attempts to make the Imperials as paper-thin as possible. Dull city with character shields galore.

I likewise don't like that it seems all the Mouse cares about are the new and casual fans. They should value everyone.

23. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Firstly, the second season of rebels is getting a lot more consequental (is that even a word), and secondly, what do you mean about mouse, I am getting rather confused.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Mouse is Disney. Glad you are hopeful, I'm not.

25. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Alright. Have you seen the second season trailer of rebels? What is considered a consequence to you, what characters do you mean could make a big consequence for you?