main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will there be pressure/expectation to make Episode X-XII right after IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dolphin, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    KOTOR directed by Joss Whedon, a thousand years before The Phantom Menace.

mratm23 and TheBBP like this.
  2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

I'd take Jon Favreau. The guy is a good director and huge fan.

mratm23 and D.A. McCoy like this.
  3. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    A Favreau-directed Star Wars film would be fantastic, especially if it had a script that was more character-based.

TheBBP likes this.
  4. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    There will be no X-XII. I-IX are all George Lucas story treatments based on the Skywalker family story arc.

Time for the spinoffs. Bring on Boba Fett. Obi Wan. Tarkin. Kashyyyk. Dare I say Thrawn?? And yes- I can totally see the franchise continuing to make movies based on Ridley & Boyega's characters, but those should be spinoffs as well. The "episodes" are George's thing. Let's leave it that way.

5. D.A. McCoy

Mar 6, 2014
    I see where you're coming from, and I actually feel that as well, but I doubt Disney just won't make another episode after IX. They make too much money for more not to be made eventually.

6. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

I don't understand why Disney has to make more "Episodes." Why would they limit themselves to the Skywalker story? Let them make 120 more Star Wars movies about something else in the galaxy.

Three trilogies of three. /of Episodes.

7. D.A. McCoy

Mar 6, 2014

I totally agree with you, but that's because we're fans of the thing that put more emphasis on the thematic aspects than the financial aspects. The people above Lucasfilm who plan out these releases probably don't care too much about the plot or the thematic structure of the thing, but do care very much for the financial aspects.

We know that Star Wars makes tons of money at the box office, but I don't believe the spin-off films are going to make the same amount of money as the "main event" will. Even as a hardcore Star Wars fan, I'll probably wait and see the spin-offs on DVD/Netflix, just because they aren't the main attraction. I think it will be similar to the Marvel stuff: The hardcore fans will go see it all, but a lot of people I know who really liked The Avengers haven't gone to see any of the "phase II" films in theaters. They'll catch up with them on DVD or something when Avengers 2 comes out. So unless the spin-off films are suddenly pulling in the same numbers as the main films, I think Disney is going to want to keep the series going.

If Disney puts Star Wars on the same release frequency as Marvel, people are going to get burnt out on the spin-offs and are going to stop going to them. Tons of people will still be watching them, but I don't believe it will be nearly as many as those who would go see a main Star Wars film. So I think for sure Disney is going to release more of them. Am I happy about that? Subjectively, not really, because it makes me worry about story integrity when you're stretching something out like that (although I've talked about how each new trilogy is really just as much if not more for the next generation than it is for us, so we're always going to feel that way). Am I worried about where the franchise will go after IX, and if it will lose is sense of "specialness" with frequent spin-off releases? Definitely. But I also know that if I was the head of Disney those concerns would be nothing compared to the amount of money I could make off of more episodes.

8. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    $$$ talks bull**** walks... if EPVII makes LOTR $$ + inflation money I'm sure BEFORE Ep 8 even hits we'll start seeing people getting linked to pen the scripts

Mod edit: Language

9. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    They will continue on with Star Wars, but not necessarily these characters. The Avengers is rumored to receive a huge shakeup to it's roster of heroes. I would expect the same thing out of the next trilogy unless the Boyega/Ridley/whoever else saga has a need to keep going.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Language warning.

11. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Depending on how this trilogy pans out, i would not object to a continuation of the story of the "adventures of luke skywalker" and letting the episode numbers continue.

But if a new saga starts i would prefer they re number it. I dont care if they start with Episode 4 or 7 or 1 first if they want to take that approach - I wonder how you could go about calling two different sagas that have 9 episodes each.

Example: Star Wars Episode 4 A New Hope (the original)
    Star Wars2 Episode 4 A New Saga(just add a 2 to star wars, then a 3 et cetera)
    StarWars Knights of the Republic:A New Saga(add a new sentence to Star Wars+Episode name= looong title)
    SAME FONT Episode 4 A New Saga(dont call it star wars, call it something else with same font and start numbers over again)
    Star Wars Episode 15 Knights of the Old Republic(keep running numbers to infiniti - which would bury some sagas and who wants to start number 1 out 99 with TPM?)

How would you address the numeration if episode 10 did NOT feature the OT class?

12. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    Need to take a break. The spinoffs might ruin any chance of any more Star Wars movies. Too much.

13. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I would bet money that they make Episodes X-XII years and years from now. Why? For the same reason WE wanted a sequel to Return of the Jedi. Once the actors get older and the trilogy is 7-10 years from the last movie, they will come back to make more. You really think this sequel trilogy is a one time thing? Hahaha, ok.

This business is about making money...oh and toys, and merchandising, and etc.

Who knows, maybe George Lucas' son Jett will direct them...you never know.

14. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    It's easier to just use the next number in the episodic series than to separate them by saga.

15. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    It depends on whether or not Luke has a kid. If he does not, the Skywalker name will die with the Solo child (if there is one). If there are no Skywalker/Solo progeny, there will be no more 'Skywalker Saga'

16. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    Will there be money to be made? Then yes.

