Amph Will there be any billion dollar movies in 2013?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Mar 19, 2013.

1. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    No.
    MrZAP and Sith-Lord-Gunray like this.
  2. Diggy Force Ghost

star 4
  3. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Maybe jp maybe.
    Darth Guy likes this.
  4. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    Yes it should.
  5. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Personally, I'm not mentally strong enough to stay away from Hobbit Episode 2, Attack of the Frame Rate. Once the trailer comes out, we'll all be gushing again about how magnificent the whole thing looks. Trailers work their magic even when we should know better. Except for the Incredible Burt Wonderstone trailers. They sort of worked in reverse, making me think the movie could not be as bad as the advertising was trying to make it look.

But it's interesting that 2012 had 4 $1 billion movies: Avengers, Skyfall, Dark Knight, and Hobbit. The most ever, despite 3 of those 4 movies being surprisingly mediocre, bordering on bad. Global audiences have even worse taste in movies than American audiences. Chinese box office growth seems to be playing a role in the ability of Hollywood studios to make a killing by feeding recycled landfill waste to paying moviegoers.
    Last edited by Jabbadabbado, Mar 20, 2013
  6. Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost

star 4
    That's the most reassuring thing I've read about China in 15 years.
  7. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    The next and very anticipated installment in a multibillion dollar franchise will not do well at the box office. Yeah, it can happen...
  8. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Everyone knows that M. Night's new movie After Earth will make so much money that it'll cause a New Great Depression.
    Darth_Invidious likes this.
  9. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Your post reads like the plot of a Shyamalan movie.
  10. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
  11. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    The good thing about Abrams ST is that it works as a sequel, prequel and reboot. So really it should work for and appeal to everyone.

Not everyone agrees.
    None of them were Michael Bay CGI noisefests
    Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Dark Knight Resurfaced was about as silly a movie as I've ever seen. Skyfall had one of the most pointless and bland Bond villains in decades and the Hobbit made a mess of a classic children's story by doubling down on all the things about it that were never good to begin with.

And the moneymaking secret of Avengers was that no single superhero was given enough screen time to be able to bore audiences the way Thor and Captain America and the other Hulk movies. It's hard to fail by playing directly to people's short attention spans.
    Last edited by Jabbadabbado, Mar 20, 2013
  13. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    People in ridiculous costumes are always going to be silly, just be thankful Batman wasn't wearing his pants on the outside.

I fail to see how a movie not being totally accurate to the source material makes it bad. It is not a copy, it is an interpretation and so long as it is done well it should be judged on its on merits as a movie not by how much it is like the thing it is based on.

And Javier Bardem is awesome, just sayin'
    Last edited by SithLordDarthRichie, Mar 20, 2013
    MrZAP likes this.
  14. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I don't have a problem with loose adaptations, as long as they offer up a compelling artistic vision. Judging Jackson's movie on its own merits: awful. I think it got a free ride on the coattails of goodwill left over from Lord of the Rings, which is entirely understandable. But as with Star Wars EP2, the middle Hobbit film has a higher chance of shedding fans.
  15. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Or that Nolan's Batman didn't have nipples on his Bat armor.
    SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I'm pretty pessimistic about his year's chances of having many profitable movies. Maybe G.I. Joe 2 will make all the moneys up in here yo?
  17. DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I'd put Ender's Game up as a potential dark horse here; I doubt it will, but if it's marketed well it might have a chance.
  18. Diggy Force Ghost

star 4
    There are two hopes of Enders topping a billion; no and bob.
  19. tom Chosen One

star 6
    if any film this year is going to break the billion mark it's this one!
  20. AAAAAH Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    starring adrian brodee!
  21. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7

?? Iron Man grossed $318,298,180, IM2 grossed $312,057,433 ..... so what are you talking about multibillion dollars?
  22. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Ender's Game isn't going to be a box office smash. People are already raising the decibel level on the complaints about Orson Scott Card's anti-gay politics, for good reason. The author of one of my favorite sci fi books is a complete tool IRL.
    Diggy likes this.
  23. Souderwan Force Ghost

star 6
    That's a rather...interesting way to view it. I think Avengers was successful because it was just plain fun. People like to have fun at the movies.

Not being fun is ok for Batman or Skyfall since brooding and boring is sort of central to the characters involved. But for the most part, people aren't going to pay to see the same movie more than once unless they had fun the first time (unless it's TPM, but that's a whole other psychological ordeal about denial and stuff). Superman will not break $500 million unless it ends up being way more fun than the previews imply. I doubt it, though.
    NYCitygurl likes this.
  24. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
  25. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    There's a part of me that really wants this new Superman re-boot to fail, and fail miserably, since Superman has always been my least favorite superhero character.