main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will the Republic blame Leia/Resistance for provoking the First Order?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Dec 19, 2015.

1. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    The FO had access to some pretty scary weaponry, mostly SKB so they may be even more powerful a force than what's shown in VII. I think what we've seen is only the tip of the spear.

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I don't think they'd really blame her for the destruction of their fleet and capital, but I could see them holding her responsible for failing to properly warn them or stop Starkiller before it fired; politics can be fickle like that.

However, I think the break between the Resistance and Republic is more likely to be one based off what strategem to approach the First Order with. Leia isn't going to wait; the Resistance will probably jump right back into combat. But the Republic, with its infrastructure and main leaders wiped out, might be stuck arguing with itself. Some members may want to fallback and regroup before striking, while others may be cowed into considering appeasement or surrender. And there's plenty of room for divided forces and arguments over "General" Organa's legitimacy.

I'm thinking Episode 8 will feature more gathering forces and taking sides than just a binary war.

3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    And she could point out that:

-She and The Resistance didn't know about SKB at all until it fired for the first time.
    -If they had listened to her about the true threat that the FO posed in the first place, none of this might have happened.

Yeah, the back and forth could be fun/interesting to see.

Seeher likes this.
  4. Rimfaxe96

Rimfaxe96 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2016
    I doubt because, well, the Republic doesn't really exist anymore.
    Also it was Leia who kept bugging politicians about the FO, and who never believed her and ignored her altogether.

The only thing that could make sh!t hit the fan for Leia would be if people found out who Kylo really is.

5. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    The NR government/fleet was destroyed. But I doubt that the entire NR itself was destroyed.

6. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    So who would be the one to let people of the Republic know that Kylo is Leia's son Ben? Who would know and how?

7. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Yes. The blame her and Han Solo for allowing the rise of Kylo Ren too.

Thorin Oakenshield likes this.
  8. Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 9, 2016
    Tonyg. In terms of the might of the FO. I imagine they would be the star wars equivilant of North Korea.There are definate parrells between the two. The question is how powerful are North Korea? If they did launch nukes at America, EU what would be there next move? Invade South Korea and maybe go futher?

9. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016

Well, I don't know, I don’t see such parallels. North Korea never has extraterritorial claims (except in the case of the Korean War, but technically North Korea is founded after that war and nowadays it is not in war even with South Korea) So, it is closed country and the First Order has larger ambition. It could be associated with any colonial power or with Nazi Germany for example. I think the Nazi symbols are too obvious in the movie. Also First Order<=>New Order, the political concept of the Third Reich.

Thorin Oakenshield likes this.
  10. Rimfaxe96

Rimfaxe96 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2016

Essentially, it was destroyed. Without the government in place, and an immediate threat like the FO on its way, there's going to be infighting about who takes charge. And judging from that little excerpt from Bloodlines politicians in the NR were at best scheming backstabbers.

11. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    That's not the same as being "destroyed," and I doubt that it'll be that simple/clear cut in the book.

12. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    The Republic will be irrelevant in the next movie. They were glossed over, then blown out of the water when the FO destroyed their military capability. It's all about setting up the Resistance as the new underdog Rebel Alliance.

CrazyOldJedi and themoth like this.
  13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I'd love to see the Republic/Resistance forces have an advantage in overall numerical superiority while suffering from a lack of cohesive leadership and inconsistent quality of military forces:

The First Order is rearmed and fanatical, but even they've had to change their strategic philosophy to accommodate smaller resources and being on the back foot at the start of any galactic conflict. And while we've seen their Stormtroopers and TIE Pilots seem to have a greater degree of training, Hux is one of their highest ranking officers and SKB was easily their most important weapons development. They should be powerful, and I think the analogy to a young Nazi Germany is accurate; while they have a lot of fire power, their politics and disadvantages shoul require them to use some bluff and bluster to try and get what they want.

So, against this very well organized but still undersized would-be Empire Resurgent, I'd really love to see them embrace some of the infighting and clearly untenable politics of the WWII pre-Operation Barbarossa period: the time when there were still more countries opposed to and condemning Nazi Germany's expansion, but two of the biggest players on the block were still neutral, with arguably the most powerful next door neighbor to the Nazi Regime also being a brutal dictatorship playing for time by sort-of-but-not-quite allying themselves with their future enemies.

So, to give us a bit of the New Republic/Resistance Conflict, why not try and copy some of that scenario? Have the Provisional Republic Government be stuck in a quagmire over what to do about the First Order, and make it clear that the Republic's military is now composed of home fleets; undersized, sometimes outdated and locally made and staffed patrol navies of different sizes. Maybe have Leia make her appeal to unify their forces and get to fighting, but have one powerful player in the Republic pull a Stalin; cede territory to the First Order while simultaneously using his own fleet to annex some neighbors "for their own protection," and maybe even pull off a coup de tat to "try and keep things reasonable."