17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think there will be intense pressure if, and only if, they either end Episode IX, which I'm presuming to be Lucas' actual intended ending for the saga, on an unsatisfactory note, and if the stand-alone films do poorly/aren't good. Even if we get the most amazing ever with Episode IX, and even if the stand-alone films end up being the greatest thing to ever happen to Star Wars, there will be those clamoring for an Episode X, and those fully expecting it. And maybe, after some time, they'll even make it. But if the response to the saga's conclusion is positive, and the stand-alone films are successful, I think they'll feel comfortable exploring material outside of numbered episodic films. Who knows, one of the stand-alones could result in its own trilogy. There's already rumors of a full Kenobi trilogy, and I'd love to see something that fully explores the Knights of the Old Republic era in a completely new way. Regardless, I don't think Disney/Lucasfilm will immediately put Episode X into production, even if it's the only viable route for continuing Star Wars on film. If the stand-alone films fail, they'll still contribute to there being just as many Star Wars films in six years, as we had previously gotten between 1977-2015. They might want to leave it alone for a decade or so to build up a stronger desire for the product.

18. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    I don't think they stop making them until they start flopping at the box office. I doubt they break at all after this trilogy, and really it may not even make sense to think of this new batch in terms of a trilogy at all. Star Wars no longer depends on George Lucas's schedule and doesn't need to depend on certain actors in the long term.

Make good movies and people won't burn out. After all they made 8 Harry Potter films in 11 years, and they had no problem filling theaters.

19. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
  20. Thomas Solo

Thomas Solo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2012

I don't know really. I don't look at Disney as a villain like many do. I mean if I had a hot property, I'd be pimpin' that stuff early and often. I think it only makes sense to have the movies follow a flow and all relate to each other. Every indication is that they are doing that especially after jettisoning the EU which was the right move, like it or not.

Personally, I'd rather have the 'saga', as it were, be continued rather than having to restart each time out. I guess I'm a bro that likes the product as a whole rather than a bunch of splintered tales that just happen to feature stars, and wars, and laser swords.

21. Thomas Solo

Thomas Solo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2012

Buddha, Buddha, Buddha......we're like....yeah.....of like mind. I thinks where I object to a degree is in the negative spin put on Disney about homies being out to make coin. Let's say tomorrow I was given the rights to Star Wars. Brah, I'd be on the corner selling Star Wars branded meth if it would score me some bread. Put it this way, when I've been given a raise or some opportunity to make bank, I've always cashed in.

I think Marveldisney is striking the right chord though. I know some dudes in these forums for some unknown reason don't see eye to eye with the success of Marvel and try to compare it to the GFFA, but they are different things.

If Star Wars is handled only 'as good as' the Marvel property, I'll be doing cartwheels. Really. I can do them, and I'd do one. A cartwheel. I'd do a cartwheel if Star Wars is handled as good as Marvel films.....let it go.

22. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    So many here like to see Disney as a money hungry machine that is willing to cash every living penny out of Star Wars, including an Episode 10-12.

I'm willing to bet that won't happen.

One reason for it has probably nothing to do with Star Wars, but more related to the soon-to-be inevitable implosion of the superhero genre. Once that happens, they'll be forced to rethink their model and do something else.

Another is that I seriously doubt George came up with treatments for Episode 10 forward, and I would like to think that Disney is smarter than creating more movies out of a saga that will only dilute and eventually ruin it if they decide to continue. More money at the end of the day doesn't pay off if their isn't a story, and it's not sustainable in the long term. (Which is the reason why the Toy Story films have been so spaced out).

On another merit, I don't think it's necessary to continue the "Episodic saga" When you could make trilogies set in the Old Republic and various films with minor characters and so forth. Then it could really go on without end without messing up the main story.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

Yeah, probably to the point where they start bringing mainstream Hollywood stars like Marvel has (i.e. Michael Douglas in Ant-Man).

24. Robert Merrill

Robert Merrill Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 2014
    This is what I think -

I think that 7-9 will be it for the Skywalker story. They'll tie it up nicely at the end of 9 and never go back to that timeline. Then there will be even more spin offs, TV shows and such to take us into the late 20's or early 30's. And then they'll go back to working on another trilogy. I would like a new trilogy set near the beginning of the Star Wars universe explaining the history of the Jedi and Sith but I would also like them to stay away from having another 'sith take over the galaxy' type story line because that has obviously been done before. I want something familiar but fresh.

Now I am just babbling but I would like a spin off film with Emperor Palpatine. He is just such an evil and cool looking dude that he deserves his own film. His scenes will always be my favorite, they're just so dark and moody and ohhhh gooooooodnesss I just LOVE IT.

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  25. Robert Merrill

Robert Merrill Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 2014

I don't know so much about the super hero mania that is going on right now with the studios and its fans. I think that will fade out by the early 2020's BUT I do think that Disney will most definitely have to rethink its strategy when it comes to making another trilogy after the ST. They can't just continue the Skywalker line. It needs to need in 9. Has to.

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.