main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will the Force Awakens unite Star Wars fans?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. double o

double o Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2014
    JJ will unify Star Wars fans just like he unified Star Trek fans.

2. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    JJ alienated the trekkies, because he applied the Star Wars formula to Star Trek, which is not really compatible from a Star Trek purist point of view, but like the Star Wars Saga more accessible for a wider audience.
    Him applying the Star Wars formula to a Star Wars film can only lead to sucess.

Back to the topic, I think TFA has the potential to both appealing to the OT and the PT crowd (while alienating that tiny faction that are the Hardcore EU fans). It won't make the OT fans love the PT and vice versa but it might be a film that both will enjoy.

3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I can't give a 100% answer with confidence. IMO, the best he can hope for is being better than the PT, and kinda saving Lucas's shame for where he fell so terribly in the PT. It could make us all agree again that SW isn't completely a lost cause, and that CGI can look good. I agree with the above poster, it probably won't suddenly change alot of minds with how they view the PT or OT, because it will be a completely different trilogy, but, maybe if it is done right, fans of either trilogy will enjoy it.

Jcuk and TtheForceHurts like this.
  4. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
  5. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Hopefully he can blend practical with CGI, I thought Super 8 was a great example of this, and a great movie as well!
    Maybe if they bring chewies son lumpy into the mix, and an evil wookiee Sith Lord as well it will be great!

6. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Wow. I have been saying this for years. If not for Marcia, Marcia, Marcia, Jan would have turned out fine....

Whoops wrong show

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  7. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Only one thing is going to unite SW fans. The fans themselves.

We can start by letting go of dogmas and ideologies. OT purists should stop thinking the world revolves around them while PT defenders should stop attacking anything that's not the PT. If we can all just accept it's one story, with strong and weak points here and there, then we can move forward.

As for Legends only fans, there may be no solution. ;)

8. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    material was horrible, especially the romantic scenes, but the acting did not help

9. VonDizzler

VonDizzler Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 28, 2014
    I hope it does :)

mes520 likes this.
  10. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I think there will be more tragedy than romance in this one.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What happened to laughter?

TKT and JediMatteus like this.
  12. Chuckskyline

Chuckskyline Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    I emphatically say no.

There has been (if you do research listen to interviews and the such) a broken fan base since 1980. There are fans that only like the 77 version of The Star Wars. There are fans that don't like Yoda in ESB. There are fans that still rant about the Ewoks. There are fans that hate the Special Editions/Blu-Rays. There are fans that HATE the prequels.

There are fans that hate Star Wars because the latest EU Legends thing and refuse to Watch Ep7. There are fans that hate the trailer. There are fans that hate the Black stormtrooper, There are fans that hate the new saber.

While, opinions are just that opinions.. go around and read about these things and the pure hatred these 'fans' have against these things...

13. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    There are moments of laughter then not.

14. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i myself do not hate the prequals and i do own ROTS. However i do see the prequals as heavily flawed.

15. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    There was always going to be mixed reactions when going back in time to where it all began. TPM was best of the first three.

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    So sue me, I happen to *like* AotC and think Hayden is WAY underrated in particular. Yes, even the 'dreaded' fireplace scene which was actually a bit longer, and quite bittersweet as written as apposed to how it was edited. I find TPM enjoyable in its own right, and think while RotS has its moments, I thought it was obviously rushed and is my LEAST favorite of the films (Children slaughter scene and the actual 'turn' was headshake worthy, and disappointing.)

17. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    I'd like to think so. I also reckon these films will convert a good proportion of non-Star Wars fans into Star Wars fans. I know many people who are already aboard the hype train even though they don't particularly like Star Wars and that, imo, is a good thing for the future of the franchise.

18. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    I refuse to unite with those who cheered as my precious EU was destroyed. I REFUSE.

Alpha-Red and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    To me TPM is really bad, but aotc is maybe the worst sci fi film ever

20. Pogue

Pogue Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    The only way it will unite absolutely everyone is if North Korea hacks Disney and they cancel the release. In which case, I am going full Rambo.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  21. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    *nods approvingly*...etc

22. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Disagree... I think ROTS was the best film of the entire saga, so obviously the best of the first 3 as well. ;)

ROTS
    TESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TPM
    AOTC

23. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I can never settle - everytime I watch one I think it is the best one until I watch the next. :p

However, the best scene in the Saga never changes - Hamill, while hiding in the throne room from Vader, that moment when he closes his eyes realizing that he has let Leia's secret out and that now, to protect her he has to kill their father. Just superb. Did it all with an expression - no need for words.;)

Darth Raiden likes this.
  24. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    My favorite scene...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My second favorite scene was the pause in the TPM lightsaber battle on Naboo... when Maul, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were separated by the energy fields.

Just by how each of them handled that pause, you could tell who each of them were...

Maul... pacing like a predator ready to strike.
    Qui-Gon... meditating like the wise-master he was.
    Obi-Wan... dancing impatiently like the Padawan he is, can't wait to get back at it.

[​IMG]

25. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    EviL_eLF

It's my favourite scene too.

Wait. Dammit.

See what I mean? Changeable as the wind, so I am.:p

EDIT: There I go again - changed me mind. :p

Qui-Gon's psych out of Maul is awesome :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.