Will the success of the CW cartoon lead to a OT cartoon series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by hansoloschinscar, Nov 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hansoloschinscar Jedi Knight

star 1
    So far, I'm really enjoying the CW series and I hope it's popularity will lead to half hour or even hour episodes in the spring. Watching these series makes me think that it's possible for them to do an OT series. I've always wanted to see animated adventures that took place between the original movies. Or even post-Jedi adventures. Who wouldn't want to see the Thrawn Trilogy animated? My initial concern was getting the people to do the voices. But after watching the CW cartoon and hearing near perfect voice actors, It's not out of the realm of possibility to do the same for the OT cast. Or better yet, get some of the actual actors! Mark is already part of the Cartoon Network family with his roles in the DC heroes cartoons and Time Squad. And I'm sure it's not hard to convince Carrie, Billy Dee, Anthony, and yes, even Harrison to do it(his career's been on the slide to the point that he's going to be Indy again). But do you think that the CW 'toon may lead to an OT 'toon?
  2. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    his career's been on the slide to the point that he's going to be Indy again

How's that a slide? He's been doing some okay movies, but Indy will definently be better than some of them.

In any case, I hope not. This would turn into Star Trek quickly...
  3. GhostPoet Jedi Knight

star 1
    Don't need to use the old cast (except maybe cameos every now and then from Luke Skywalker)
    But otherwise...you could make a whole new cast. There are THOUSANDS of possiblities.
  4. DarthPalpidious Jedi Knight

star 1
    I personally would love an animated series to fill in the 20 year gap between Episode 3 and ANH.
  5. Darth_Tynaus Jedi Master

star 4
    I so agree, that would be really cool. The possiblilties are really endless.
  6. JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I would prefer another Clone Wars series.
  7. Mad_Jon Jedi Padawan

I'd like to see the post ROTJ adventures in toon format. Genndy showed he can do space combat and commando missions. The format would work great for the Rogue or Wraith squadron stories.
  8. Jedi-Colonel13 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ya. Just totally original stories from all over even, not just OT, PT, or ATORJ. For example- one week, we follow Anakin Skywalker during an adventure while being a slave or what not. Next week- Hoth soldier, escaping after the attack of the AT-ATs. week after- smuggler carrying something........
    you get the idea. That would keep it new, interesting, and appealing to all Star Wars fans.
  9. JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Jedi-Colonel12, I like that idea and I suggested it to Tartakovsky on the online chat, but he never answered it :(
  10. Darthsuggs Force Ghost

star 4
    I expect something of the sort of yes a variety SW cartoon just as Guff suggested.
  11. JediMasterSamurai Jedi Padawan

In any case, I hope not. This would turn into Star Trek quickly...

Think so? I don't agree...but it's a risk obviously... The CW series has been so dripping SW it's pure sweetness... I think with super nerds in charge...SW will never need be tainted... Jedi and lightsabers and kick up SW action will never be ST unless the WRONG people are in charge... Give it to super nerds and let em work with the right material...and there ya go... Pure SW goodness... I don't really like the idea of a LIVE TV show...that would be liable to turn into ST sooner I think...but animated? Nah...sounds TOTALLY awesome to me...

I'm not a huge fan of the animation STYLE that CW used...But Samurai Jack and CW are some of my favorite animated work ever... Why? Because it's not necessarily about the style...

A little personal dream of mine would be to see the team from "Batman: The Animated Series"(They did Superman too) do a full length SW show... Now THAT would be to die for... Not that it'll happen... But I can dream...
  12. Lumpawarrump Jedi Knight

star 1
    Eventually I think an OT cartoon series will be made. And if it takes the lead of Clone Wars, it would be a worthy addition to the SW universe.

After 3 comes out, it might be cool to revisit the end of the saga again. I think cartoons could pull off capturing the mood more easily than any liveaction series.
  13. Jedi-Colonel13 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thing is- actors. They quit. They strike. They don't do what you want them to. The emotion they portray isn't real enough. The delivery of lines is bad (like that ever happens in SW :p )If there ever was a SW Live Action show, these could all be potential problems. And I honestly would CRY if the SW Live Action TV show turned into one of those 9 am sunday morning shows... *shudders* just thinking of it brings me pain. HOWEVER- animation. You can do anything. It's cheaper *relatively*. You have complete control. You cannot overuse special effects or CGI because...well, it IS special effets *you know what I mean*. And if there was a Live SW show- you think ILM is gonna be able tp punch out Movie-Level Special effects weekly/monthly? No. And then they would have to resort to cheap crappy looking special efects like on those SciFi Originals (no offense to them, good channel). Possibly a mini-series, but IDK if a running live action show could work. Animated though we know can work.
  14. DarKnight Jedi Knight

star 2
    Success??

SUCCESS??!!??

BWAHAHAHAHHA!!

The Clone Wars Animated shorts amount to nothing more than thirty second commercials for Episode III. You have got to be kidding me that you think this series is a success.

BWWWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA <DK wipes tears from eyes due to laughter>

15. Mertroid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think it would be cool to have a series to show what happens between the prequel to the OT. We would know more, and it'd probably be awesome just as Clone Wars is! :D
  16. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I like the idea of an OT cartoon series. The Thrawn trilogy would be cool but I would not watch a cartoon NJO series shorts. Some of them would be too PG-13 or R rated (I forget to name but the book where Anakin died, some of the scenes in there were too grotesque to be on screen).

~aeryn
  17. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I would rather see quailty novels tell the story between Ep. 3 and ANH.

The Clone Wars seems like stylistically, a perfect time for a cartoon of this type. Lots of battles, Jedi kicking ass with ligtsabers, awesome space battles, etc.

The CW cartoon series seems to be filling a legitimate gap in the overall continuity. An OT cartoon would seem redundant and simply a means of cashing in on the SW name.
  18. JediMasterDylan Jedi Master

star 3
    Hamill probably GL could get, maybe Billie Dee Williams but no way for Fisher and Ford.

An OT series would be awesome, yes.
  19. riskbreaker-ign Jedi Knight

I would like to see Tartakovsky do something like Shadows of the Empire.
  20. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    Hamill probably GL could get, maybe Billie Dee Williams but no way for Fisher and Ford.

I don't think Carrie Fisher sounds the same anymore anyway.
  21. GhostPoet Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow...you really don't know tv do you? I can't believe you don't think it's a success.

Considering THIS show is going to determine if Lucasfilms makes a full series or not.

And you can bet Cartoon network got a major ratings boost during the time this show was displayed.

It's a success. A major one in the eyes of the execs.

There will be MUCH more to come for Star Wars on tv.
  22. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    The films are a success, but I bet they still stop making them after the next one (at least while George Lucas is alive).

In the end it is more the decision of Lucas himself than LFL. LFL can propose it, but GL can shut them down.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.