main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Will the GFFA go beyond its past technological limits?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ghost, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    In the PT and OT (as well as most of the EU), it has seemed like everything is technologically possible in Star Wars... except for these limits:

1. Droid Equality... droids and other AI who are the true equals of other sentients

2. Time Travel

3. Teleportation

4. Intergalactic Travel... there really isn't much interaction (if any) between the GFFA and any other galaxies

5. Stellar Engineering & Common Terraformation... we don't really see anyone creating and molding star systems, or completely transforming worlds... the closest that comes to this is the Death Star

6. Invisibility... true invisibility, such as the kind a Ring of Power or Cloak of Invisibility have brought in similar franchises

7. Flight... not jetpack flight or speeder flight, but being able to levitate and fly without any external apparatus, like Superman or Peter Pan or Voldemort

8. Advanced Nanotechnology... that leads to be able to eliminate pollution/waste and restore whole planetary ecosystems, miraculously heal the sick and wounded (even regrowing lost parts), instantly construct or replicate materials and even megastuctures, and ultimately lead to post-scarcity where money/labor/poverty are obsolete due to an abundance of resources

9. More Common "Transhumanism"... more people choosing to become cyborgs voluntarily, or genetically engineer and transform themselves and/or their children, or creating new lifeforms, or subjugating/mind-controlling existing lifeforms, or trying to resurrect the dead... though this is already done in the GFFA, it's just uncommon and usually considered too radical or inferior to the original... the closest we come to this are Darth Vader, General Grievous, Luke Skywalker, and the Clone Army

These seem to be the technological limits in the GFFA as we know it (did I miss anything?)

Can we see any of these limits being overcome before, or during, the ST?

2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    No and I repeat no time travel. After that, I'm open to just about anything.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    So, alternate realities it is, then! [face_dancing]

Death_Jar_Jar likes this.
  4. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    [​IMG]

No apparatus here.... :D

kubricklynch likes this.
  5. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    I'm not interested in any of that stuff being in Star Wars. Especially time travel.

I don't want Star Wars to become more and more advanced as time moves on. This isn't Star Trek. The focus should be on the magical and fantasy elements, not the technological.

Gamiel, DBPirate, jaqen and 8 others like this.
  6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Nanotechnology and maybe teleportation I could see fitting. But none of the other stuff, IMO.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

This is essentially my feelings about this as well... however, I wouldn't be 100% opposed to seeing a type of spacecraft that's never been shown before in the sage, a spacecraft with insane & awesome capabilities.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  8. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    None of those things can trace to the Illiad Odyssey Titanomachy Theogeny Oresteia Oedipus Rex Aeneid Le Morte D'Arthur etc etc etc and other Neolithic to Dark Age texts, where the human psyche was getting mapped into archtypes. (Aristotelean) Conflict of Man versus Technology didn't raise its head till after the Enlightenment with Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Star Wars does sample the conflict of Man versus Technology, but it is generally a dressing and an ornament in service to a Roman Senator deceiving and stabbing his way to the Principate, and overturning representative (democracy) electoral government, aided by a complicit oligarchy (insert military industrial complex), and then add some Jesus. Technology that abruptly rubs your face in its immediate topicality is more of a Star Trek domain. Star Wars asks you to wonder why you killed your father and kissed your sister. Star Trek can work on the whiz bang of the undiscovered impossible.

I cannot think of a technology Star Wars should be adding because I cannot think of one good reason why there has not been another modern franchise launched, originating in this (g.d.) third millenium, other than Star Trek, other than Stargate, other than BSG, other than Farscape, other than Babylon 5, etc etc, that covers that and pushes the limits of the speculative further. Star Wars is hallowed in other ways. That's its secret - it's always timeless.

9. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    #6 "invisibility" was mentioned in ESB and witnessed in TCW.
    As to #9, yes those plot point are uncommon but we only have 6 movies and a kids show atm... soon enough more of at least some of those will arrive.

Heck no to #2, but heck yes to setting future movies in other time periods... the EU, though now non-canon, did give Star Wars 25k of Jedi history

#1 see my avatar, in the old EU droids did rebel around 4k years in the past... its why theirs biggotry against droids. Mind you, the droid rebellion wasn't some super all thinking computer entitiy at work... just som assassin droids.

#3 no thanks, it makes avoiding a battle too easy... and cheapens regular warfare and makes the cool vechiles obsolite and star wars has cool vechiles., Trekies even complained teleporting in the reboots was so overpowered it mad starfleet obsolite.

