main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will there be more connections to the prequels in future episodes?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Keeper_of_Swords, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    While I enjoyed 'The Force Awakens' alot i couldn't help feeling that there were a lot of ideas recycled from 'A New Hope' and i am sure there are a lot of threads related to this. I suspect this is because people involved in the making of this movie wanted to steer away from anything 'prequel-related' because of the negative image mainstream media has created related to the prequels. They even did away with the word Sith for Episode 7.

I left the cinema appreciating the prequels more - Grevious, droids etc. Now i know that the new stories are about 30 years after the originals - so visually it makes sense that they are similar..i am talking about hunt-the-droid, deathstar/starkiller-strike similarities.

I do not agree with the argument of character-copy and paste from the originals - we never got to see a rebel-storm-trooper, force-sensitive lone scavenger, focus of a non force sensitive rebel-pilot in any other movie before.

Which brings me to the point - i hope there will be more connections to the prequels in future episodes - qui-gon force-ghost, coruscant, naboo...even a few gungans..it doesn't make sense not to see a gungan or two just because people don't like Jar-Jark Binks. Also i would like to see some geonosians.

2. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I certainly hope so.

3. Athiest_knight

Athiest_knight Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Actually I think we'll see clone troopers again moving forward. Or even droid armies for the bad guy. Since one stormtrooper had an issue with killing, I can't see why others wont feel the same as Finn.

4. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I hope so, for the sake of originality in the rest of the ST. And in 10 years time, we can look back at the complete saga and appreciate Ep 1 to 6 and EP 8 and 9, and realize that TFA will always be that nasty nightmare we all pretend never happend.

5. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Probably not.

Since Disney bought Lucas Film they have shifted the focus to the OT and ST era's (where their focus was on the PT era when George was in charge). I wouldn't expect that to change as the time line moves further away from the PT era.

6. Order 66

Order 66 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015

[​IMG]

7. Glor

Glor Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2015
    You can claim it's because of mainstream media, but when a large following view a production and find it unsatisfactory, the general consensus will be that it is not very good. So Disney's eagerness to steer away from something widely considered sub-par is understandable.

As for your question, I don't think we'll be seeing any references to the Prequels as far as planets go. Maybe old battle droids, Clones or even a Qui-gon ghost will crop up, but it's unlikely. There's not much of a reason to go back to those planets and it would feel so hamfisted, stuck in there for no other reason than to say, "Hey, look, you remember this planet from the Prequels?! Yeah, well we're here again!"

We've been there before, take us somewhere new. Or at the very least change the name of the planet, like Jakku.

Wait, kind of off topic, but Clones have a limited life-span, don't they?

Avnar and Dra--- like this.
  8. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    Coruscant was once the center of the galaxy, with the former Jedi Temple as well as Sith temple beneath it still there, so there definitely may be a reason to go back there.

However, I can't see a need to revisit Naboo or Geonosis.

Shaak Ti and morrison85 like this.
  9. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I hope not.

Avnar and Dra--- like this.
  10. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    No, apart from some references in the script, I don't see why. The prequels are the history of the decline and fall of Vader and the Republic. That's just history in the ST. It should look and feel like the world that follows from the OT world.

Artoo-Dion and Dra--- like this.
  11. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    There might be a few more visual references like the podrace flags in TFA--like a battle droid showing up in a junkyard or someplace--but don't expect anything overt.

I do hope that Rian Johnson focuses on taking things to new places--I enjoy TFA, despite it's overall deference to the OT, and it leaves many directions to go from. Let's not obsess over the OT or PT, and just now let the ST be it's own thing, now that the new film has bought Star Wars back to the general public.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  12. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    Minor references only.

And despite ultra-PT fanboys wishes for it to be otherwise. Disney aren't going to push aside something that was very well received by the general public (and non Star Wars nerds) for something that was not.

