main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will there be more connections to the prequels in future episodes?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Keeper_of_Swords, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    That's nice. You still haven't shown me where "JJ fully admits that everything in TFA was fueled to please fans from start to finish". Feel free to get back to me when you find some proper evidence of what you claim to be fact though.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  2. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Yes. It is the same universe, whether it is sixty, eighty, a thousand years after them, it is the same universe. Same planets, same species, heck its even possible some of the same characters could be alive.

I want the ST to have its own feel. I don't want them shoehorning elements fro the prequels any more then I wanted them doing so with the OT. But it is still the same universe. I want a different plot, but it needs to be recognizable as the same universe.

Baron_Papanerd and vncredleader like this.
  3. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    According to Pablo, it seems that there will be PT references in future films:

Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo
    Both original and prequel trilogies have about the same affinity in North America. Different per demos. Prequels more so internationally.

LeNelsonMandelaFace
    Aug 2
    LeNelsonMandelaFace ‏@Goatstein
    @pablohidalgo if this is true then why did your parent company basically pretend they don't exist in all their releases moving forward

Pablo Hidalgo
    23h
    Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo
    @Goatstein You're seeing something I'm not seeing. Especially in Rebels and Rogue One. And more stuff, as you say, moving forward.

LeNelsonMandelaFace
    7h
    LeNelsonMandelaFace ‏@Goatstein
    @pablohidalgo a few cartoon characters who never appeared in the films: your evidence of Disney's belief in the prequels' marketability

Pablo Hidalgo
    Pablo Hidalgo – ‏@pablohidalgo

@Goatstein No, there's more to it. Let's talk in December.
    8:09 am - 3 Aug 2016
    2 LIKES.

4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Hmmm? I wonder what that last post means.

5. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I assume he means that there's a PT reference in Rogue One that we don't know about yet.

Satipo likes this.
  6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I know I am just wondering how big those references would be. i doubt we will see another TCW character but we might get a name drop. Then again there was that Hondo rumor.

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  7. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    He's probably referring to having the same actress for mon mothma from ROTS, as well as (hopefully) jimmy smits as bail organa again.

Could be something else though who knows. Showing Coruscant briefly perhaps, maybe for a senate scene? Maybe the rebels having some old clone wars tech at a base?

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  8. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016
    Hopefully not too many, some of them could be used if they are important to the story. Let it be its own story without too many flash backs.

9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Well, we do have returning actors for Mon Mothma and Bail Organa like has been said. I wouldn't be surprised if prominent Jedi like Mace Windu were name dropped by someone like Chirrut. Maybe it'll be made clear hat K2SO is descended from battle droids? Maybe the Geonosians will be referenced. We do know there are flashbacks to Jyn's childhood, which pushes us closer in proximity to the PT-era. I wouldn't be surprised if we briefly saw Coruscant, either. And the Han film will likely be set smack dab in the midpoint between RotS and ANH, so I think it might be likely to see some PT stuff there, too.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe the person in the Bacta tank is Mace Windu?!

11. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes. They breed him inside there to turn him to Snoke finally

starocean90 likes this.
  12. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Mace windu = Snoke.
    Still not the weirdest Snoke theory I've read.

13. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Snoke is the Handclone !

14. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

Can fans get any more annoying? I admire Hidalgo's patience.

Dra---, Zikri, Qui-Riv-Brid and 3 others like this.
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    [face_rofl]

Sorry but I didn't see this earlier as I think the answer was far more than sufficient.

I didn't realize that I was going to have to prove anything in a court and since I am correct and this isn't one...

Still I think for some reason something that I saw in one of many articles too numerous to bother counting is bothering you for some reason.

As Lucas said Disney wanted to do something "for the fans" and JJ was hired because he wanted to follow that ethic.

Wherever that particular article I read is I don't know and for some reason my interpretation of it throws you off (despite the actual important "evidence" of the movie itself).

Here is something along the same lines he referred to:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/j-j-abrams-t...&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

“The very first discussions we had were about feeling,” Abrams told io9 last weekend. “What did we want to feel in this film? What did we want the audience to experience and feel? I know that sounds so stupid and obvious, but it was the most important thing to me. The absolute fundamental ‘What do we want the experience to feel like?’”

