main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will this movie ignore the prequels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Star Wars fan94, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Well I was sort of joking. But for space soap opera, a lot of people on here are really concerned with realism. So I think some of them might actually like that bowel movement conversation. ;)

If you gave some an option between a BM or the return of Vader or Sidious, I'm pretty sure they would choose the BM. [face_laugh]

But seriously, I do think the more realistic style of the OT helps make space opera more believable. The problem comes when we disagree over what kind of real is realistic in space opera. You think the netherworld would be realistic; others don't. So I do think there is a tension between people that respect the world of the GFFA and those who want to make Star Wars more like our world. I'm with you on the dialogue part; the OT is much superior in that aspect.

Immortiss likes this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I respect the world of SW and I definitely go in with a suspension of disbelief. But only to a point. Bringing Vader and Palpatine back is just too over the top and what's worse it's just bad storytelling. I certainly don't want SW to turn into The Dark Knight or something but I also don't want to see it become a joke.

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    It will ignore all six Star Wars films and turn out to be something else entirely. Overboard 2 maybe.

Dra--- and darklordoftech like this.
  4. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    There may be some very brief passing references. But, I don't think they will have much if any relevance to the story.

5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's called Episode VII isn't it?

Darth Eddie, Poor Greedo and Dra--- like this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What about revealing Star Wars to be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (I hope this is on topic)

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Like it or not, the prequels happened and I expect there to be references to it, even if it happens to be a miniscule amount.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I want to see an Eta-2 Interceptor or newer model in the ST.

Darth Eddie likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    An Eta-3 Interceptor?

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Or 4 or 5 since it will be several decades later.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    that works too

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    JJ Abrams sorta hinted on Howard Stern that he disliked the prequels and that this movie wont have much to do with them. Howard said SOMETHING like "it must suck having to follow-up those god-awful last three films" and JJ said SOMETHING like "well those were prequels that took place before the originals and ours takes place after. those are history. which is awesome."

Dra--- likes this.
  13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I understand where you and others are coming from. But over the top is relative to the rules of the GFFA world. In the GFFA world, technology is like magic and the force can be used to sustain life, and maybe even create it (ROTS).

Is it necessarily bad storytelling? That's up for debate. Coming back to life is certainly a cliche, but sometimes cliches work just fine in movies. It depends on how they're executed. It's also subjective: I don't take the SW universe too seriously. That is, because I view it as space opera, fantasy/sci-fi, I actually wouldn't mind immortality or resurrection. It's sort of like saying there should be no war in a war movie, because that's cliche. Sure it's cliche, but it's also what makes the world the world. It's the world's furniture.

Having said that, I want to be clear that I'm arguing for the realism of these types of things in Star Wars. Not necessarily that I want them to happen. I just don't think they would be that bad if they did, depending upon their execution.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    NO POOP JOKES!!! If I hear ickyickypoo or peeyoosa, there'll be hell to pay!

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ha ha lol. Any ship from the PT being in the background is fine by me.

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

That would be.....interesting

17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It's bad storytelling because the heroes spent six movies trying to defeat Palpatine and bringing him back would make those films pointless. As for Vader he is Anakin now so I really don't know how you'd bring him back and I don't want to find out.

Darth_Pevra and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Thank you! You put it perfectly!

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    James Bond villains often reappear. Comic book villains often do. Great villains return, and it's a trope of space opera, fantasy, and the old serials.

But to respond to your point more directly. How does the return of Palpatine ruin the PT since he was alive and undefeated in those films? As well as the first two films of the OT. He wasn't defeated in any of those 5 films.

He was apparently defeated in episode six. Would his return in the next episode or two ruin episode six? What else happened in six? The Empire was defeated. His return wouldn't necessarily delete that achievement. Luke helped to redeem Vader. Did Vader redeem himself by killing Palaptine, or by trying to kill him? He redeemed himself by becoming good again and helping to destroy the empire. Even with Palpatine's return, none of those things would be changed.

I don't see how the return of the main villain would ruin anything. Ruin what? If anything, you can make a strong argument that having a different main villain than the first six episodes is bad storytelling. It's asymmetrical. Incoherent. Possibly non-organic.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Vader redeemed himself by sacrificing himself to save another.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Actually Vader didn't sacrifice himself, Anakin did :p

Dra--- likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I guess so.

23. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm not an advocate of Anakin coming back in any form. Well, maybe force ghost.

I do advocate some new version of the Vader look.

Immortiss likes this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The six films all lead up to his defeat in Episode VI and all the characters sacrifices, struggles and ultimate victory would be rendered meaningless if Palpatine suddenly just popped back up. I don't care what's in Bond or comics it's not something I want to see in SW.

EDIT: Another thing is that Anakin and Palpatine's stories are intrinsically linked with each other. Anakin's journey begins just as Palpatine takes his first step in the grand plan. Anakin turns to the dark side just as Palpatine makes his final bid for power. And the pivotal moment in Anakin's life is when he finally breaks free of his evil master and destroys him. I think it would be a huge disservice to Anakin's character arc if that is ruined by bringing him back.

Darth_Pevra and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  25. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Would you like to see Palpatine/Sidious back? It would be interesting to sit down and write all the pros and cons down to such a question. I'm sure our current writers have already done some such exercise to answer this question.

Dra--- and darklordoftech like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.