Then the Resistance can swell with the ranks of those world's and systems that refuse to abide by this illegal Republic stand-in, and find itself able to go toe-to-toe with the First Order, but stuck using smaller fleets and having to rely on swarming tactics combined with more specialized war material. All while The Republic stands on the sidelines, not as some condemnation of democracy (one of the things that made me start to get annoyed at the Legends portrayal of the same givernment) but as a commentary on letting some reactionaries seize power during moments of crisis even if they aren't Sith Lords.

vncredleader likes this.
  14. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I want to see the Republic and Resistance arguing thought ep 8 and by the end the two sides realizing that the FO will crush them even with smaller numbers unless they work together. Have them join up again with the resistance becoming a publicly funded part of the military and have them be kinda the elite commandos. I would have ep 8 end with a reverse of empire. The heroes get a fully functional military and maybe even have them go on the offensive and operating out of Corusant or something to show that they have learned from their mistakes and are fixing them rather then ignoring them like they did before. Idk if it will happen but I want that so badly cause while I get that JJ wanted an underdog tale I still feel like its cheap to have the republic get shoved aside the whole time and to have them still be underdogs the entire trilogy.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Has there been any news of what Vice Admiral Holdo's views are, or how she fits into TLJ? I wonder if she'll be around to represent this view.

16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agree. Whoever wins out of Resistance/First Order claims the galaxy.

17. Wig

Wig Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2016
    Leia being the daughter of Darth Vader is common knowledge. She admitted it at the senate. She left/was made to leave the senate. This was before the FO made themselves known as the FO. She had defeated (with help) a group of pirates or something that were in actuality an early wave of the FO returning to the galaxy. She warned the senate about the 'enemies at the gate' but the senate had fallen into chaos again, she had no credibility and they ignored her. She left and started the resistance. This is from the book Bloodline.

After she left the senate is when I believe she and Han went back to "what they knew best" and left Kylo to deal with all this mess without their support. And this is when he became vulnerable to Snoke.

If anything, Leia will be vindicated as she basically "told them so".

Darth Mikey likes this.
  18. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    There is no worst position to be in than to be proven right.

What is left of the Senate and Military wants to hang this defeat (and losing the capital will be seen as a defeat) around anyone else neck then their own. Leia and the Resistance will be blamed because to not blame them means that the leaders of the New Republic would be at fault and they would never admit to making a mistake of this magnitude.

19. Wig

Wig Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2016
    True. Another part of the story (from Before the Awakening) is that some in the senate wanted to negotiate a truce with the FO, basically letting them keep/govern over the territory they conquered over 6-7 years. A truce for peace. So resistance activity could be blamed for disrupting the peace process. Not to mention she is Vader daughter, maybe some will say she is in league with the FO.

Seeher likes this.
  20. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    It’s already known that she’s the daughter. Now about Luke I don’t know,.

21. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I assumed the whole point of SKB blowing up the capital is so those Senators loyal to the First Order having not been present being the only ones left to assume control of the Republic effectively meaning the FO has conquered the Republic!
    The Resistance are initially blamed with both sides attacking them until Poe tricks them into fighting each other so the surviving Resistance can escape and regroup.
    Episode 8 would reveal the Senators thought Snoke answered to them rather than vice versa which is how and why the Republic begins fighting the First Order.
    I also assumed Snoke used Republic Forces to destroy Luke's new Jedi Order because Luke wanted them free of the political influence that caused the downfall of the Order.
    Oh well I doubt it will be anywhere near that good!

22. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    I know the rumors/ leaks I've heard are she's directly opposed to whatever Leia has planned or wants to do, and she takes control of the Resistance, leading to Poe staging a mutiny to take it back. So I could,definitely see her with the viewpoint of appeasement, opposed to Leia's likely push to fight.

23. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    They shouldn't blame Leia for anything. From Bloodline- someone already inside the New Republic was secretly working for the FO. Lady Carise Sindian the Centrist senator who discovered Leia's parentage is a FO operative left over from the Galactic Senate. She opened something that didn't belong to her and revealed Leia's secret to another Centrist Senator. Leia had to back down from her nomination as First Senator and eventually give her complete resignation from the Senate. Leia tried to warn the senate about what she found on the Amaxine warriors but they weren't really willing to listen thanks to Sindian's actions. Before Leia resigned she had the first meeting in the Senate hall to form the Resistance.