main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will there be pressure/expectation to make Episode X-XII right after IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dolphin, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Do you think the fan-base and/or corporate interests will pressure Disney/LFL to get started right away with another trilogy after this one concludes?

I find it hard to imagine Disney restraining itself. Not in this day and age. There's too much financial pressure AND the "I want it now!" culture will force a much shorter gap than the 10 year separation between Episode III (2005) and VII (2015). We see that happening nowadays with every single successful franchise. I anticipate a few years before serious discussions start over continuing the Saga (no matter how Episode IX ends).

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This doesn't seem too related to the Spin-offs... it's more related to the ST, so I've moved it to the E7 SA forum.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  3. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    I bet they let the spinoffs & the TV shows play out...

And then they start everything all the way over in like, 2025.

4. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Since each trilogy focuses on a new generation, it will be interesting to see how long they wait if they do make a second sequel trilogy. Make them fairly soon after and "age up" the cast? Recast? I would say explore the spinoffs until the ST cast is old enough to pass the torch.

5. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Yes, I agree that it will depend on how well VII, VIII and IX do. If they are huge critical and commercial successes, with each one grossing more than the last, I could see them going into another trilogy pretty quickly - mid 2020s. But if it's a repeat of the prequel situation, they may want to wait a few more years before kick-starting it again. And even if they don't want to go right into another trilogy, I could see them doing spin-offs ad nauseam since there is absolutely no limit to the topics those could cover.

How did they do it with Marvel? I know they had Phase 1 and are on Phase 2 now (I believe), but was Phase 2 dependent on the success of Phase 1?

Dak Oolron likes this.
  6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    If the ST is a big money maker you can bet your bottom dollar there'll be another trilogy. It could be set in a different era of the GFFA, or it may well be the 'further adventures of so and so' from the ST. Disney will base that decision on the general feedback on who audiences most connected to out of the new cast.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  7. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Coincidentally, this article at the WSJ was just posted:

"Unlike typical studios, where it's rare for more than 30% of film releases to become hits, the new Lucasfilm needs to succeed with most everything it does or risk souring fans on Disney's $4 billion bet.
    "There is pressure because it's 'Star Wars' and all 'Star Wars' needs to be fantastic," Ms. Hart said in her first interview since joining the company two years ago. The biggest challenge, she said at Lucasfilm's San Francisco offices, is that while most movies and TV shows are creatively assembled first and then sold to a studio, "Star Wars" overseers have developed a release plan spanning years and now need movies, TV shows and other material to fill each slot."

To me, that makes it sound like there will be more after the announced 3 movies and 3 spin-offs.

Dak Oolron, EviL_eLF and starocean90 like this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If there is an Episode X or above, I hope that they draw out the events of the treatments rather than tacking something onto the Saga. I don't want things tacked on to the Saga.

Darkslayer likes this.
  9. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I want the next trilogy to be set thousands of years in the past. Maybe have it focus on the creation of the Sith. Then after that do eps X-XII.

10. andresfelix

andresfelix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2014
    Disney is gonna milk the living hell out of Star Wars

11. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    They'll be a break period. They might try to start up that live action project back up again, though with Disney it's hard to say...

Anyways, I think that we'll see a period roughly the same as between Episode 3 and Episode 7 before we return to the universe. It's hard to say what could happen between that time, so it's hard to say. But I still want the story to be contained. Lucas planned 9 movies and 3 spinoffs, and 9 movies and 3 spinoffs (Though probably different ideas for spinoffs) are what we're getting.

12. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I don't think that we need another trilogy in this saga. They need to go in an entirely new direction.

[​IMG]

As much as I love Luke, Han and Leia, I don't want to follow them and/or their children for another decade or better. There are so many ways that they could go to give us something new.

13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I agree. I'm really looking forward to this (the ST) But if a future trilogy's made that is a direct continuation of the ST? It'll start to be like butter spread too thinly over a piece of bread.

14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Probably depends on what the mass audience really responds to. I assume they will immediately continue on with the new generation, unless something unexpected happens and we see a spinoff being way better received than the ST. Really, though, I'm skeptical of buying into any "Saga" distinction from here on out. Disney said they want a film a year, and once the big three step aside for good and we're into territory that is entirely free of Lucas involvement, it seems silly to me to position one aspect as the "main story."

Bail B. Baobab and TheBBP like this.
  15. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Well I imagine it would depend on Box Office/Popular demand. If the sequels just do ok (like not bad but not in like the top 20 world wide box office) then Disney might wait a while to do another trilogy. Now do I think they will make a sequel-sequel trilogy? Of coarse. It just probably wont be about Skywalkers.

