main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will this be a weaponless convention?

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by JediToren, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    I know that some SF and Fantasy cons are weaponless, even prop weapons (OryCon went so far as to not allow my friend's ROTJ Luke Skywalker Lightsabre). Anyone know what the case was for Celebration I and/or what it will be for Celebration II?

2. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I hope not. I'd be a poor stormtrooper without my E-11. :(

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, all the stormies and Fetts and Darth Vader's would look REALLY retarded without their weapons.

Bah, I think they'll let them in.

4. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    For right now, we have been told to tell everyone that no blasters or blaster type weapons are allowed. Sorry guys, we don't like it either. For right now, don't count on anything other than sabers, I'd say.

5. Morgan Solo

Morgan Solo Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 20, 2000
    For the record, weapons were allowed at the Denver Celebration, and were for sale in the vendors tent.

The world today is a very different place.

If it turns out you can have your blaster as part of your costume, be sure to put it in your checked baggage if you are travelling by air. It may get confiscated if you try to carry it on.

6. vadersfist

vadersfist Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2001
    I hope we can at least bring our silly toy sabers. How do you show entusiasm for SW without waving one of those?! ;)

7. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    If you are going to fly to Indianapolis, talk to the airline and the airport first, even for a prop sabre. Mine would probably look like a pipe-bomb to them. And if there is some kind of agreement reached beforehand where they check your stuff out, be sure you have something in writing.

8. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I hadn't really thought about that...makes you really think about how things have changed.

I'm just glad I don't have to fly to Indy, although a long car drive is in store for me (5 hours I'm being told). My sympathies go out to anyone who catched flak at the airport for trying to transport blasters through an airport.

As for the convention, wonder if they'll have to get the guy from "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" going : "No blades...no bows...leave your weapons here..." See if anyone gets the obscure movie reference :)

9. mgmcpa

mgmcpa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2001
    At Celebration I they were inconsistent. Each day I had a replica Leia gun in my holster. Twice I had no problem getting into the main hall, but on Sunday they made me leave it in the car. My husband's light saber was no issue. Perhaps we'll be able to get an ok on light sabers at least.

10. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    We're going to keep an eye on things and make sure to find out all the details as soon as they tell us :) Yeah I don't want to be there without my saber either

11. Jedireject

Jedireject Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2001
    Using good common sense is important, too. If you have a metal replica gun leave it at home. At Celebration I some guy tried to come in with a Han Blaster converted from the REAL gun they based it on. It still had a working hammer. Needless to say he was busted and they cracked down on weapons after that. Stick to resin and plastic blasters. Celebration is definately not the place to show off your converted WWII MG-34 or British Lewis Machine gun. I doubt there will be much issue with a painted kenner blaster since I'm sure they will be selling them inside.

12. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    I have never had a problem going anywhere with a saber, but that was before all of this terrorism scared everyone.
    We will be driving to Indy, so the airlines are not an issue.
    However.
    The troopers on guard-duty will look a little silly with out even holstered blasters.
    If we can't wear our blasters, then I am going to have to add a saber hook to my trooper-belt.
    In any case, it just won't look right.

13. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    No one could mistake my cheap kenner repaint for a real blaster. :)

14. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    As a matter of fact, I contacted Wotc regarding that matter. They told me that "exact weapon replicas" will not be allowed. That probably means that any resin weapon should be allowed.

15. Grand Moff Touch

Grand Moff Touch Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 1999
    Krash, that would be Robin Hood: Men in Tights for your obscure movie reference.

16. Faceplant

Faceplant Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2000
    Hi guys,
    I usually hang around the prop forums and my local FF forum. I am not sure about the Celebration procedures, but I did some research on the airlines policies and would like to spread what I have learned.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mirax H brought up an interesting subject.

What is the best way to transport props and replicas? I decided to get to the bottom of it and called the major airlines with service to Indianapolis. I got more or less the same information from all of them.

I called American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, Delta, America West and Air Canada.

The survey said:

--CARRY ON IS A DEFINITE "NO". Anything resembling a weapon will be confiscated, at best.

--When checking bags, declare that you are carrying a prop or toy that could be mistaken for a harmful instrument.

