main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will the Republic blame Leia/Resistance for provoking the First Order?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Will the Republic blame Leia/Resistance for provoking the First Order?

Hux does give that as his reason for using the Starkiller against the Hosnia system, because so many Senators were not-so-secretly supporting the Resistance.

I'm sure what's left of the Republic's military will now go to war with the First Order... but they could also hunt down the Resistance at the same time.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  2. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    It'd be kinda crazy if we got a Syrian Civil War type situation where the government is desperate to take down the terrorists but feels the need to take on their potentially allied rebel groups as well. I doubt it though. I suspect it'd be too topical. They seemed to go out of their way to avoid mentioning politics of any kind and I have the nagging and unpleasant suspicion that they're going to continue with that and just pretend that the Republic was wiped out in one shot when they should be showing us a genuine galactic war of conquest with the First Order reconquering Republic territory.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don't even think the Republic exists anymore.

4. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Well Leia definitely will blame herself. Probably.

5. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    Snoke can discredit Leia by revealing to the galaxy she's Darth Vader's daughter. The same with Luke.

Wildcatbarry and Solo-Skywalker like this.
  6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no one would care and there would be no way to prove it. i doubt one of snoke's tactics is "spread gossip."

Strongbow likes this.
  7. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015

No one would care if the leader of the Resistance and the last Jedi are the children of Darth Vader, a Sith Lord and the Emperor's enforcer?

8. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    like i said, no one would believe it. the fs is more direct. like blowing up a solar system.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  9. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Birth certificate? Blood test? Recording of Luke and Leia's conversation on Endor?

10. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    it's not an issue. that's something people would do in real life not sw.

11. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    That would be interesting. Imagine if The Republic disbands the Resistance and has the leaders, including Leia, go on trial. Would be a very interesting conflict.

Seeher and Thorin Oakenshield like this.
  12. Steve1988

Steve1988 Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    Question, Is the first order a continuation of the Empire or a completely different group? In TFA fin was not a clone but an individual taken from birth. This is not how the empire clone storm troopers were. Also, kylo ren wants to finish what vader started, didn't really understand his link to vader.

Thorin Oakenshield likes this.
  13. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    VERY interesting idea. But I agree that they probably won't give that to us. :p

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    According to recent rumors, the Resistance will still be separate from the Republic in Episode 8.

Could this be why?

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the Resistance might blame the Republic for allowing the First Order to gain traction in the first place.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, if they don't work out their differences, neither is likely to survive.

17. Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 9, 2016
    Yep I think the first time we see Leia will be her meeting with Laure Dern. Dern will be bascially acting chancellor in the chaos.Dern will scold her for angering the FO. Leia will respond saying if the Republic had backed her there would be no crisis. Dern tells her she will take control of the resistance forces and put Leia in some kind of imprisonment. Dern will then meet with Poe, Finn and other resistance officers, telling her it is in the best interests of everyone to seek terms with the FO. Poe will refuse, saying that the FO are terroists only interested in the destruction of the republic and their interests, and asking for terms is the same as surrendering. The others agree with this. Dern threatens to throw them all in prison so they leave. Next scene involves them breaking out Leia in a nice little action scene. Leia tells them that the republic is no longer their ally and they must find a new ally so they turn to the criminal underworld led by King Prana.

Seeher, MattOrgana and nightangel like this.
  18. Thorin Oakenshield

Feb 9, 2016
    I think it is the surviving govenors of the empire banded together, calling themselves the FO. They signed a peace treaty with the republic to stop the fighting. The treaty allowed them to hold onto the systems they still controlled so long as they restricted their soilders/weapons. The republic had to do the same. Then Snoke took command and started building up the army and weapons in secret. At some point Leia learned of this and asked the Republic to intervene. They refused to believe her without hard evidence so she set up the resistance to fight and discredit the FO.

19. Thorin Oakenshield

Feb 9, 2016
    Tonyg. Would love to hear from you about the historical similarities with the ST story. Has there been a situation where a group ignorned their goverment and took it upon themselves to fight a threat like the FO?

20. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I am quite certain that the differences between Leia/ the Resistance and the New Republic forces (if they still exist) will be explored in 8. Though it may simply be an internal conflict/ philosophical difference within the Resistance, with the New Republic being gone.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Thorin Oakenshield you've had too many warnings about double & now triple posting. This will be your last. If you run out of time to edit your last post, you need to wait for someone else to post. Next time earns you a ban.

22. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    It reminds me of the situation of IRA and Sinn Féin in Northern Ireland (not only of them, of course, but I think this is the most recent example). As you know, both movements wanted to remove Northern Ireland form UK, but Sinn Féin is a legal political party that try to negotiate and IRA is, i.e. was a military semi clandestine organization; they were convinced that the path of peace would be useless to succeed (if there are any Irish in this thread, they can explain it even better). The case of Northern Ireland was not the only one in the European history (for example) when there was 2 "parties" in one movement with the same goal: free the country (but one of them has always preference to fight and the other one to negotiate). The problem with Ep.7 for me is that the political issue is too unclear: who is the government really? Because someone mentioned the situation in Syria. For the territories that are under the control of the so called Islamic state, ISIS is the government, no matter that the rest of the world, including Syria itself, consider it as illegal, but this is point of view, remember ;)? So if they continue to play it safe in the sequels, we would never know who/what is the government and who/what is the opposition.

23. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    I don't think they'll blame Leia for provoking the first order. I personally think they will need the resistances help more than ever. Leia and other Resistance members have first-hand experience dealing with this kind of enemy. Not only with the time the FO has been fighting the Resistance, but also fighting the GE. Leia was on the ground fighting the GE she knows this kind of enemy. It would be foolish of the New Republic to be at odds with the Resistance especially after what happened to the Hosnian System.

24. Thorin Oakenshield

Feb 9, 2016
    Embarassingly I am Irish and you know more about the situation than I do!! In my opinion Sinn Fein were secretly funding the IRA similar to the republic and Gerry Adams was part of the IRA. In my view the resistance is a gureilla group fighting the FO. It is interesting that you referred to the IRA because in order for peace to happen in the North the IRA had to dissarm. So could you see an angle where Leia is branded a criminal by the republic [what is left of it?]

25. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    The only reason for that will be if the Republic could have some advantage of doing this and I don't see such. If this is the price for the Republic to negotiate a peace with a First Order, then it could be justified. But again, we don't know if they are in such negotiations or how exactly powerful is the First Order.