TheBBP likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    NO!!!! Then we'll never get TRON 3:(:_|

Artoo-Dion and plaidphoenix like this.
  17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Episode 10 will probably kick off in 2022 , 3 years after EP 9 ...........

18. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    I've always assumed there will be a fourth trilogy with episodes X - XII unless the ST is a big flop. Marvel didn't stop using Iron Man, Captain America and Thor after The Avengers - instead, they've gone on a "phase two" of movie releases for these characters that will culminate with The Avengers 2. I believe Lucasfilm will follow the same road - having gone to the trouble (and presumably succeeding) of building up and popularizing the next generation of heroes in the ST, I see no reason why they wouldn't continue using those heroes for years thereafter.

The movie trilogies are IMO the core of Star Wars storytelling, and I expect they'll remain the most popular and profitable products in the franchise - not just in terms of box office revenue, but also of associated merchandise. With Disney out to maximize its profits after paying 4 billion for Lucasfilm, I think it's only natural that soon after the ST they'll want to craft another core trilogy, one featuring the now-established characters of the ST.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  19. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    In my opinion, spin offs are a bad idea. I would rather see Episodes XI to however many than a bunch of one shot spinoffs based on characters I really don't care to see outside of the important stories, which are the trilogies. But if I were to pick, movie trilogies based on all eras is what I think they should focus on, anyway. If the EU had done one thing right, it's create stories that took place in the past, present and future — that you can't take away from them.

darthmomm likes this.
  20. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    There is a trend growing now of studios announcing release dates for their franchises years in advance.

We know the Marvel slate going out to 2022
    We know the DC Comics/Justice League schedule going out to about 2020
    We know the Terminator trilogy slate going out to 2018
    We know the Avatar release schedule going out to 2019 (for now)
    We know that there will be a Fantastic Four sequel sometimes in 2017ish (first one is in 2015)
    Same with Pixar movies
    Same with X-Men franchise

The Star Wars schedule is known to about 2021 based on Iger's comments last year. I wouldn't be surprised if a sequel trilogy is announced before Episode IX comes out.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Me, too.

What we know publicly is that, as things currently stand, the plan is for the release of the Episodes of the ST, alternating with three standalone pictures. Along with this, we will have television properties playing concurrently (whether it be Rebels, alone, or - hopefully - something like a live action series in a few years, as well), not to mention the various novels, comics, video games and the like.

Now, when it comes to the next big series of SW feature films following the completion of Episodes 7, 8 and 9? To me, this is the easiest call in the world for Disney/Lucasfilm to make. Right on the heels of the release of Episode IX, I'd love for there to be a public announcement of the next trilogy -- this time, one with a story centered on The Old Republic.

With the decision to de-canonize so much of the history of the Star Wars galaxy, the entire era is now such rich, fertile ground for a filmmaker to be able to explore. And commercially speaking, it's been demonstrated that this is a story many, many SW fans are pining to see told. Each of the various video games, comics and novels set in the ancient SW past have all been hits with the fan base, and whether you incorporate fan-favorite characters like Revan, Darth Bane, Exar Kun, etc. (something I'd like to see happen), or simply start with a completely clean slate, delving into the ancient history of the Old Republic, the Jedi and the Sith, along with major third-party factions like the Mandalorians, to me, has Star Wars success written all over it.

Personally, without knowing anything of the outcome of the story of the ST, I don't know that I even find myself all that interested in the idea of an SST right now. But if there ever will be an Episode 10-12 series of films, I look for them to come some fifteen or so years following Episode IX. This offers room enough to tell an Old Republic story in the interim, as well as ample time for the young actors from the ST to later revisit their roles from a fresh perspective.

To me, it's a case of win/win.

Rabs likes this.
  22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    The events that took place a thousand years before TPM is what the new trilogy should focus on. Like Lucas did with the Clone Wars name drop in ANH, the first Sith Empire's rule during that period in the past is not only fresh territory but it's something that was mentioned in the PT, which makes it canon. But if they do, then they would have to re-title this saga as Chronicle or Chapter I, though. Not that it matters, really.

23. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    In the long run, I expect Disney to give us a mix of:

1) new episodic trilogies with various amounts of breaks in between (each generation having more than one trilogy as leads, like if the OT cast had done a 2nd trilogy in the 90s)
    2) other trilogies taking place in the distant past and future and
    3) various standalones.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If they start two years after the end of the ST, and it keeps the generational saga theme going, they would have to recast the Ep. 7 actors. Let's start the "Michelle Pfeiffer to play Daisy Riley's character in Episode X" right now. "Lawerence Fishburne for John Boyega's character" too.

25. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    7-9 should be the last of the saga, but have separate trilogies with new stories and characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.