The team settled on a huge mix of things: exhilaration, thrills, heartbreak, joy, fear and spirituality, to name a few. And that lead them to the next step.

“Why are we telling the story at all? If we wanna feel that way, how do we do it? Who are these new characters? ‘Cause this had to be a new story about new people. And that was all gonna be about trying to serve that feeling,” he said.

“That is kind of what this entire experience has been at every level,” adds Abrams: “Going backwards to go forwards.”

As I said already as the film-maker he was in the same position as Lucas (outside of not being the creator and not fully in charge) in that he wanted to make a film that first and foremost pleased himself. Now unlike Lucas he gave extra thought to the audience based on what had come before in a way that the forward looking Lucas didn't. Lucas was about doing new things and not about the more overt replication that JJ indulged in.

The thing is that the "PT" era is as I have said all over Star Wars be it the OT, the new movies, animated series, the books, comics etc etc.

Why? Because it's all SW and the PT is embedded in the very fabric since it is the beginning of the story. Everything has it's root start their because it all grows out of the first story trilogy.

From the cinematic view the movies are clearly a hybrid mix of the PT and OT. There is simply no other way that they can be done. No one is going to actually make any of the new movies actually look like an actual OT ones. Movies simply are not made that way because all the things that simply couldn't be done back then (which is why they look that way) can be done now.

Vader in Rogue One will do things that were impossible to do in the OT but not in the PT. Yet Vader will still be fit into something that resembles the basic lines of the OT style. The same goes for shot after shot in the movie itself.

Rogue One if anything seems it's going to be akin to the storytelling that we see in both TCW and Rebels. I know that for some people that the PT cuts off at the closing of ROTS somehow or other.

Zikri likes this.
  16. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    Fair play fella, you make total sense. Looking back at that post I'm not even entirely sure why I wrote it. Think it was the "from start to finish" bit that got me, but it doesn't really matter now

Zikri likes this.
  17. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    still feel like the main prequel references will be revolved around Anakin Skywalker (Rise and Fall/Chosen One etc.) and his lightsaber that passed down to Luke and now Rey. If Anakin pops up as a force ghost than canonically it's Hayden, so that could be another one.

LOL those Pablo tweets proves what I've always believed that people who hate/dislike the PT are a small but vocal bunch that are mostly online and the media.:p

Zikri likes this.
  18. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I'm actually surprised they let Maz mention the Sith. But I guess since she's been around during and before the prequel trilogy. They could continue to let a lot of the references come from her.

starocean90 likes this.
  19. Zikri

Zikri Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2012
    Sith is not a PT reference. There's even old trading cards from the early 80s calling Vader, a sith. Even as a little kid we all knew Palpatine & Vader were Sith.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

starocean90 likes this.
  20. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Oh, I know. But they weren't mentioned in the films until the PT.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  21. Zikri

Zikri Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah, but it's still not a PT reference since it didn't come from the PT.

22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
  23. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    The point still stands that the popular misconception is that the term sith came from the prequels, and if JJ/Lucasfilm/Disney were "pandering to the fans" and didn't want people to think they were referencing the PT, they certainly wouldn't put in a reference that the average person would think is a PT reference.

24. Zikri

Zikri Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2012
    No, I understand the point you're making. What I'm saying is that I think that misconception is more in the fan community than the average person. I've only really seen people call "sith" a PT reference online, and mainly from people who were very critical of the PT who were also fairly dedicated fans.

I mean, I never even knew there were people who thought that until I started posting here. IRL I've never heard someone say that.

I agree though that they aren't/weren't ignoring the PT though. That's a stupid idea and it's one Pablo has directly denied. Why the **** would JJ bring in Ewan to do lines if he was ignoring the PT? I do think Ep7 was built around nostalgia, but it certainly wasn't designed to ignore the PT either.

I do wonder why they removed the podracing flags from the final cut of the film, though.

25. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe because someone in the Lucas team was extremely in love with fancy details that have absolutely no relevance to the story (this time) and further maybe to avoid spreading even more links to whatever which create another 4.5 billion forum pages and threads of fancy theories - Lucasfilm decided to remove some of these links. (...like the sword in the hand of Kylo in the flashback)
    Another possibility is that those fancy links were part of the story plot and after a rewriting where those plot lines went obsolete they decided to remove the hints as well

Dra--- and Zikri like this.