main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will the general public believe Luke when he says what went down on the Death Star II?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by George Roper, Mar 15, 2013.

?

Is Luke initially respected in ST or is he ridiculed?

1. Respected

26 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. Ridiculed

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Did anybody see him burn the body of Vader?

2. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    I did. :p

3. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well I guess I did too.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If you have seen the video, JarJar was there to witness the entire thing.

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Ahhhh so Jar Jar will be the villain of the ST.

6. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    I've always wondered how much Luke would really say to anyone outside of his close circle. The Rebel leaders would be desperate to confirm whether or not the Emperor died on the Death Star. Luke would need to tell them something, but I don't see him being all that anxious to air his family issues in public. I also don't think he would care at all about getting taking credit for anything.

"Yeah. The Emperor and Vader are dead. Thanks to me. You're welcome, Galaxy."

Can't picture it.

I don't think he would have outright lied to the rebel leadership, but he probably glossed the details. My guess is that he would have simply reported that he witnessed Vader betray the Emperor "for some reason," that he saw them destroy each other, and then left it at that. In terms of his galactic reputation, Luke would still be famous for his role in the Battle of Yavin, but I bet the public glory for the victory at Endor would go to Han, Lando, and Ackbar. Their roles and actions would have been much more likely to be publicized than Luke's.

7. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I don't see why the rebel alliance would have a problem knowing who Luke and Leia's father was? I mean, the Empire was defeated, Vader and the Emperor are dead. Luke and the others are heroes. And we're supposed to believe a few years down the line people are gonna be making snide comments about them behind their backs when they find out the truth?

8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    "Will the general public believe Luke when he says what went down on the Death Star II?"

Ep7 is set 30 or so years after these events so it'll be old news

9. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    I think totally respected! A decorated Hero of the Rebellion and responsible for salvaging the Jedi and wiping out the Sith... for now.

But as you say, word of him being Vader's offspring could easily cause waves of distrust and fear in those following him. And we all know what path fear leads to....!

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    A running joke I have is can you imagine what's going through the mind of Joe Average Imperial who was in that shuttle bay?

What the...Is that somebody carrying Darth (censored) Vaderr?!?!? WE'RE (censored)!!!!!!!
    (later)
    HOLY (censored) DID DARTH VADER JUST DIE??!?!?!?

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Always found it quite strange to see Darth Vader in such a weak state. Not strange in a bad way, just...y'know, a bit shocking - no matter how many times I've seen the movies it always hits a nerve.

12. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Probably because Vaders journey to redemption was done properly, so that you actually cared as to what was happening to him.

13. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Considering Luke blew up DS1 and became a hero for it - I'm pretty sure people will believe he was involved in it all over again...

-C

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "Will the general public believe Luke when he says what went down on the Death Star II?"

Considering this guy "Luke Skywalker" blew up the death star that had been used by the Empire to blow an entire planet up I'm sure that, not only will nobody miss the second Death Star, but they would probably assume that this same Luke Skywalker didn't have vastly different motives during his involvement in getting rid of version 2.0.

Ryus likes this.
  15. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    Exactly

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Luke: "I was on the Death Star and saw Darth Vader & the Emperor die."
    Rebel Leadership: "Why were you on the Death Star? You were supposed to be on the forest moon. Are you saying that you're a deserter?"
    Luke: "Uhhh....psst Han, remember how you owe me one?"
    Han: "It's not my fault!"

DarthBreezy and DarthApprentice like this.
  17. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    THIS!^ ;)

18. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    The rebels knew Luke was a Jedi-in-training. So it was logical for him to be the face to Palps and Vader, and nobody needed to know of the deeper relationship.

We have already seen multiple planets celebrate, so Luke will be celebrated along with the rest of the rebellion.

I could see why some would think it be very interesting if the new villain discovered a terrible truth...that Luke is the son of Vader. BUT that would potentially lead to questions about how good could Anakin have been? And if Anakin wasn't good...maybe the Republic wasn't good...so ...this rebellion thing must be okay.

Perhaps Leia will be seen as a Boris Yeltsin or Gorbachev type - someone who played with the evil regime but worked reform from the inside. She will be distrusted. But people should be over it after 30 years.

The Jedi Knights will be legendary in the same manner as the Knights Templar. I think.

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    "They didn't blow up the Death Star! Everyone knows it was staged in the Tatooine desert!"

DarthBreezy likes this.
  20. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't think that Luke or Leia are going to call to attention that Vader was their father. I am sure that their family secret is pretty well guarded.

21. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    That's how I felt after Attack Of The Clones temper tantrums.

Luke will get respect when they replay the black box found in the DeathStar wreckage. Those things are made of titanium ya know. Virtually indestructible.

22. The Umpire Strokes Bach

The Umpire Strokes Bach Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2012

I know this is more about DS I, but I believe any truthers in the GFFA
    would no doubt find plenty of details in Luke's story highly questionable.

Darth kRud likes this.
  23. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Depends on what story he tells. He should keep it simple Vader and the Emperor killed each other which will be pretty evident to the empire at large soon enough. Nothing else needs to be added.