main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will The TV Series Be Like Flash Gordon/Cliffhanger Serial's???

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by G-FETT, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    So, we know that Flash Gordon and other serials/cliffhangers were partly the inspiration for Star Wars, so with the upcoming live action TV series, I'm wondering if George will take that inspiration to another level and have every episode end on a cliffhanger and start with a reprise of how the previous episode ended?

I've read that the TV series will be darker and grittier than anything we've seen so far in the Star Wars movies, so, I'm not sure how the serial/cliffhanger ending and style would fit in with a much darker, moodier style?

Oh, and if this is redundant lock away and redirect. ;)

2. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    I don't think every episode will end in a cliffhanger but we'll just have to wait and see.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Cliff hangers get monotonous over time, but I'd take them any day over one of those endings where all the characters laugh joyously for no reason.

4. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Yeah the endong of Angel was far superior to than Buffy's for that reason, Barris.

5. NewWorldOrder

NewWorldOrder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2005
  6. TheWookiee

TheWookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 2005
    *cough* holiday special cartoon *cough* ;)

7. JediKink

JediKink Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2005
    This is only true if they are used improperly. A "good" cliffhanger, by definition, should leave you wanting to see what happens next.

To answer the original question, I don't think that would fit with the darker mood. The Cliffhanger leans more toward the melodrama. The darker side of the series means it will lean away from melodrama.

I guess we'll see.

8. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    You never know about George, he always has those homages to old serials and such. I wouldn't be surprised.

9. JSTAR71

JSTAR71 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    I read in the new sci fi channel magazine that the new series comes on this year is this just a misprint??

10. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    We have not even heard word that they have begun pre-production on the Live Action TV Series so I highly doubt the Live Action TV Series will becoming out this year. They have already begun pre-production on the Clone Wars 3D Animated Series but that is not expected to come out until Fall 2007.

11. Arotas_Starlight

Arotas_Starlight Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2005
    I think cliffhanger endings would be awesome. You guys have to remember that there is more than one way of doing a cliffhanger. There is 'the character left in peril' type of ending, then there is the 'big reveal and revelation of shocking information', then there is the 'the sky is falling and I can't stop it' type of ending. I think that episodic television is 10 times more exciting and interesting when there is one continuous story arc through the whole season. I guess it depends on the subject matter, but Star Wars would benefit from a format like this. What would get monotonous is if they used the Star Wars theme/scroll for the opening of every episode.

12. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Yes they should not use the opening crawl every episode maybe every season premiere and season finale or perhaps even less. We'll have to wait and see if cliffhanger endings are used for the Star Wars Live Action TV Series but whatever works good for the TV Series I'll probably be for it.

13. TheWookiee

Oct 8, 2005
    I would prefer it if they didn't use the opening crawl at all for the series. I feel that that should be reserved only for the feature films. BUT, if they must, I think that it should only be used once: when they set up the premise of the series with the first episode.

14. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Yes using the opening crawl only in the first episode of the TV Series is another option.

15. DaMovieMan

DaMovieMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2001
    If they want a successful "cliffhanger" type endings, they should honestly take their cue from LOST. That definently fine tuned the cliffhanger moments to keep the viewer wanting more when the credits roll.

16. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Yes I really like the cliffhanger endings of LOST.

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm glad theres some support for cliffhanger endings with the TV series, because I thought it was a kinda cool idea....

As has been said, there are lots of differant ways to end a show with a cliffhanger, not just the whole; car going over the cliff routine. In mean, in a way all Soap Operas end on cliffhangers don't they? And by that, I'm not talking about cliffhangers in the traditional sense, but rather choosing most most dramatic storyline to end with.

18. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I'd love to see cliffhanger endings and there could also be smaller cliffhangers within the show before commerical breaks. I wounldn't mind seeing the opening crawls used but not every episode. Maybe just three, one at the start, one halfway thru and one for the last episode of the season.

19. JW-Titus

JW-Titus Jedi Master star 2

May 21, 2004
    Actually, I'd be rather disappointed if they didn't end every episode of the t.v. series with a cliffhanger. That's very much what I want it to be, and what I think will make the series most successful.

My mind goes back to nearly every other sci-fi t.v. series we've had, and the problems (IMO) with them. 'Battlestar Galactica' had some 'Parts I-II' and even 'I-IV' episodes, but they were rare. For the most part every episode had a single MAIN conflict that was resolved by the end.

The same was true for both the original 'Star Trek' and 'The Next Generation' (once again with the few exceptions). Every episode had one MAIN conflict that was resolved by the end. This, IMO, gave the story a lot less urgency, and left the viewer with the belief that they could not watch numerous episodes in a season and not miss very much in the overall story. That is bad for the series.

