main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will "The Force Awakens" answer the mystery of Anakin's birth?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by themuzikman, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    George Lucas said in 2005 that the story was over. All subsequent George Lucas quotes on the nature of the entire saga are questionable as a result. What he believed at the time can be quite different than the truth now. Using them to back a certain point of view with regard to the current state of the saga story is now tenuous. Although, I do find them fascinating to read, even out of context, the point of the matter is the saga story is still unresolved, like a great deal of the concepts offered in the PT interestingly enough. Personally, I believe George Lucas knew the story wasn't resolved in 2005 and had always planned for a third trilogy, although vexed by time constraints and PT nerdrage. And since this is a story without a resolution, no matter how well you think you know the First (PT - SETUP) and Second (OT - Confrontation) Acts, I suggest withholding judgement until the Third Act (ST - RESOLUTION) is in the can. One never knows how the story will alter or change perceptions as a consequence of new information. Darth Vader throwing Palpatine into the reactor is no longer the Resolution of the story. The third act climax of RoTJ and the OT, yes, but not the saga story. That will occur in Episode IX. Anakin/Vader's actions are now the 2nd Plot Point in the story, which should pivot the narrative and move it into the Third Act, which is now the ST. It's quite possible new information may change that part of the plot, focusing and clarifying it for the sake of the over-arcing plot line.

2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    No, the Sequels aren't going to go near Anakin's conception or the Prophecy.

That aspect of Anakin's life has no relevance 30 years after his death - it is the effect that his actions as Vader has had on his family and the galaxy that are important and the effect of his refemption on Luke.

Vader is aspect of Anakin that is Abrams grew up with - he even said once how it is so strange that Anakin is the Star Wars hero to his kids, but to him he was evil.

That is what will have interested Abrams in writing TFA.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  3. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Anakin has no purpose except for that scene were he visits Leia to ask for forgiveness. Maybe not

4. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    DarthSyverus

I loved that chapter in The Truce at Bakura. :)

However, unless the spirits are "here to stay" by their nature, I suspect they have moved on to the next stage by now.

I think their appearance at the end of RotJ is going to be their last to Luke and the the post-Endor books will cover Leia and Anakin.

I think it would make Leia come across as too bitter to be having Anakin seek forgiveness after so long.

5. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014

The Force didn't "slaughter" anyone - Anakin, and Anakin alone, is responsible for his actions. He choose to deny the path that he was meant to follow and sided with the Sith.

The Force doesn't control people.

Millions slaughtered = Clone War & all who were murdered by the Emperor.

Your Christ-like Anakin idea is flawed..first of all Christ wasn't a murderer....

And if in your theory the Force can will itself to give birth to a human being, why couldn't it use people as "an instrument of the force," as stated by numerous people in the SW saga.

Second of all, I could care less...I'm an atheist and a scientist...so from here on out I'm not responding to this drivel...

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    1. Christ didn't have the exclusive for divine births. He just had the better press agent in organized religion.

2. "Numerous people" don't know what they're talking about. Anakin was the one individual who was seen doing something that would restore the balance to the Force. He was created to do that. It is a self fulfilling prophecy.

3. You don't have to be religious to enjoy mythology. Read "Beowulf", "King Arthur", "Hercules", etc.

7. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Anakin's birth, like his character, has been completely botched by Lucas. Best to leave that backstory in the dustbin. TFA should steer far from midichlorians and whiny, sociopath, abusive Jedi.

KevinM1 and lovelikewinter like this.
  8. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    So if Daisy's words about Driver never becoming as powerful as Vader are true, this whole Chosen One point might be adressed after all.

9. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I barely expect any mention of Anakin/ Darth Vader, besides the occasional remark from Luke about his father being a powerful Jedi.

Plus second poster nailed it, I believe it was supposed to be a Christ like birth. The force impregnated Shmi to provide the chosen one to the galaxy.

10. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    The Truce of Bakura thats the name of the novel Leia & Anakin thats must have been quite a moment a father & daughter reunited.

11. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    '' The force impregnated Shimi'' are you serious how come this type of reproduction never happened Lucas should have give meaning what Shimi meant by there was no father I carried him I cannot explain what happened blah blah blah, the chosen one a lot to expect.

12. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    It's supposed to be a parallel to Mary and Jesus.

13. Lordtyrannusaurus

Lordtyrannusaurus Jedi Padawan

Oct 16, 2013
    Shmi slept with Palpatine and the next morning he waved his hand and said "you WILL forget this."

14. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

[face_laugh]=D=

CairnsTony likes this.
  15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    DarthBreezy I've been saying that for years.

There was never a need for a Chosen One until Darth Sidious came along to unbalance the Force. Lucas gave meaning to what Shmi said. She gave birth to a child without having sex. Qui-gon realizes that there is something to it and after Darth Maul's attack, he realizes that the Sith are back and if they are back, then that means that Anakin is the Chosen One. The one who will bring balance to the Force. In ROTJ, Anakin does that very thing.

