main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Will there ever by another X-Wing/TIE Fighter game?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by ObiWanandonly, Sep 23, 2012.

1. ObiWanandonly

ObiWanandonly Jedi Padawan

Sep 23, 2012
    It's been so long, I've assumed that Lucasarts has abandoned any new Star Wars flight simulators. I remember a friend giving me the floppy discs for the first TIE fighter game (all 6 or so of them, lol). It was a unique aspect of Star Wars that no other games offered. I guess I was just feeling nostalgic while doing space missions in SWTOR...

Yunners likes this.
  2. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    There were rumors of work being started on another one years ago, but the plans were likely shelved indefinately along with Star Wars: Obi-Wan, Force Unleashed III and Battlefront III.

I know what you mean though, I was hoping for proper ship to ship combat in SWTOR, instead we got a Rebel Assault clone. : /

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I haven't even got to play the likes of the X-wing and TIE Fighter series, mainly because I didn't have a computer and was rather young at the time, but I would definitely like to see a revival of the genre. I have actually played a few flight simulators, but I am not very good and no longer have a joystick for the ones available to me.

4. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    I only ever owned X-Wing, although I did get to play a little bit of TIE Fighter, XvT, and XWA. Really miss those games, especially since they promoted the idea that the Rebellion was fought mostly by non-Jedi muggles (even if two of the protagonists were offscreen revealed to be latent Force-sensitives). I'd love to see a sequel set in New Republic times and get some new fighters like the E-wing and K-wing. The E-wing in particular would be a fun one - take the durability of a Y-wing or even a B-wing, the B-wing's torpedo capacity, and put it in a spaceframe with the speed and agility of a TIE Interceptor.

5. Hightower

Hightower Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2005
    I would love to see another Star Wars space combat sim. I think it's time to try one. As I mentioned in another recent post, LucasArts would do well to create a competitive head-to-head game that allowed the players to fly fighters and earn experience to research and purchase upgrades, a la World of Tanks/World of Warplanes/Tribes.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The space combat in Galaxies & Battlefront 2 was OK, but it would be good to have another space combat game on its own

7. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    They could have at least made the space combat in Battlefront 2 more believable.

8. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    They tried to cover too many areas in Battlefront 2, it became a jack of all trades, but a master of none.

9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Something more along the lines of the Battlefront Extreme mod is how I imagine Battlefront 2 should have been.

10. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    I've not heard of that one, how did it improve the game?

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    It added so many things, including a lot of EU material like shadow stormtroopers, clone commandos, and ARC troopers, and a visual overhaul, including more varied legions of clone troopers. Here is a link to the final version of the mod.

Yunners likes this.
  12. Andrelious

Andrelious Jedi Knight

Sep 26, 2012
    In some ways, is it not a good thing that LA have gone another direction?

Given the general fall in quality (IMHO anyway) of their games since XWA, a new X-Wing series game would probably have some turd-class features, such as a poorly concieved storyline or gameplay more along the lines of Rogue Squadron or Rebel Assault...

13. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    I think XvT was a bit of a disappointment, but I really enjoyed XWA. Especially when the upgrade project came along. I think I must have flown the Death star mission more than any other in the X-wing series combined.