For further evidence of why a single, overall plot (a single, driving storyline that would create episodic cliffhangers) is good for a story just look at the success of, and furvor surrounding, the 'Star Wars' films when compared to other film series such as 'Star Trek' or 'James Bond' or the like. With 'Star Trek' or "James Bond' you can, once again, miss an entire movie and not be lost in the overall storyline of the series of films. A plotline doesn't carry over into the other films (with a few exceptions).

But with 'Star Wars' all six films are part of the overall story. Each film furthers the story, making each and every one essential for fully understanding the whole thing. It makes the overall story much more powerful (if done correctly) when you can see it unfold over such time.

Not only does this formula of storytelling give the viewer a sense of dramatic impact, but it also gives the story as a whole cohesiveness--which viewers really like (even if they aren't consciously aware of it).

The greatest suggestion I could give for the 'Star Wars' t.v. series (I know, I know--who asked me? ;) ) would be to treat every season like one of the six films of the 'Star Wars' saga.
    i.e.-- have something important, something significant, happen throughout the season that causes a noticable change at the end--something that furthers the overall plot of the series.

Some might say spreading the story for each season out over 22-24 hour-long episodes would make for very slow storytelling, but I don't think so. You can have sub-plots for each different episode that are "resolved" at the end as long as those sub-plots are used to further the overall story arc. It's a HUGE galaxy. Lots of mysteries, puzzles and dangers to be had.

My worst fear for the series, though, is that it will go the same way 'Alias', and so many other "good" series', did. 'Alias' started out great as a series. There was a very interesting overall plot involving SD-6 and a man named Rambaldi (sp?). It took a little while, but after a few episodes you discovered that SD-6 and Rambaldi were intimately linked in the story, and nearly every episode's subplot served to further the overall story of the Rambaldi mystery. The mystery became more and more compelling with every episode, building on itself and leaving the viewer screaming for more! ...But then, in the 3rd or 4th season, they lost that focus and, therefore, the series lost its magic. The story became one of personal revenge and tragedy, and the overall plot involving Rambaldi was lost.

This cannot happen with a 'Star Wars' t.v. series! Just like the films, they should decide on an overall storyline and map it out BEFORE they even start the first season. They should stick with that storyline and end it--and the series as a whole--once it is finished. Once the conflict of the entire series is resolved they should end the series--no matter how well the series is doing!!

If they try to continue to ride on the tail of the success of the series without the core storyline it will become a joke, and the series will fizzle out into obscurity. Another 'Star Wars' series with a different storyl

20. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Well Lucas did say they are going to write all the episodes together at one time.

21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

22. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Yes I forgot to mention JW that your post was great.

23. TheWookiee

Oct 8, 2005
    Those are my feelings exactly, JW. =D=

24. JW-Titus

JW-Titus Jedi Master star 2

May 21, 2004
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone. [face_blush]

I thought I'd be made fun of for going on and on for so long. [face_laugh]

If you've ready any of my stuff here on these boards you'll know that I love the cliffhanger ending. I use it all the time (perhaps too often? ;) ).

I guess I just see the old serials that 'Star Wars' is based off of as too much fun to pass up using (in some ways) their style. I just hope those working on this t.v. series understand what they're doing and don't drag the name of 'Star Wars' through the mud. No offense to anyone, but I'd hate for 'Star Wars' to become a joke like 'Star Trek.' There's no fire--no danger, no urgency!--in that series. Hasn't been since 'Wrath of Kahn', IMO.

I guess I just hope they hire me on as a writer for the series so I can make certain they "get it right." :D [face_devil]

;)

25. JEDI-NEMO

JEDI-NEMO Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2004
    I'm with you 110% on the "cliffhanger" method, JW. It's been a while since I've stuck my head in here [watching the Prequal Trilogy over the weekend just for fun got me ol' Star Wars blood flowing again], but I recall very well your vivid imagination with your version of SITH. Without a doubt, the series could use your tuition for compelling drama and keen knowledge of Star Wars lore.

Lost, X-files (before seasons 8 & 9 slide), and obviously 24 use their ongoing story bridges very successfully - SW would benefit greatly from it. What Lucas and company may have mind may be, regretably, something more a encompassing setting to envite greater character possiblities. A sort of Galatic Rick's Cafe [what a horrible thought!][face_laugh].
    Who knows.

You bring up and interesting point: How is Lucas handling the show's teleplay? [face_thinking] The prementioned shows have their primary creator implement a story outline. A show like this has to be geared more on engrossing story lines, characters, and obviously plot. Lucas can no long rely on razzle and dazzle of big budget FX. I worry G.L. may NOT include the talent of screen writers, such as yourself, playtime in televisions/entertainment's most illustrious sandbox.

Be it Jedi or Jawa, I look foward to it. :-B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.