main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will there ever be another live action Star Wars movie?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by IAMJOEKING, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IAMJOEKING

IAMJOEKING Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2010
    I really hope so. I would prefer if it were a pre-prequel, maybe going into Yoda and Sidious' lives. Ideally, I'd like a Darth Maul movie but they really ruined his backstory and killed him off AGAIN. I wouldn't want to see that.

2. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010
    I'd like to see a tales of the jedi era film myself.

3. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    The idea is good...but I don't know though. I would say no only because I don't wanna be dissapointed. Maybe if Lucas was 100% involved or close that than yes.

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Highly unlikely..

5. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I would love to see another trilogy of movies before the prequals. And they wouldn't need to be set only three years apart. One should be the begining of the Jedi order and the next could be the KotOR era and the third could be a bridge to the PT just like ROTS was to the PT.

6. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    I'd like to see a reboot of the PT ...

But I know it'll never happen. :mad:

7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Nice idea for more movies, but it probably won't happen.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  9. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    The only reason why this meme is still even remotely amusing to me is because: THAT SONG ****ING RULES!

Anyway. Sequel Trilogy? As long as Lucas was the one directing, fine by me. Get another writer, but don't put a hack behind the camera. Same goes for it he was ever serious about a Prequel to the Prequels, and I do think I remember reports of him mulling about an animated and/or television project detailing the Sith Empire and its eventual collapse thanks to backstabing Sith Lords and the advent of the Jedi Knights. I also think I remember hearing Yoda being involved somehow, though that would've required a retcon (again: fine by me).

Whatever. I'd much rather see a sequel to "THX 1138" at this point than anything SW related.

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

I don't think there will ever be a new Star Wars film...Mostly just cos of timeframe-even if they start in a couple years, it would be after 2020 that a new trilogy finishes!! GL would be almost what, 80 by then? I would be ok with someone else directing, but GL still would need to oversee the process...

If they DID, though I would like to see it take place about 1000-2000 years before TPM. There's some good story opportunity there, with the Sith war and different characters and all that. Maybe something during the time of Darth Bane, but not JUST focusing on the Sith...It could be great-all new main characters, fresh new storyline, different look to technology, even the Jedi could have different outfits, different colored lightsabers and there would be many more double-bladed lightsabers, an army of Sith...It could be great! Fresh and new, but still that same Star Wars feel! Something I thought might be interesting to see is a brief mention of the "prophecy" as well.

11. Master_Angela

Master_Angela Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2010
    I've always wanted to see a 3.5 episode.
    Focusing on where Luke, Leia, and Han came from.
    Yes I realize they are born in episode three. (luke and Leia)
    but i would like to see more of luke being on tatooine and leia working for senator organa in alderaan, and they never even mention where Han grew up in the movies.

I thought it was cool to see where vader started, the slave boy on tatooine.

12. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I'd put money on there being another live-action SW film - for a start, it's highly likely they'll kick off the live-action TV series with a theatrical release, just as they did with TCW (or perhaps further down the track).

GL also made vague comments a few years ago, when TCW got underway, about making a film about "the Old, Old Republic", which, it seems, everyone's hankering for. Doubt he'll do much more than supervise it if it happens, it'd be the equivalent of an EU story or stories.

Just don't expect to see post-ROTJ films featuring the heroes of the OT. The actual Eps VII-IX won't happen, there's other threads that cover why.

13. Sith-Spitter01

Jan 26, 2010

I love The Phantom Menace though....:_|

Well, they still haven't shown a lot of the First Great Schism and I know George back when the KOTOR game came out that he considered making a film set farther back in that era. but then again, artists consider many things and never end up putting them into action, that's just how you brainstorm ideas.

However, if I had MY way, I'd say an animated or live action trilogy of The Great Hyperspace War...since it is already shown on Palps' wall in ROTS so it's clear it hasn't been forgotten in the tome that is the Star Wars canon. NAGA SADOW IS A BEAST!!

14. sith-lord-dore

sith-lord-dore Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    I remember when the clone wars cartoon movie came out george lucas said something along the lines of it a story about anakin skywalker and the rest of the cartoons and that are all foot note so yeah highly doubt there will be no movie

15. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I could see a live action made-for-tv movie happening.

16. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I sure miss that feeling that only a brand new Star Wars movie signed Lucas can give me, so I would love it if it happened.
    I have my doubts, though.

Where there's life, there's hope
    /LM

17. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Lucas will never make another theatrical Star Wars (discounting a possible TV series being launched in cinemas), but will there ever be another? That's quite a timeframe you're talking about. Star Wars as a property will always exist. Someone will always own Star Wars and be in position to make money from it. In that light, I think there will be more Star Wars movies at some point or other. Remakes, reboots, sequels, prequels. At some point the Star Wars film universe we know and love/hate will be just one of the several Star Wars film universes out there.

If there's one thing film history has taught us: Valuable property never sleeps.

18. Sith-Spitter01

Jan 26, 2010
    Come on! NAGA SADOW!! Sith swords,vibroblades,spaceships with sails, and best of all....lightsabers on cords!!!

19. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    its possible we may see another movies franchise set within the star wars universe but without the 'star wars' tag. the "star wars" movie series is done with though. from 1-6, chronologically its a story about anakin skywalker. it begins with his discovery and ends with his death. anything else set before or after would be something else. i think the question should be, what happens long after Lucas dies. morbid thought, i know. but it'll happen. will his passing give others any room or licence to do things he wouldn't have seen done himself. how will his or his heirs holding of the rights affect things? i really dont know. one thing im sure of is that if lucas did do an old republic movie, it wouldn't be called star wars at all.

20. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    As long as it has nothing to do with the OT/PT time or characters, George can go crazy making movies. To some, George is now 3/3. Some people like the saga, a lot don't. I hope he doesn't go there anymore. Quit while you're even, George. Besides, that story line is ended.

21. DarthDoom34

DarthDoom34 Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2010
    The Billion dollar profit almost guarantees there will be another star wars movie. Lucas sold the prequels out for profit. Why would anyone think he would not make 3 more for money? This man has said so many things and then claimed he never said it and or turned around and did what he said he would never do it is unreal. There will be more films. Bet your bottom dollar on that.

22. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    under the helm of Lucas, the odds of that happening aren't great. he wants to move it into television. the "star wars" movie series is done.

23. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    The Star Wars property will pass to his heirs, possibly under the guidance of a board of some sort. It's comparable to the Tolkien Estate situation. In that case the heirs license the property for others to play with, but they stay out of it themselves. The Tolkien family's attitude to the Jackson movie project was "okay, go ahead, but we don't want to hear anything about it." This will most likely be the Star Wars situation after Lucas' time. His heirs will certainly be interested in, and rightfully allowed to, make money from licensing the property. This will undoubtedly include some sort of movie project down the line. But I can imagine Lucas stipulating that direct remakes of his own films are not to happen.

But d_arblay, there's much potential for TV series in this universe, don't you think? :)

In a way, I'm much more psyched about Star Wars moving to television, because of the huge leaps that have been made in that medium since the early 90s. We got quantum leaps with Twin Peaks and The X Files, and in later years we have had hugely inventive shows with amazing production values, like The Wire, Carnivale, LOST, 24, Battlestar Galactica, etc etc.

One of my favourite book series is being made into a motion picture now: Hyperion by Dan Simmons. God, I wish it was being made into a TV series instead...

24. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    haha, yes the options are endless [face_thinking]

25. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    This is not the case with Tolkien's works - the movie rights to The Hobbit & LOTR were sold long ago by JRR Tolkien himself (initially to Saul Zaentz, I think, leading to the animated Saul Bass films), & the estate has no control over any films made, although, as I understand it, they are entitled to a percentage of profits. Christopher Tolkien has made it quite clear that he has no interest in movies being made from his father's work, hence his refusal to sell the rights to any of the other works, largely The Silmarillion.

However, I doubt very much that this will be the position Lucas' heirs will take, other than to follow any specific wishes GL has regarding the franchise, which will probably be to leave the 'Star Wars Saga', i.e. Episodes I-VI, the story of the Skywalkers, as it is. Which means there won't be any direct continuation of the saga, no episodes VII onwards. Anything else, whether it's KOTOR era stuff, a Yoda story, the earliest days of the GFFW, perhaps even stories set millennia after the Battle Of Endor, will most likely be fair game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.