main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will the PT music be fixed for the DVD?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by hawk, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Er, Wester... what's the deal? By "bad editing," do you refer to music that was NOT edited? That good editing means hacking things to bits? We don't seem to be on the same plane of conversation.

Yah and the entire end of TPM, the music is choppy and doesn't flow well. Also, how many times do we need to track the beginning of "Talk of Podracing"? It's in the film 3 times!

It's not tracked at the end of the film. Where is the third appearance?

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    How can the beginning of "Talk of Podracing" NOT be tracked when it appears over the end of the droid battle?

3. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    It doesn't.

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    OK you are right. However, there is another bit that is used three different times in TPM.

5. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Er, well, the problem here is they're not edited at all or they're edited with wrong timings, or just not at the correct time, which hurts the flow of the music in accomodation to the actual scenes.

6. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    I don't see any problem with the synch points (the timings). They seem to match.

7. Wester547

Nov 5, 2004
    Again, I strongly recommend, upon another viewing of the film, to pay closer attention the music.

8. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    I know this score like the back of my hand. The bad synch points in "Anakin's Dream" and "Anakin's Betrayal" are just not there. Could you provide some examples?

9. Wester547

Nov 5, 2004
    It's not the score I'm complaining about, it's the USE, EDITING, and SYNCHNORIZATION of it in the actual movie that I'm on about. Well actually the official soundtrack itself could have used a better editor and supervisor, it does feel very cut, copied, and pasted at times, more like a hack rush job. But the film, fortunately, doesn't always seem to have this problem.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Wester did it occur to you that cerrabore and myself might have as much knowledge and familiarity with the material as you do, but we disagree with you?

11. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    It's not the score I'm complaining about, it's the USE, EDITING, and SYNCHNORIZATION of it in the actual movie that I'm on about.

Right. Gotcha. What's your problem with the editing in "Anakin's Dream" and "Anakin's Betrayal?"

12. Wester547

Nov 5, 2004
    How can you possibly disagree with clearly horrible editing?

Nothing. Well, not with the actual musical themes anyway.

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    You mean how can we possibly disagree with your opinion? Nice attitude to have on a discussion board.

14. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Wester... I DON'T HEAR the horrible editing in those cues. And I pay very close attention to the music. So could you please list some specific examples of the supposed bad editing?

15. Wester547

Nov 5, 2004
    No, no, no!!! Everyone's entitled to their own opinion for Christ's sake.... that's not what I meant. I don't mean to come across as being rude with a nasty attitude.

The problem is there's no editing in the cues you're refering to and the music is just thrown in there, stitched into the movie.

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes but I don't think it sounds thrown in there. I think it lays over the film very well and works fantastically.

17. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    The problem is there's no editing in the cues you're refering to and the music is just thrown in there, stitched into the movie.

Why does the music have to be edited? I think you're forgetting that John Williams writes his music to films - down to a split-second. It is intended to synch up with the film, and if it doesn't, it's because the film itself was edited later on.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Could it be that Williams wanted something that was not a note for note match to action type cue, but something that soared over the entire section? THAT is exactly what I think he was doing with the sequence involving Bail's speeder and Anakin's "Death" and I think it works beautifully.

19. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Yes. Maybe, Wester, you were expecting short action bursts for each Jedi's death?

20. Wester547

Nov 5, 2004
    Nope. But also, where there should have been a musical score, there wasn't, such as wehn Obi-Wan and Anakin were fighting the Magna Guards, when they were rescueing the Chancellor, during their second and last duel with Dooku, etc, at least some sort of Ambient music.

21. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Nope. But also, where there should have been a musical score, there wasn't, such as wehn Obi-Wan and Anakin were fighting the Magna Guards, when they were rescueing the Chancellor, during their second and last duel with Dooku, etc, at least some sort of Ambient music.

"Grievous and the Droids" is the music for the MagnaGuard fight, but it was (mostly) cut from the film. The cue "The Elevator Scene," which corresponds to Track 1 4:46-end, was also cut. It was intended for the sequence where Obi-Wan and Anakin try to get the elevator working. The duel with Dooku had some music, just not at the beginning. And you still haven't explained your specific problems with "Anakin's Dream" and "Anakin's Betrayal."

22. Wester547

Nov 5, 2004

Oh for bloody Frak's sake, you never give up do you? Must I repeat myself a million times??? I have no such specific problems with the soundtrack itself, I have a problem of how it was carelessly thrown into the movie without precise or any tracking! For the last time. :rolleyes:

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    OK I think it's time to move on. There is getting to be too much attitude in this thread...

24. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Oh for bloody Frak's sake, you never give up do you? Must I repeat myself a million times??? I have no such specific problems with the soundtrack itself, I have a problem of how it was carelessly thrown into the movie without precise or any tracking! For the last time.

I... I... do you read? When have asked about problems with the soundtrack? I am asking what your problem with its editing in the film is, and you basically say "I have a problem with its editing in the film!" Huh.

25. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Although AOTC had the most amount of tracked music during the Geonosis Battle, I thought it was quite bearable and rather suited the scenes.

The worst tracking however in any Star Wars movie, IMO, happens in ROTS during Anakin's Jedi Temple Raid. Although the arena march was fantastic, it didn't fit that scene at all. And above all that, the theme was looped on a very, very crappy way. It really took away attention from a great scene. It's the only scene in Star Wars which is really ruined because of bad music editing. It's a pity. That scene really deserved some great, emotional and darker music. I don't know whether Williams actually scored the part or not, but I hope it'll fixed for future releases.

There also was dissucion over here about the "order 66" music during Bail Organa's Jedi Temple arrival. I thought it suited the scene brilliantly and that's my favourite part of the Order 66 sequence. I wouldn't want it to be changed. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.