main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Will the ST fit in with the other 6?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, Sep 29, 2015.

?

Do you think the ST will fit in with the other 6?

1. Yes, I believe that even though Lucas isn't in charge, it'll still function as one saga.

41.7%
  2. Eh...maybe only with the OT.

11.1%
  3. I think they're just going to be like those movies you don't need to watch. Kinda like spin-offs.

30.6%
  4. I'm not quite sure.

16.7%
  1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    The new Star Wars Poetry video that was posted from Vimeo really got me thinking. Since George Lucas isn't in charge anymore, will the ST show any parallels? Will they still be one continuous saga? In other words, will they fit in? Will the prequels be required to see the ST?

I'm kinda thinking people will watch them I-II-III-IV-V-VI or IV-V-VI-VII-VII-IX. I'm not talking about will you like them and count them as your personal canon. I'm saying do you think they'd fit with the overarching story and galaxy?

2. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I hope so! I hope Anakin's ghost (Hayden?) appears, along with Obi and Yoda, and maybe Qui Gon Jinn!

DBPirate likes this.
  3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    :). Ask again on December 19.

Do the Prequels fit in with the Originals?
    They are quite different beasts in style, and I am sure these new movies will have a favor that matches the 2015's rather than the 1970's or 2000's.
    My attitude is that each Trilogy is about a generation. Anakin. Luke. Rey/Finn/Kylo (I am happily unspoiled and unsure who is the main focus of these movies). It can go on forever.

Anyway, short answer.... Yes.

Darth__Lobot and jakobitis89 like this.
  4. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    In the way that they are both about the Skywalkers and an overarching story, yes. As of right now, the ST seems as though it's something they're just adding on. But keep in mind I haven't been spoiled either.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yes.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  6. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    I think if The Force Awakens is successful, the ST should be the start of its own saga.

The Episodes 1-6 Saga was all about two things: (1) the fall and redemption of Vader, and (2) the deception and tyranny of Sidious.

With both of these characters gone, and with the original heroes now old mentors, the Force Awakens needs to establish its own saga to avoid seeming superfluous.

On the other hand, it could try to establish some sort of strong connection to Sidious's empire or the Skywalkers to make it seem part of the whole story instead of an isolated section.

7. Toxic Spider

Toxic Spider Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Are you asking if there will be similar imagery to previous movies (As was demonstrated in the Star Wars Poetry video)? If so, we've already seen some in the teasers, like how the Millennium Falcon flying through the Star Destroyer harkens back to the Millennium Falcon flying through the Death Star II.

8. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    Short Answer: Yes

Slightly Longer Answer: While Lucas is not at the helm, Kennedy has been around for a while and probably has a solid vision that incorporates some elements of Lucas style. Also Disney has the foresight to know what works and what can be improved.

When all said and done, I think the ST will be a trilogy that can sit on its own (Similar to PT and OT) and also a solid chapter in the overall Saga.

9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It has to survive as a standalone series. You can't assume people know the details from old movies. You can't have teenage kids coming out the cinema saying "Huh? I don't get it."

10. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I think JJ is going to make a SW movie the way he wants to and Disney will jam it into the other 6 films regardless of how well it may fit.

DBPirate likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    For some people it will fit. For others it will not.

jakobitis89 and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  12. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    My Answer: I don't know. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  13. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I think the ot and st will flow better than the pt and ot do. but it will still function as a whole saga.

14. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Indeed. It will depend on the individual. I imagine an individual's perspective, whether she or he likes the CT the most, the PT the most, or the six films as a whole, will influence her or his perception of the ST.

Slicer87 and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I'll wait and see.

It's a very difficult question to answer right now because each trilogies has already its own themes, characters and story. In the Original Trilogy, it was the story of a hero's journey, the fight between the indestructible good vs evil, the redemption of a father by his son. In the Prequel Trilogy, it's story of how democracy became a dictatorship, how what was once good became evil, the fall of a tragic hero. For the moment, we have very few clues what the Sequel Trilogy will be in its entirety.

16. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
  17. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Too early to tell.

18. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    In JJ (not Jar Jar!) we trust.

19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well if the ST is done the way of the PT and OT then it won't be "required" to see either but obviously recommended.

The OT should be the more recent "past" of the ST as the PT is of the OT. The PT then would be the further away past to the ST.

As we have seen in the trailer elements of both the PT and OT are of some relevance to the start of the ST.

20. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    Really? I did not see nothing of PT in TFA trailers.

DBPirate likes this.
  21. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    I hope so or I will disregard it. And that would suck because liking 9 films is better than 6.

There will have to be some PT reference/stuff for me. And I want to see it visually not just hear mentions of the clone wars or padme. If there isnt they are just pandering to the haters.

DBPirate and Jo Lucas like this.
  22. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Just like Lucas did with the PT.

So pandering is only ok if they pander to your specific tastes?

23. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    I dont think its pandering just seeing stuff like a Hayden force ghost or old podracers would help connect the trilogys more.

SW Saga Fan, Slicer87 and DBPirate like this.
  24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I assume you mean you did not see anything?

We clearly saw the two halves of Anakin referenced. Anakin Skywalker on the Light side of the Force and Darth Vader on the Dark Side. We see Anakin in the prequels and Vader at the end and Vader in the originals and Anakin at the end.

Not in the least as:
    1) it's totally his story from start to finish.
    2) It fit perfectly as anything can when one is doing 6 movies over 32 years.

JJ is just doing one movie and then RJ and then CT. If something goes wrong at some point for Disney in box office (which is the most important to them) or some perception that is important to them then they can and will completely tell the people actually making the movies to change things up or replace them with people who can.

25. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    If some of you are looking for a connection between all 9 movies or worry about how the sequels will fit with originals and the prequels, well Kathleen Kennedy has confirmed an important element in the story of Star Wars in Cotsco Connection (some potential spoilers in this article of Costco):

"The Saga films focus on the Skywalker family saga"

"The stories follow a linear narrative that connects to the previous six films. The Force Awakens follows Return of the Jedi and continues that generational story."

- Kathleen Kennedy

Jo Lucas likes this.