main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will "The Force Awakens" answer the mystery of Anakin's birth?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by themuzikman, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themuzikman

themuzikman Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2013
    Well, after Shmi's remark about how "there was no father" and Palpatine informing Anakin of Plagueis and how he could create life, do you think The Force Awakens or another movie in the ST will answer the question of where the Skywalkers came from? In a sense it would wrap up the loose ends nicely, and connect the PT to the ST, and really complete the Skywalker saga. Or do you think it will just be a mystery and up to fan speculation because they know that the mystery of Anakin's conception will be something that fans can debate and speculate for years to come (just as I am doing now)?

I mentioned in the Mark Hamill thread how if the dark-side Luke rumors are true, which I personally don't care for, that perhaps since Anakin was created by Plagueis (or at least that's what some people could conclude after Palpatine's speech in ROTS) that Luke would then be born into this evil by default, since he is Anakin's biological son. If that was the case, then we may actually see Plagueis, and Anakin's conception would be spelled out for the audience.

I'm becoming curious to see if they actually will go back and try to answer that specific question from the PT, which would actually wrap up the whole Skywalker saga nicely, IMO...

What are your thoughts?

2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It was a Christ like birth caused by the Force itself to counter what the Sith were doing. I think it's already been answered.

3. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    I actually prefer to look at it this way, as I just like it better and it simplifies things when you're just watching the films (no real Plagueis discussion other than the opera) but I think GL intended it to be Plagueis' doing when he wrote ROTS. So if Plagueis is in the movie we'll probably get that confirmed.

Echo Base likes this.
  4. themuzikman

Dec 20, 2013

Where has it been answered? I know it definitely wasn't in the films, since that is the only canon now aside from TCW and Rebels... (I'm not being sarcastic, i'm just curious lol)

5. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    In the films is where I got that exact impression.

6. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Shmi was a bit of a slut they will never be able to narrow it down...

7. themuzikman

Dec 20, 2013
    Hmm... When I see that opera speech in ROTS, especially by the way Palpatine is talking, I thought he was almost trying to hint at Anakin that Plagueis had created him... I just figured that went well with how Shmi said there was no father... I understand the Christ connection, but it almost seems pointless now that Palpatine would mention that Plagueis could create life...

Echo Base likes this.
  8. D.A. McCoy

Mar 6, 2014
    The Plagueis relation was taken from discussions about ROTS's early drafts, I think. Then that made its way into the EU. I'd probably take that as the answer that Lucas thinks as "real".

So since the EU is non-canon now, it could go both ways. Like I said, I like the idea that the Force can just do things on its own occasionally, but I also like the Plagueis idea too. From the sound of VII both interpretations could work. We'll just have to see!

9. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    My initial reaction to this was "oh, so Palgeis created Palpatine." I guess we all take something different away from it.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    For what it's worth, Wookipedia has Plagueis' death YEARS before Anakin's birth. Would be difficult to create Anakin if he's dead.

Darth Lurker, Dak Oolron and I know like this.
  11. D.A. McCoy

Mar 6, 2014
    That's strange, I thought the Plagueis book had Palpatine killing Plagueis the night he was elected Supreme Chancellor.

12. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Meh...disney should focus on crazy luke. Luke is a nutjob now. Great move Disney

13. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    No, that piece of bad writing will probably largely remain unanswered(thankfully).

TooMuchBBQ likes this.
  14. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'd like to see some further explanation re. The Chosen One/Son of the Suns... I think it's potentially the one element that can truly unite ALL the Star Wars films into a single, cohesive narrative.

15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I hear she's going on Maury next week for the fifth time.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  16. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    My takeaway from ROTS was that Plagueis taught Palpatine the secret, who then used it himself to create Anakin. I just happen to like the symmetry of that idea, and I do believe Lucas was initially considering being a bit more explicit about Palpatine being directly responsible for Anakin's creation, so I don't think that was an invalid interpretation. I'd personally love for this question to be explored further in the ST, although I do like the fact that as long as it isn't specifically addressed I'm free to believe my pet theory. I'm sure Lucas had his reasons for keeping it ambiguous, such as not wanting it to mirror TESB's "I am your father" seen too closely, but as is it feels to me like a mystery that still wants more of an answer, and it's really a bit odd the way the revelation about using the midi-chlorians to create life and the possible implications of that just get steamrolled.

17. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    It's a moot question at this point. Anakin and Palpatine are both dead. I hope the ST moves forward with the story and doesn't dwell in the PT's situations.

18. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I just want a saga where ultimately all of the episodes relate to and compliment each other as one complete story. There's plenty of room to continue moving forward while still dealing with some of the issues that are brought up in the earlier episodes of the saga as well.

StoneRiver, TX-20, Echo Base and 10 others like this.
  19. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The complete story would be the fall and eventual rise of the light side users.

The PT Jedi were flawed, the OT was controlled by the darkside, the ST will see the light side take back their rightful place without the flaws.

You don't need Plagueis to do that.

20. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Given that the ST will heavily feature (or so we're led to believe) Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Darth Vader etc. it's already a given that the ST will have a foot firmly in the past. I don't believe that building a cohesive narrative, that will span all 9 movies, automatically hinders SW 'moving forward'. The smart thing to do is to connect them all through plotting/narrative, rather than just re-using the existing iconography. That's not to say that this will be the case, or that it will be done succesfully... but I firmly believe that a clever writer/director can connect all the films/stories on a substantial/meaningful level rather than a surface level. We'll see...

Echo Base, Bob Octa, Vohnkar and 9 others like this.
  21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    if Plagueis is in this thing, then yeah, it will answer the question of Anakin's conception.

22. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    no offense @themuzikman but how does this deserve it's own thread, couldn't you have posed this question in The Force Awakens Official thread??

Dak Oolron likes this.
  23. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Plagueis "Luke, I am your grandfather" "Nooooooooo!!!!

24. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Careful what you joke about...

25. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

[​IMG]

MiWa, markdeez, TooMuchBBQ and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.