main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will the Force Awakens unite Star Wars fans?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Agree. Plus, the EU wouldn't have filled the blanks as much as they did. The new stories were much darker and bleak and many now-grown-up fans got used to that style, while GL kept his own stories more lighthearted.

And probably wouldn't have been the special editions, so no OOT camp.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  2. Princess Nerf Herder

Princess Nerf Herder Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2014
    Unite us all? Maybe on May 4th. The Fourth Awakens?

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I like it

Also welcome.

4. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    May 4th, May 4th whats happening on May 4th another trailer, don't you mean 18/12/15.

5. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    It will unite fans in the theatres, alright. :)

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    In a perfect world it would. But I can see TFA even further dividing the SW fanbase in all honesty *sigh*

7. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I just hope this new film becomes the SW film I love the most. I love them all, but my interest in them has fell off over the years. I want this to be the SW that brings me back into everything again. I hate that there is a fan divide, but sometimes does do for a good discussion. I do hope that this unites the fans, but I won't hold out for it.

8. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    If they continued the EU as it was, like say one book published under the Legends banner once every five years or so which runs in parallel to Disney's canon then EU fans will unite with the rest. That isn't really a big ask.

9. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    No. But then again, who cares?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Jaytor Gold

Jaytor Gold Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2014
    Wait....there's actually fans who prefer the PT to the OT?! LMFAO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scummy_and_Villainous likes this.
  11. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Weird isn't it? This is going to sound crazy, but there are also folks who think that Pepsi is better than Coke. Some prefer red over blue and water in lieu of soda! LOL OPINIONS!!! Amirite!?!?!?!

[face_plain]

12. catlover43

catlover43 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2014
    Nope..you should see the haters on the Star Wars FB page saying that the muppets and the Disney characters are going to be in it too.

13. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Will TFA unite star wars fans tricky one I doubt it the younger generation will struggle to learn what happened in the past ten years the adult generation won't care much because the first six movies were seen by them.

14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    uniting us will not be easy. JJ will have to be all time great, and they will have to throw bones to pt and ot camps. Also the iconic characters of old will have to be in character. If they accomlish all that, we might yet unite

15. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    i dont know about this film, but maybe all 3 will be the uniting factor. maybe disney will play it too safe and it will be too bland for some or formulaic, i don't know but it would be awesome if they balanced it all out just right and it was a all around hit.
    a note about disney and what they did for the Oz movie: at first i liked it, and still do, awesome china doll character and many other good things. but upon repeated viewings ( i was a super fan of the original mgm movie) again i realize that they had to put in the obligatory cgi army (monkeys vs. scarecrows) and a whole megaload of zappy battles with the witches using glowing orbs of power shooting out of they arms that started to feel like following the insert wizardry formula. so i'm hoping that there is a really good balance for once in a new movie and everyone can be satisfied without playing it too 'safe'

16. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    and as a side note for the last post, i think if JJ has a good chance of uniting fans its the 2nd movie with Rian directing that has an even better chance of bringing it all together or balancing out TFA with a great follow up.

17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I always find that one perplexing. What exactly do you mean by wooden?

If Qui-Gon is wooden they so is Ben, if Obi-Wan is wooden then so Han must be, if Padme is wooden they so must Leia be, If Anakin is wooden then Luke is a block of stone.

Exactly. I think the most likely thing is that the vast majority of Star Wars fans who love the PT will have no problem with the ST besides the usual quibbles and the same for those that love the OT and love or simply like the PT but those who despise the PT and love the OT are the ones who sooner or later are going to throw their hands up and say I am done with this.

That is to say they will be "done" in the sense that they will be watching the movies and doing what they like best and complain about how awful every film has been since TESB and why can no one recapture the magic and the "perfection" that is the story with no beginning, no ending and is held in a state of perfect hibernation like their fandom which can't seem to grow and change.

Now these are of course the extreme of the extreme but they do exist.

Darth Schlotkin and CoolyFett like this.
  18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Preemptive warning: This is not a thread for "OT vs. PT" discussions. Funnily enough, no thread is for such discussions. Let's keep it that way.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I look forward to the day when we'll get to say "this is not a thread for OT vs. PT vs. ST vs. Spin-offs discussions". [face_plain]

20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    ...vs. animated series vs. live action series vs. holographic full immersion experience...

:p

Pro Scoundrel and EHT like this.
  21. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    This is ridiculous. Neeson and McGregor handled themselves admirably, but Lloyd, Christensen and Portman were all largely unconvincing in their parts. Nobody had great material to work with, but those three IMHO lacked the maturity to sell the material--even Portman, who lacked any kind of charisma.

Portman is now saying that nobody would hire her after the PT because they thought she was a terrible actress. What does that tell you?

Ford launched his career from SW. Who launched their career from the PT?

Edit: Sorry, just saw the warning.

22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Last point on this here then

Not in the movies I see. Material was great. They were excellent.

That they are terrible judges of acting ability and characters of course.

Ford launched his career from Indiana Jones actually. How about those awesome movie careers of MH and CF?

Darth Schlotkin likes this.
  23. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    To answer the OP's question, I doubt any one thing will unite SW fans across the board. We tend to be a fickle bunch.

CoolyFett and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just let us like whatever we want in peace.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  25. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    Probably not, because there are so many different varying tastes that one movie can't possibly account for all of them. At the end of the day what really matters is what the big players say. When influential members start declaring the ST as worse than the PT is when the hate will come, because at the end of the day it's the opinions of the leaders that really affects what the rest do, because they are the ones who can convincingly sell an argument for/against the ST.

So basically make a good movie, and the rest should follow. I expect that there's going to be a large amount of people who are really going to be mad though that Disney had the audacity to add an important female character and an important black character to the Star Wars Saga, because that's never happened before already, leading to cries of "PC police ruining everything". I expect that some of the complaints from the Abrams Star Trek films might carry over, though that all depends on how good the movie itself is.

CoolyFett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.