main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will the Indy films be retitled for DVD?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Wampas_Have_Dandruff, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wampas_Have_Dandruff

Wampas_Have_Dandruff Jedi Master star 2

Dec 2, 2002
    Now that it's official that TLC is no longer the "last crusade", do you think they may retitle the films for the upcoming DVD set? They already changed the order of the films and one of the titles on the last VHS release. Personally, I think if they're going to change "Raiders", it would sound better as just "Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark". Temple of Doom is fine the way it is, but I don't have a clue what they would call Last Crusade. Any ideas?

On a side note, we all know that TOD comes chronologically before Raiders, but aside from the box telling us this, is there anything IN the movie itself that signifies it's a prequel? I never had a clue until I saw the box for the last VHS release.

2. tendra_217

tendra_217 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    I don't think that they will change the name of the last crusade. Because it refers to the holy grail more than Indy's last movie.

Besides it saying that it is earlier on the box. The date at the start is a dead give away.

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I agree with the last post. The Last Crusade title was a direct reference to the religious crusades during the time period the King Arthur legend was set in. I don't see why they would change any of the titles.

4. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    IMO, a title change after the movie has been out for 20 years is the biggest insult to a film.

5. Wampas_Have_Dandruff

Wampas_Have_Dandruff Jedi Master star 2

Dec 2, 2002
    That's a good point about the "Last Crusade" referring to the Grail and the actual crusades, but I must admit, when I first heard the title, I thought of it as the last crusade of Indiana Jones, and I'm sure many casual fans think of it that way also. So it could get a little confusing after Indy 4. But I agree, I don't really want the titles to change.

A good point about the dates showing that TOD comes before Raiders, but I was actually looking for something within the story or characters. For example, we know TPM and AOTC are prequels without them saying "An even longer time ago in a galaxy far far away..." LOL

6. MacIntoshyStation

MacIntoshyStation Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2003
    "IMO, a title change after the movie has been out for 20 years is the biggest insult to a film. "

like taking the guns out of ET?

or adding a scream when Luke falls?

But I don't think they'll rename it.

7. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I personally hope that they:

(1) Retitle "Raiders"

(2) Put the "Raiders" and "Last Crusade" titles in the same cool font/lettering as we see on the packaging and at the beginning of "Temple of Doom"

(3) Fix Al Molina's character name so it's spelled correctly

(4) Replace all the guns with walkie-talkies ;)

Rick McCallum loves you!

8. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Well, they have already retitled Raiders of the Lost Ark for the last video release, as now it's called, rather awkwardly, Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. The trouble is, Indy was supposed to be one of those raiders, so it just makes the title sound rather silly, and far too long, too!

9. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Well, oaksey me boska, you can also think of the title that Indiana is just "chillin'" with the raiders of the lost ark, y'know? Or perhaps he was just too good for them. I mean, he does have that fedora..

And I seriously hope they don't retitle any of the movies. :)

10. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I thought the Nazis were the raiders.

Oooops.

Rick McCallum [face_love] you! (Happy Valentine's Day!)

11. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Well, they have already retitled Raiders of the Lost Ark for the last video release, as now it's called, rather awkwardly, Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. The trouble is, Indy was supposed to be one of those raiders, so it just makes the title sound rather silly, and far too long, too!

Well, the name change was only on the video box cover. In the actual film, it still says "Raiders of the Lost Ark." I imagine that this will remain the same for the DVD release. Look the DVD covers here:

12. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    God, I hope not. Don't mess with a good thing.

13. Jack-D-Ripper

Jack-D-Ripper Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 21, 2002
    "On a side note, we all know that TOD comes chronologically before Raiders, but aside from the box telling us this, is there anything IN the movie itself that signifies it's a prequel? I never had a clue until I saw the box for the last VHS release."

Well, it says "South America, 1936" at the beginning of Raiders, and Doom says "Shanghai, 1934" at the beginning.

BTW, I really don't see the point of re-naming the films. Besides, "Last Crusade" refers more to the film's subject matter, involving the Holy Grail and ancient knights, than to it being the last in a series of three films.

-JDR.

14. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well I believe it was a play on both things, the Holy Grail subject matter and it being he last Indy film back then, which was the intention. Just look at the last scene with them riding into the sunset.

15. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I hope they aren't retitled.
    Like many people have stated TLC is referring to the holy grail and how this is the last of the crusades for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.