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.
  16. Ian passman

Ian passman Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm really over Anakin and hope that the new series chooses not to dwell on old plot lines.

Green_Destiny_Sword likes this.
  17. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Christ-like doesn't mean he is intended to be completely like Christ.

The "Christ-like" wasn't MY idea - I was asking you a question about your response to another poster.

There is no need for such aggression.

And, as to "drivel" - seriously? A little bit of respect for the thousand of your fellow posters and their various religions, cultures, etc. if you start that kind of mockery, you showed be prepared to have some thrown at yourself.

Star Wars is full of religious and spiritual influences, eg. the Force. Why get upset at idea of an "immaculate conception"? In that case, how do you feel about the Jedi Council being 12 masters or Palpatine's Lucifer origin?

Also, the Force didn't impregnate Shmi (we've been allowing that mistake to run in this topic), it was the midichlorians.

Shmi did not have sex when she concieved Anakin. She is not telling lies or somehow mistaken.

There is no logic in using the Sequels to go back and retcon an event from 60 years previously that has no bearing on the story of TFA.
    That is not how storytelling works.

It is awesome, the whole book is. ;)

18. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    In the Legacy series, which is the source material for TFA there are many force sensitive villains and Sith. It seems from the VoiceOver TFA is going that route.

Which means Anakin is really irrelevant. Whatever "balance" he achieved (an awful concept that was never even coherently explained) is gone. The prophecy is expired. The Sith and Jedi are back in varying numbers. All the nonsensical plot devices surrounding Anakin will most likely be ignored. They don't add anything at this point.

19. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    The prophecy is a tricky thing to take into the next sequel trilogy (if at all) in order to keep it's importance still being felt, even when it's already completed. If it's just one big reset button done by the force itself, rather than the machinations of a Sith that backfired on them, it may lead people to say at some point that what the grand scheme of the previous 6 movies really is... Just that one side will never have dominance over the other and the circle will repeat itself over and over. It means Anakin would be comparable to the One from the Matrix movies, in a way. It's up to the crowd if they can live with this familiar theme of a cycle.

They do have a good opportunity to explain how the force really works for once. With the title in mind, i think they will throughout the trilogy. The events before TFA did shape the galaxy, the Solo & Skywalker lines continue, i still think Anakin's legacy will be there, however minor it may be explored in the ST.

That brings me to the villain, well, he'll have a real challenge ahead to even come close to an movie icon like Vader. Who also had 6 movies to explain his story carefully in comparison to the confirmed 3 we have right now. Though i wouldn't be surprised of SW 10, 11 and 12, and that the new villain survives in some way to rebuild the Sith just as Luke might pass the torch to those who want to see the Jedi rebuild.

And then they'll fight eachother in another war... It may just be that simple that nobody among them stops to think and realize that they are using the force, but that the force won't ever allow them to win permanently either, Anakin's birth (as one example) as a result. Either because of fate, or because they're being played like puppets by a living, sentient force... How wacky that idea might seem to some.

While it is suggested (and by logic, it is only natural) that Plagueis, because of his signature powers, is responsible for Anakin being created, i never saw it truly confirmed. And if he did, that means he never was in control of it (unknowingly) and the force was using him as a tool. What Sith would create another powerful being that might turn on them eventually? And where did the text of the prophecy originally come from if Anakin's birth was only known to Plagueis? ... Was it Plagueis' intention to bring balance to the force? I can hardly imagine that. And how it ended up as general Jedi knowledge...?

20. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    New Canon has a lot about the possibolity of the Force striking back to regulate stuff.

Luceno's Tarkin has thoughts on that topic from Sideous and Plageuis.

Rebels makes reference to Children of the Force, some of which were born at the time the Sith gained control of the Empire.

Plagueis tried to create life, and the Force made a baby in counterpoint reaction.

We're not done hearing about these concepts.

21. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

How is the prophecy expired or nonsensical? It said Anakin would destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force. It never said the Force would stay balanced or that the Sith couldn't rise again, if it comes to that.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

There is no expiration date. It means that the Force is back to normal and now everyone can feel it like they used to before Palpatine screwed things up. Any new Sith will not disrupt the balance.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  23. MichelleSolo

MichelleSolo Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2014
    I think JJ and co are too scared to reference the prequels or Hayden. Maybe later once they've gained the confidence of the prequel bashers.

24. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    I don't think JJ is scared he is just worried fans will not be interested in knowing.

25. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    "Misread, the prophecy could have been" could explain a lot. Maybe what the prophecy really meant was Anakin, the Chosen One, was meant to destroy both the Jedi and the Sith so that this Awakening could happen, and this Awakening is the result of the Force being brought into balance? Personally I like this idea.

Darth Raiden and MiWa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.