main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will the restructuring of Hyperspace/Insider change how you handle your fan club membership?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Dal--Intrepid, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002

Hyperspace and SW Insider now separate

Long story short - you can now get the Insider without having to pay to be in the fan club and vice versa. If you want both, it's eventually gonna cost you a little more. Ultimately I like the idea that they're splitting off the two. There wasn't ever much on the HS website that made me go there. Also, while getting an "extra day" for HS members at the Celebrations is nice, almost everybody at Celebrations are members, so it's kind of a moot perk.

With Titan taking over the publication of the magazine, I'll see how they shake out and then proceed from there. I'm definitely out of HS when my membership expires. I don't use the website and 10% off at SWS really isn't much given the crazy prices there. I'll miss the fan club membership kit, but not that much. The Insider has been OK, but it seems the stories are slowing being overtaken by more marketing and advertising. Instead of trying to be sly and hide all the marketing in articles, I wish they'd just go back to enclosing a little catalog or something. I also miss the little freebies like cards, etc. being enclosed with the mags. If the magazine doesn't take a significant step forward with the new publisher, I'll probably let that expire too, but I'd prefer to stick with it if given a reason.

So how will be handling your subscriptions and memberships?

2. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    Being from the UK I had to do this anyway.
    I had a hyperspace account for C3 but that year I did subscribe to the insider magazine also and must say what a waste of money it was. C3 was in april, it was not until october that they had a article about the convention now I call that pretty lame.
    I noticed it mentioned in the article under "why the change was taking place?" and them replying by saying part of it was down to fan feedback, I did not or hear of anything taking place at all.

3. Wilderness_Comedian

Wilderness_Comedian Jedi Youngling star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Crap, I just renewed for a mere 40 bucks.

Yeah, that C III spread in the Insider was lame. It was like four pages! You'd think they'd devote the entire issue to C III. I hope there's less EU stuff in the Insider.

4. cronus8

cronus8 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 29, 2002
    I'm not quite sure what I will do. Probably let my online expire and keep the Mag for one more year to see how the new guys do.

5. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    I was distraught seeing this as for me Titan magazines are awful, I love Insider and am lucky that even though I cannot subscribe, as I live in the UK, I have a Borders here that sells it.
    The Titan UK SW magazine is really a rehash of the Insider although a month or two behind in news, the paper stock it's printed on has a low quality feeling apart from the Super Glossy cover and I don't get too get excited about centre spread posters. I don't like the size either and hope that the new Insider doesn't follow suit.

However I will reserve my final judgement til I get the first issue, but I'm not hopeful!

6. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    I dropped my subscription when it ran out the first time after the merger, and haven't renued since. Now that they split them apart again, I might get back into an Insider membership... although I wasn't really reading the last few magazines I got before my subscription ran out last time. So who knows...

7. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I'll probably just resubsribe to the magazine. Hyperspace has been dead for some time now. I've never been able to get any kind of a discount when ordering from SW Shop. :(

8. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    My membership is just about up. I'm hoping that it last till April so I can just get the Insider. Seeing that I never used Hyperspace I can't see paying $40.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.