main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will the Star Wars TV series be as bad as the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by BlueRivers123, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueRivers123

BlueRivers123 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2005
    At first I was elated upon hearing about the series. Then i remembered another spin-off series produced by (not sure about direction) none other than Lucas himself. Think this will be as bad?

2. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Young Indiana Jones was terrific. If Lucas isn't directing then it has a chance.

3. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Lucas directing could very well be a plus but I agree Young Indy was pretty good.

4. Sapno Krei

Sapno Krei Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 23, 1999
    Young Indy was great. It was not an adventure series however, and that's what turned TV audiences off.

Those of us who don't need our thrill buttons pushed every episode really appreciated what GL was trying to do. It had action, comedy, drama, and even some education.

That said, I hope the new STAR WARS series keeps a better balance of action and drama, if only to satisfy the audience enough to keep it on the air longer than two seasons!

5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Yea, but it can't be just story and no action. Star Wars will not have a prayer then. Talky talky only isn't the way.

6. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Young Indy was awesome.

I'll preserve my judgement on the series until i have seen where Lucas goes with Episode III.

- O_F

7. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I thought Young Indy suffered from having a different personality and spirit than the films. It's not surprising that many film fans didn't like the different direction the show took.

I'm hoping this SW show has a feel somewhere between the OT and PT.

8. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    It will only be bad if it is called, "Jar Jar's Big Adventures!!!"

9. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    George should have learned from his past Star Wars debaccle. "The Star Wars Holiday Special."
    To quote Han Solo...
    "I have a bad feeling about this."

Star Wars on the big screen is awesome, going to see it is an event, but if it is on the boob-tube it will lose its flavor.

I have a felling that it will be low effects show. The only way to make it right is to spend three years prefecting it like every theatrical Star Wars film has been.

Why tinker with the proven format?

10. FloridaFilmGuy

FloridaFilmGuy Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 1, 2000
    Yeah, Young Indy was awsome....

that's why we are still being thrilled by young Indy's educational adventures....

this week we meet Picasso... then, Winston Churchill, then... Truman... then, maybe Doc Brown can pick him up so he can meet Cleopatra.

It sucked. We wanted Indy with a whip, not a history textbook.

11. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    I think with young Indy, audiences just weren't interested in someone other than Hairson Ford playing Indiana Jones. They liked the adventure of the movies and the fact that is was rooted in mythology.

With the Star Wars series, it won't be someone else playing the movie characters on TV, not like a young Luke or something so I think it could do well. Clone Wars did well for Cartoon Network and that was TV.

Live action's different but Star Trek started out on TV and grew into a huge franchise (when its written well, its awsome like DS9) so Sci-Fi on a decent scale can work. I think it'll depend on what it features, and if it can even gets a decent chance and timeslot.

12. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

The "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" was a great show, and, at the time, was my favorite show on TV. It gave you a good perspective on the changing political climate in the early 1900's, and, to my knowledge, was the only American TV show ever to focus on World War I.

Also, though it didn't do well here in the US, it was very popular over in Europe.

So, if the new Star Wars series is even half as good as the YIJC, then it will be fantastic...

13. SithLord4488

SithLord4488 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    hopefully not

14. Arch_Clone_Trooper

Arch_Clone_Trooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    lucas doesnt knw how to do a tv show.... so i bet someone else will.... no doubt it will be better.... the indiana jones thing was without a general story line... this SW tv show has to fit the story already made

15. ___Obi-1___

___Obi-1___ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2004
    Huh...

What about a big no?

16. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    Yeah, Adventures of Young Indiana were OK, I don't know why sb may consider it bad.

17. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    Young Indy was fun at first, but I think the whole routine that Indy had to meet some major Historical figure in each episode got to be a little too much real quick.
    It was not a terrible show by any means, but not nearly as good as the movies, and the is why they failed. People tuned in expecting adventure and got a History Lesson instead. I have nothing against History in films but it very clumsily handled in Indy Jones.
    Some of it was clever...the Patton as a young Lt. in the pilot was great...and a fun way for Lucas to tip his hat to his buddy Francis Coppola who won his first oscar for the Screenplay for "Patton"..but it got real old real fast.
    Maybe Lucas learned some lessons from his previous failures in TV. And that "Young Indy" only lasted a year and half does make it a failure.

18. Bah_of_Bah

Bah_of_Bah Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    It's true, Youn Indiana Jones wasn't all that great. But, you have to ask yourself: Did anyone loose sleep over it?

If a Star Wars TV show either A) sucks or B) is cancelled people will frickin' die! Fear shall inspire them!

19. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Yeah I dont know what your talking about but the Young Indiana Jones shows were amazing like a full length film per episode

20. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    The Adventures of Young Han Solo!

21. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Will the STar Wars TV series be bad? Yes, most likely, sadly.

22. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Young Indiana Jones is far too underrated. But I do thinkn the Star Wars TV series will be better. But it all depends on who becomes showrunner.

23. sergejg

sergejg Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2002
    When the first trilogy ended every Star Wars show that came out was a disaster (droids, ewoks movies, ewoks tv cartoons). But this time I think that after all those failures along with dozens of other GL proyects that went wrong including Young Indy he is finally learing the lesson. A prove of it is that the Clone Wars cartoones where awesome! (of course it was done by a cartoon Guru not by GL himself)

I have like 50% faith in the new tv show and the other 50 is kind of leaning to disapointment. People have to accept that Young Indy was definatley not good. The problem with any Star Wars release in any format is that there are too much expectations to be fullfilled everytime something new is promised.

I hope GL test first the whole SW live action series little by little like they did with the Clone Wars before launching this huge titanic thing just because he's too optimitical about how great Episode III was.

24. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Like others have said - a large part of this is how involved Lucas is. CloneWars works very well, but of course it's a cartoon, and done is a very different style to live action.

Perhaps if Lucas hands the TV series over to someone else to produce/direction (how about the guy who does '24'?) then it could work. It needs to be simple and gripping to be successful (like 24 or CSI etc).

25. Sebas

Sebas Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2003
    100 one hour episodes is just nuts... That's A LOT of television.

I'd be more in favor of a ten epidode "Band of Brothers" movie-quality type miniseries. It could be terrific if Lucas doesn't write or direct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.