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    TFA felt very disconnected from the OT to me. There's no OT planets, no OT species, we're given a very vague origin for the First Order, and Yoda and Sheev aren't even mentioned!

StoneRiver and Shaak Ti like this.
  14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

LOL! I wouldn't go that far. TFA has quite a lot going for it and Solo's death will always be a defining moment so, if for nothing else, TFA has earned its place in the Saga...

But yeah, hopefully Episode VIII will feel more connected to the whole Saga and will be a more original work.

If Disney tried to "rehash" another movie I think they would get panned to be honest. All the reviews for TFA mention the "rehash" issue but they got away with it anyway... This time... I don't think they'd get away with it again....

Shaak Ti, darklordoftech and Glor like this.
  15. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    A few references here and there. Coruscant definitely should be revisited. But besides that I want them to move forward instead of backwards to the OT and PT alike.

jaqen, Shaak Ti and G-FETT like this.
  16. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Exactly, and reviews like these are the reasons why my faith in humanity is being lost: "The Associated Press called it "basically the same" as the original film, but "isn't that what we all wanted anyway?"
    There are many people who acknowledgement the fact that TFA is not as good as it deserves, but they still give it full points. Hypocritic much?

You are right on rehash part for Episode VIII though. Unfortunately, as much as I like Rian Johnsons work, I have a bad feeling about Disney when it comes to rehashing ESB.

17. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The simple answer is "If it works. If it interests Rian and his scriptwriter."
    TFA had to grab the audience back. It had to remind people of the movies they fondly remembered. But that's done now.

jaqen likes this.
  18. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015

Well at least we get Yoda's voice in the vision sequence. And did they not mention the Emperor? Or just the Empire? I'm sure he will be at least mentioned at some point.

Dra--- likes this.
  19. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    TFA mentioned the Sith actually.

And TFA already has major references to the PT -- Darth Vader.

I don't see the need for anything else.

TX-20, SkywalkerOG and thejeditraitor like this.
  20. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Mon Calimari, Sullustans and Wookies are not OT species?

Eternal_Jedi, TX-20, jaqen and 4 others like this.
  21. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    More Coruscant = rehash.

I guess rehash is just fine if it comes from the PT. Ah, inconsistency.

22. TheReal_Rebel

TheReal_Rebel Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2015
    Disney's Star Wars Rebels constantly references the Prequels through Kannan and a leak to @Hitfix says,
    Geonosis, where we see the Death Star plans for the first time, will be appearing in Rogue One

From what I can tell, all the hate for the prequels is split along generational lines.

Kids who grew up watching the prequel films, the animated Clone Wars and Rebels (which are part of Canon), have a different view than those who grew up with only the OT.

Generally speaking, that is the generation that has the most vitriol for the prequels. Everyone else, older and younger go "meh" or like parts of them or some of them.

Disney is not slamming the door on the prequels, just being judicious about how they reference them. They also want to keep the pacing that has made TFA so financially successful.

23. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    Not really. Many, like me think it was extremely uninspiring lazy film making to re-do Deathstar 3.0. but ultimately a fun, character driven film with good humor. For us, the positive outweighs the negative because its sets the franchise off again in a good place with likeable, well acted characters we care about. I gave it 7.5 and placed it 4th on my favorite list.

The re-hash thing is also pretty lazy bandwagon jumping too to be honest. It stands on its own for me whilst following similar beats as ANH. I sure don't remember Luke handing Luke his lightsaber at the end of ANH.

Artoo-Dion , KDC1972 and JediLight like this.
  24. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

Or a son killing his father.
    Or a random force-user girl playing the hero.
    Or a stormtrooper deserter playing in a signficant role
    Or the holy grail being searched out by both parties.

We get it. It had a desert planet and something that was bigger than the Death Star. But it had actually more an interesting storyline for Rey than Luke at his farm.

ANH was awesome.

And so is TFA

25. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    lol apreciate episode 1? theres just one redeemable factor in there- the pod race. for get the PT but TFA was great.