main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Will they survive? / Couldn't someone have lived?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by thedeco, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I just assumed they will all die.

2. MasterMoolah

MasterMoolah Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    Save the Rebellion! Save the dream!!

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  3. CrackedKyberCrystal

CrackedKyberCrystal Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 9, 2016
    I think most will; be killed off. Jyn's fate will probably be unclear at movie's end.

4. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I hope most die. Have a nice bleak ending!

I know that won't happen though lol

5. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I've been seeing all kinds of "spoilers" so can anyone confirm characters fates yet?

starocean90 likes this.
  6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

They're supposed to meet their fate...if rumours from people who attended the premier are to be believed.

starocean90 likes this.
  7. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Yup they all die. The rumors of Cassian and Jyn surviving sound to be bogus and just to rile people up on the IMDB boards.

starocean90 and Dark Horse like this.
  8. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    well glad to know this in advance.
    Now I know to expect my enjoyment of this film to go down.

Might as well root for Lord Vader and the Empire. Death to those Rebel scum.:vader::redsaber::deathstar:

Django Fett likes this.
  9. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    How disappointing.

It seems that Star Wars according to Disney is no longer the tale of the optimist but instead of the cynic.

The idea that regardless what will happen in life, it will suck, is not a good life message [face_shame_on_you]

10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

I have to disagree, the optimism is there in the form of Mon Mothma and her Rebel Alliance. It's also very present in the underlying story of Anakin's daughter, she may not play a huge part yet but her story starts at the very end of this story and she is as we know one half of the new hope of the galaxy.

11. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    Yeah and that all gets ruined with TFA.

12. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016

Wow. Quite literal-minded, are we?

How about the message that self-sacrifice and hope in the face of evil and tyranny, while potentially costly in terms of blood and treasure, ultimately advances the cause of freedom and justice? Or that that there are some things worth fighting, and dying, for? After all, we know they are successful in stealing the Death Star plans, and that this directly leads to the weakening of the Empire, which ultimately ends in its defeat.

Though all the main characters might die, the story still offers an inspiring message about hope vs. despair. A small band of diverse people working together can defy an enormously oppressive force, and play a significant and historic role in taking it down. Sounds like a good message to me.

Not to mention a timely one.

As MLK said, "The arc of history is long, but it bends towards justice." The Rogue One crew were some of the key people doing that "bending" in the GFFA. As were the OT crew. And as the ST crew will do as well.

Sarge likes this.
  13. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    ^eh, I already gave my reasons in other threads with my problem with that supposed message. You and others don't agree that's fine but neither do I agree with any of your post.

I know this excites people
    but the truth is everyone dying in a war movie is nothing new, there are plenty of war films were everyone dies and all of them are usually about sacrifice/hope too. And every single one of those movies, I can't watch them more than once. Just not my cup of tea.

glad that the next anthology film is a Han Solo film and what didn't help RO is that this movie depends too much on ANH, needs to align to much with that film. Which forces all the characters to die.

14. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    everyone died at the alamo. but it was a necessery disaster for texas cause it bought sam houston time to train his army, not to mention give the troops a rallying cry.

here the death of our R1 team isnt even a defeat in the short term because the rebels as a whole win the battle, steal the plans, and transmit them to leia.

15. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    See, I would be more forgiving of this film (and give it a pass that this characters sacrificed themselves for the Rebellion's cause) if it wasn't for TFA, which combined tantamounts to the idea that everyone who walks in the SW universe will lead a miserable life.

Sorry if that makes me "literal-minded" individual but hey that's how I feel. And hey, I still may enjoy the movie and like it, but it won't be the same

starocean90 likes this.
  16. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    well pretty much lucas made that clear in the PT.

so i dont know why your blaming TFA For it.

17. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    Nope.

Yes, the characters in the PT suffered, but the idea behind it was that the next generation would be better off after learning of the consequences, and live better lives.

That was undone with TFA.

starocean90 likes this.
  18. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    Pretty safe to say Luke. Leia and Han led better lives then Vader, Padme and Obi-Wan.

19. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    because things that seemingly end well probalby unravel within a generation.

world war 1 'was the war to end all wars' and yet 20 years later we had one far worse with far worse monsters.

20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I do agree that TFA was awfully harsh on the Heroes who won the day in Return of the Jedi. They deserved to go off and live happily ever after. But what JJ did with those characters was pretty brave and interesting, though cruel. It provides solid dramatic meat for the Saga to continue on and keeps those old characters right in the middle of the new story.

I hope, Rian and Colin, that you can give Luke and Leia at the end of it all some peace. Let 'em retire. Alive. Let Luke return to Tatooine and see the double sunset again.

21. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    well they all certianly lived longer.

22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I understand if for some the ending is unecessarily bleak and a bit of a downer, but for me at least it's consistent with the themes of the series. We've seen the OT already, so not only do we know that the plans make it the Alliance and the Death Star is destroyed, we also know that the Empire itself is defeated a few years later. Our heroes die in Rogue One, but their deaths were not in vain; their sacrifice allowed the Rebellion to win, and that's admirable because there are some things in life worth fighting and dying for.

I also don't necessarily feel The Force Awakens undoes any of that, any more than a new war undoes the victory that ended a different war three decades prior. I'm also presuming Episode IX ends with the final defeat of the First Order, and thus the remnants of the Empire, so this will all end in the heroes winning and good triumphing over evil. It's just not an easy path to get there, because the things worth fighting for always require sacrifice.

Sarge likes this.
  23. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    heck we know the rebels win the battle that the R1 team dies at.

24. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    Supposedly...K2 goes out in a hail of gunfire. Krennic, Baze, & (Chirrut?) get killed by Vader. Jyn & Cassian die on the beach of Scarif from the DS firing on them. Galen & Bodhi... don't know yet.

Sent from my Y538 using Tapatalk

25. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    so much conflicting info. heard they all die. heard vader kills some of them. heard vader kills all of them heard jyn and cassian survive.