main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Speculation Will the new trilogy try to match the tone of the OT or PT?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by Boba Frett, Nov 19, 2012.

?

Will the new trilogy more closely match the Classic or Prequel trilogies, or have its own vibe?

1. Prequel Trilogy

9.5%
  2. Classic Trilogy

28.6%
  3. Do its own thing

61.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
    Something in between, the sequel Trilogy should resolve the Star wars story overall, but not in the sort of 'happily ever after' way that Jedi did. Otherwise there's no point in doing it, the happy ending came in Ep6.

I'd like it all to end in a very bittersweet way, kind of like Lord of the Rings, so that when its all over we all feel that we've been watching something truly epic that will never happen again.

2. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    The biggest difference, to me, in tone of the two trilogies is that the PT seemed heavy-handed with all of it's political manueverings and the like; whereas the OT was much more akin to an epic fairy tale with rescuing Princesses and staving off a brutal Empire and learning to harness incredible power from a mystic who lives in isolation and exile. Good stuff. The PT was more about the intrigue of corruption, and the path to one's destiny, and the whole operatic arc of Anakin's rise and fall.

In the simplest terms, I found the OT much more entertaining. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but when I was a kid, we didn't give two hoots about playing Jedi Knights. We wanted to strap into an X-Wing and blow away TIE's.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    I would say the PT is consistently classical and almost period-piece in its design and execution. I personally love this just as much as the more swashbuckling, Robin Hood/Errol Flynn, pirate-adventure-movie feel that features with much of the OT and ANH in particular. But I think it's wrong to categorize the OT as one distinct style. To me, ESB and ROTJ aren't really too far away from what we got with the PT, albeit with different characters and a hugely different set of arenas (indeed ESB probably did more to shape the Star Wars saga as it came to be). The one that still stands out the most is ANH. Star Wars could have been anything after that. If anything, the course it was on shifted irreversibly with ESB.

When I think about distinct images that define what I love about the Star Wars saga, I often think of ones contained within the PT. Say what you want about acting, dialogue and whether or not they contradicted or spoiled the OT, they truly are beautiful movies. And while the action/adventure and more carefree tone of ANH and many parts of the rest of the OT is wonderful too, I wouldn't wish to trade in the scale, richness or tone of the PT to achieve that alone. A combination and evolution of styles with nods to all of the aspects we've seen before would be satisfying for me. Whether or not this can be achieved with JJ Abrams alone is questionable. Part of me is hoping for three directors (one for each movie) to help ensure this.

WatTamborWoo and FRAGWAGON like this.
  4. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Although I'd like that PT tone - more serious, more epic with realistic, human characters with a hint of politics, it is quite clear that we'll get something different. It'll be most likely self-sustained trilogy with it's own and unique tone and thematic.
    I'll be good just if the main farmboy hero doesn't blow something up in the first movie.

d_arblay likes this.
  5. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    "Every stanza is meant to rhyme" remember ;)

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Four Realms star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Voted "in between."

I don't want a happily-ever-after fairy tale but I don't want a Murphy's Law film (I'm looking at you, ROTS) either.

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Force Ghost star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Entirely different. That way we wouldn't be getting an OT nostalgia-type trilogy.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Lucas said back in 1983 that the ST would be summed up as 'ethereal.' Now if they stick to that, I think it could have a deep message that sort of relates to all of us and how we deal with death (meaning Luke, Leia and Han). Now back in 1983, Lucas was probably thinking of the ST with Luke, Leia and Han still in their prime, so this will be more about the next generation, but I still think that the possible deaths of the OT big 3 will play a part in the moral message of the Trilogy.

Overall, the ST will be more like OT as you will follow the good guys for 3 movies, and it wont be a trilogy about following a good guy gone bad to his destruction. But I really hope the ST sort of sums up the PT/OT when it is all said and done and we can look back at the 9 movies, and see the overall meaning they are all going to tell. I am very hopeful of this as even though I enjoy the PT/OT, I never liked that Lucas made the overall arc about the 'Tragedy of Darth Vader' as it is an overall story that just doesn't sit well with me since he is essentially a mass murderer.

9. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Force Ghost star 5

Jun 24, 2013
    Something different.

GL's early story treatments said that this trilogy would deal with Moral and Philosophical Problems. We need that.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Please note: If this becomes an OT vs. PT thread, it will be locked.

11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I would like the grey side , a bit of both OT & PT......but from the PT more of the Lightsabre duels & the Dark stuff not the fluffy stuff.......

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Like the PT, except the lightside wins (unless there's going to be an Episode X).

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I expect the ST to be different from the PT and OT though there will be certain elements from both I assume.

Darth Claire and darklordoftech like this.
  14. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    the trilogy should be like this:

Luke goes to the outer-rim to "search himself" after the loss of Obi-Wan, Yoda and his dad, and comes across some wise mentor, who teaches him "to be more than just a Jedi, you must be something else entirely...a legend Mr Skywalker" Mentor turns out to be some deluded darksider who wants to liberate the galaxy from the evil empire and corruptible Republic

the next ep will have Luke face a totally psychotic Sith lord, who just "does things" and "wants to see the galaxy burn", he would also blast off Han's face, and then Han will go all psycho too, and start killing everyone because the falcon told him to.

the last ep will have Luke missing in action throughout half of the film, and is stuck in a darkside cave on Dagobah, after learning his greatest fear he returns to save the galaxy from the student of the deranged Mentor from the first film

there you have it

the white knight trilogy

15. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Jedi Master star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Dark and ominous like the PT was in some of it's best moments at the end of AOTC and most of ROTS. I would like to see something past an episode IX and if the bad guys win out in the ST I think we'll get more films. Definitely do want there to be some nice correlation with the OT however.

16. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    To a few of the people who dont want a happily ever after ending to the ST, I got some news for you. Its going to be. You dont end a 9 part epic fairytale on a downer or a empty feeling ending. Episode IX WILL end triumphantly with the Republic fully restored and the galaxy in a fully healthy state with the jedi as its guardians once more. Thats the only way it could and should end.

17. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    GL's early story treatments said that this trilogy would deal with Moral and Philosophical Problems. We need that.
    -------------------------

didn't we get all that in the other 6 films?

not that I'm saying they shouldn't continue it, but it's hardly new.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  18. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Jedi Master star 5

Nov 23, 2002

That's only true if the Star Wars Saga is going to end at Episode IX.

19. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    "If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves," Lucas says, "Star Wars is more about personal growth and self-realisation, and the third deal with moral and philosophical problems. In Star Wars, there is a very clear line drawn between good and evil. Eventually you have to face the fact that good and evil aren't that clear-cut and the real issue is trying to understand the difference. The sequel is about Jedi knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned."

I'm willing to bet Lucas has kept with this vision for the ST. At least I hope he has.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  20. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I voted "something new". "Etherial" would be new. Just don't know what that would mean for SW.

21. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    The ST needs to have an overall message after you watch them, or a deeper meaning. For me, the difference between SW movies and most blockbusters is that SW delves deeper then just action and effects. Each trilogy sort of has a defining message that speaks to the audience, and I hope the ST continues that. If it just ends up being another summer blockbuster with little substance, then I will be really disappointed.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.