#4 kinda implied to one day happen or already has due to the closing scene of Empire

#5 yes, let's create a star... cause we don't have enough of them in a galaxy far far away clearly

#7 why, to save effects budget but claim high tech? Everyone already knows ships can levotate in this series

#8 construct mega structures? Ever heard of Corusant? Or the DeathStar

plaidphoenix and Iron_lord like this.
  10. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    There have been true sentient droids that are equals... IG-88 was an independent bounty hunter in the OT. It basically depends on the individual droid on if they are capable of being considered equals.

Ryus, Iron_lord and thejeditraitor like this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That's fine, I was just trying to come up with a list of everything the GFFA can't do, and see if any of that should change for the ST. I'm personally undecided.

See above. Also I don't think you understood #8. I'm talking about nanotechnology nearly-instantly constructing anything, from materials to even megastructures. Like gray building the Death Star in one piece in 60 seconds kind of thing, as well as being able to instantly construct as much food/medicine/hardware/objects as anyone wishes at any time.

12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I understood... was just being checky with you. Since you missed me giving a subtle hint that why both showing us new ways to build the same things instead of just showing us the new megastructure and not wasting screen time on the building process. So I'll spell it out... No, this is not the franchise for nanotech building processes. Keep nanotech for the purposes of building stuff away from star wars. That said the fifth season of the clone wars did have nanotech (don't think they called it that though) bombs that was put into the blood streem of an unsuspecting victim for the purpose of terrorism.

13. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    1.) Exists
    2.) Really not something I want to see as time travel plots are Star Treks domain.
    3.) Exists in the EU, though it's limited to only one example and being from one hoop like device to another. Appeared in something like 1 story.
    4.) Attempted in the EU with Outbound Flight and done by the Yuuzhan Vong. Not really worth using again, as we have more then enough conflict in just one galaxy.
    5.) In the EU, the Corellian System was assembled by a massive automated space station known as Centerpoint Station, while it didn't mess with the star, it did move planets into their current position.
    6.) Cloaking technology exists for ships, but uses components that are extremely rare, Maul's Sith Infiltraitor was fitted with one. In addition, the EU includes personal stealth field generators have existed since the Old Republic age, though they aren't perfect cases of invisibility.
    7.) Self levitation is possible for a Jedi, but draining... Also, if it's without external apparatus isn't that by definition - not - technological?
    8.) Nanotechnology does exist in Star Wars, but is primarily used as a weapon or poison. Also, I don't like seeing Grey Goo... take it away!
    9.) Lobot.

Ryus likes this.
  14. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    I'd probably walk out of the theater if there was time travel in the ST.

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "Well, not unless you can alter time, speed up the harvest, or teleport me off this rock!"

These things should continue to not exist in SW.

16. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    No we don't need another Caravan of Courage type situation when earth kids visiting Endor thank you. Lets keep this in a GFFA so everyone can enjoy the a film without any real time hang ups.

17. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Yes. SW isn't really about that stuff, advancing technologically, etc. It's primarily a fantasy story, mythical elements, heroes, villians, that just happens to be set in a futuristic sci-fi environment.

Ryus likes this.
  18. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Of course the reason he says these ridiculous things is he knows they don't really exist.

Ryus likes this.
  19. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Nanotechnology! Maybe then we can see a nanite have a lightsaber duel with a midi-chlorian....

Ryus likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd love #1 and #4. I've always been curious about those things.

No time travel and nothing ancient but more advanced than the present.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup, that's my point. :)

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    No virtual reality/life in a computer/matrix/tron experiences, either.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The cheap approach to time travel - be preserved accidentally or on purpose for hundreds or thousands of years - actually cropped up quite a lot in the EU.

"Being sent back in time" however, is vastly rarer - only crops up once or twice, and never as a major arc. In Tilotny Throws a Shape (Alan Moore SW comic in Devilworlds) Leia discovers an ancient stormtrooper helmet so battered with age it appears to be thousands of years old. Since the Empire is only a couple of decades old, this comes as a big surprise.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    In my opinion, the pinnacle of Star Wars technological advancement should be the Death Star (well, the Death Star II actually). Other supposed advancements should be more aesthetic and based around the general tone of the film and status of the galaxy (compare Naboo's elegant designs at the end of the heyday of the Old Republic to the Empire's industrial mechanical horrors) than on realistic technological evolution.

Star Wars isn't science fiction, it is fantasy dressed in some of sci-fi's usual trappings. In fantasy they still use swords and bows despite the histories often stretching back thousands of years. Star Wars should be the same with its technology. If we were to go back to the ancient Old Republic era there should still be lightsabers, spaceships, etc., but perhaps with a much more explicitly fantasy-esque design to them.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    A good example:

[​IMG]

Sadly, most ships prior to this era are far more "modern" looking - with this particular ship being like that more for artistic reasons - the Jedi owner of it is rich and likes to customise.

Gamiel likes this.