It is legal to check an actual firearm. The procedure is to declare that there is a weapon and it has to be in a locked case. Ammunition has to be in a separate locked case, but that won't pertain to us. These cases will be clearly marked by the airlines. These cases will not come out the conveyer with the rest of the luggage. You must seek the respective office and show ID to get your cases. The worst case is that the prop will be treated like a actual weapon, and you may be required to have it in a locking suitcase or container. Realize that if you pack it in your suitcase, it is subject to a search.

I also asked about lightsabers. As a precaution I would recommend following the same protocol. To the uneducated an x-rayed fancy lightsaber could appear threatening.

I can't remember which rep mentioned it, but it was suggested that your mark your transport container with "PROPS" or "TOY" or "COSTUME" or "STARWARS".

Jenna from Continental knew all about the props and was telling me stuff about resin blasters. She was not aware of the Celebration and I offered to email her the URL. Her email address is a derivative of Jar Jar Binks. Penny with America West wouldn't let me off the phone until I gave her Sebulba's name. She has a puppy that she said looks like him when he gets annoyed. She can never remember his name. Also, Mike from Delta wished me MTFBWY.

It shouldn't have to be said, but they put "Do not take orally" on Preparation H for a reason. If we all exercise a little caution we should be able to avoid simultaneously shutting down 8 major airports.

Disclaimer: this information is subject to change, so you may want to ask when you book your flight and maybe check again a few days before in case policies change.

I am seriously considering driving....

17. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Wow thanks for that info. I think I might post that a few more places if you don't mind. I know this has been an issue for a few costuming groups so it would be good to let them know this info.

Thanks again for the info. That is extremely helpful.

As for flying, I know a lot of people have had issues with flying. I myself, although not flying out of or into huge cities, have had no fears. I've flown twice and I'm going to fly again in a few weeks. Heck my mom went to France and Las Vegas no problem. Yeah you might be inconvenienced at the airport with security measures, but if you're impatient like me, I don't like to drive in the car all that long. ;) My boyfriend and I tried doing that to St. Louis in November and it's only 4 hours away. We didn't fight or anything, it's just been awhile since I've been in a car that long.

18. Faceplant

Faceplant Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2000
    It was my pleasure and actually quite fun to do.

There is nothing proprietary about this information so feel free to re-post it wherever (I don't even need credit).

Cya in Indy!

19. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    The new Celebration 2 Journal should put this question to rest (for the time being anyway):
    "Fold up that Star Wars costume and get it in the suitcase now. You will be able to compete against other creative fans in the Celebration II Costume Contest. Don't forget your accessories: lightsaber, boots, blaster replica, gaderffii stick, helmet -- whatever you need to complete your look."

20. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Just for a tad clarification, though, for right now I'd assume those are the resim replicas and not ones made from actual weapons.

21. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    I decided to e-mail WotC and get an answer:

Hello,

All costumes will be inspected onsite and okayed on a case by case basis.
    Feel free to bring any aspect of your costume you like (excluding real
    weapons), and it will simply be okayed when you arrive.

We'll be posting an update to the FAQ within the next couple of weeks and
    I'll be sure to clarify this issue.

Thank you,

Rob Bane, Program Manager
    Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

22. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Good Job JediToren.

That should put many people at ease.

I will pass it on to my 501st Buddies.

23. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Hey, I also wrote Wotc regarding resin weapons, and here is what they had to say:

"All weapon replicas are being inspected and accepted on a case by case
    basis. I can't make any guarentees without our security team actually seeing
    the costume."

Thank you,

Rob Bane, Program Manager
    Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

So don't expect to get your resin replica through security for sure yet.

24. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    Grand Moff Touch, Krash was right, It's from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I've never seen Men in Tights, and I know that line. Plus, Prince of Thieves is one of my favorite movies aside from Star Wars.

As for me bringing any weapons, I'll probably be bringing one of the toy lightsabers that I have, since I don't think I can afford to build one.

25. TK-507

TK-507 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2002
    A stormtrooper without his blaster would be pointless. Okay, so we can't hit the broad side of a barn ...but we NEED our blasters!

I think, because of the SW Insider quote, we should be okay!

KG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.