Will the trilogy ever be the same again?

Discussion in 'Chicago, IL' started by Fisting_Furbies, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAstuart Jedi Master

star 4
    telling a compelling story with memorable characters and unforgettable action set pieces, among other things, bridges these two trilogies together--something I'd argue (as I'm sure you could guess) Lucas has failed to convincingly do until ROTS.

sandwiching chewie into ROTS for what I still believe is NO GOOD, SOUND, WORTHY DRAMATIC REASON is yet another attempt to use the iconography of the OT to convince us that the PT is as good. It's marketing. He's selling us these movies in those moments.

Let me try an example. You wanna know one of my favorite prequel characters? Dexter Jettster. Cool concept, love the way he and Obi-Wan pal around like old buds, love the way it makes it seem like Obi-Wan has this vast, slightly sinister life outside of what we've seen in the films.

Imagine if instead of Dexter Jettster, Lucas had used the dude who Obi-Wan and Luke sold Luke's landspeeder to. Just to, in your way of thinking, set up why Obi-Wan and Luke chose to sell the landspeeder to that particular gentleman.

do you see how silly that seems? how it shrinks the universe? how it would exist for no reason other than reminding fans and others how the PT is just like the OT?

you got a citation on that buddy, or is this more rampant speculation? :D

...which, to my way of thinking, lessens the impact of the movie for the audience, which is the one entity lucas clearly hasn't given a s*** about in creating this new trilogy. so great, i'm glad lucas thinks he's got a better story because we get five mintues of a guy in a black suit in ROTS, but it lessens the greatness of that moment in ESB. BIG time.

more revisionist film history. thanks george!

this is the way things have always been, at least, once the OT was complete. i don't think we even needed the PT to make all this true, except actually seeing Anakin's fall, which does add some dramatic impact--but has NOTHING to do with the fact that we do or don't need to see the classic Vader suit in ROTS.

i don't really see this at all, but YMMV.

which I guess explains as well as anything those warehouses full of Jar Jar pez
  2. DrJawa Jedi Knight

star 3
    Being someone who really liked RotS I have to say that I do agree with DarthA on at least one point and that is Dexter Jettser. He was a great, interesting character who seemed larger and much more deeper than just what we saw on the screen. The way Obi-Wan acted around him which was much different then how he acted around almost everyone was else spoke volumes.

There are numerous new characters introduced in the prequel trilogy that I absolutely love but I felt there could've been many more had the same approach that was taken with Jettser have been taken with other minor characters.
  3. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, just look at this guy's posting history. Just trolling the JC to argue with anyone who is critical about ANYTHING in the prequels. In his view, the Star Wars movies are all perfect and anyone who scrutinizes them "just doesn't get it." Most of the other boards seem to just dismiss him as trying to jerk their chains.
    I mean, hey, I hate TPM and AotC as much as the next guy, and don't mind sharing my loathing, however, I respect the fact that Phyllis and others find something redeeming in them and enjoy them, even if I can't. I don't mind pointing out the things I think suck, and pointing out the places where things could have been improved as far as I'm concerned. At the same time I appreciate good debate on the subject of Star Wars and welcome a relevant dissection of pro's and cons. However, it's obvious that Go-Mer has no intention of having a meaningful debate, he just roams around sniffing out PT detractors to tell them how WRONG they are for having an opinion that differs from his, and when challenged for being closed-minded he just invalidates their opinion (in his mind) by saying that "they just don't get it."

Consider the APOLOGIST IGNORE BUTTON pushed.

Bosh
    "A closed-mind is a terrible thing to cut/paste"
  4. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I am not the one running away from debate here.

But since you guys have made up your minds about the prequels and me as a human being, I will leave you to enjoy your bad attitudes in peace.

I would just like to make a few clarifications.

1) I am not trying to tell people they are wrong.

2) I don't think the prequels are perfect.

3) I just don't expect them to be perfect.
  5. DarthAstuart Jedi Master

star 4
    i don't expect the prequels to be perfect either.

i did, however, expect them to be good.

i guess one (ROTS) out of three ain't bad.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.